Home

NHL 09 Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Hands-On Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 09 Hands-On Preview

As we continue our series of previews this week, Chase Becotte checks in with a look at EA Sports' newest hockey title NHL 09 in his hands-on preview.

Quote:
"The NHL 09 team isn’t falling into a trap this year, even though, according to EA, NHL 08 won something like seven sports game of the year awards in 2008. Before I recently got my hands on the game though, I’ll be honest and say I was a little bit worried about NHL 09. As remarkable as some of the new online features sounded, the gameplay didn’t look that different in videos. It still seemed to be based around dishing up the wing, skating in, and firing on helpless goaltenders who would inevitably be facing a barrage of shots for the entirety of the game. You’d think at this point I would know better than to assume things before getting hands-on time with a game."

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Sounds good! Bring on the demo!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 09 Hands-On Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
Sounds good! Bring on the demo!
yar!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
I can't wait to try this game. They really seem to have fine-tuned a great game in all the right ways with the defensive control additions. I continue to be amazed at how this development team refuses to rest on their laurels, and instead strives to improve this fantastic title.

Last edited by Flyermania; 08-19-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4
"It also seems like goalies may still have a tough time stopping the dreaded fly-across-the-crease-and-flip-it-up-high-top-shelf maneuver -- a tactic that has been effective since the inception of EA’s NHL series."

If its executed correctly, show me an NHL goalie who stops this regularly. Only gripe I have, is that in EA's game its executed correctly WAY too easily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Very true. Why doesn't this happen in real hockey more? Because you get punished physically for doing it. In game there is no fear of actual injury or simulated injury, so just repeat ad nauseum.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan
"It also seems like goalies may still have a tough time stopping the dreaded fly-across-the-crease-and-flip-it-up-high-top-shelf maneuver -- a tactic that has been effective since the inception of EA’s NHL series."

If its executed correctly, show me an NHL goalie who stops this regularly. Only gripe I have, is that in EA's game its executed correctly WAY too easily.
I just don't like that it's so easy to flip it up high all the time.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17
Seems like all the hope that 07 brought has somehow been lost by failing to address things that have dogged the series for years. "the dreaded fly-across-the-crease-and-flip-it-up-high-top-shelf maneuver" being one example. I wonder if there will be more penalties this year? Another EA week point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »