Home

NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports)

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #25
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Someone needs to learn about Hockey. Any ways I like 2k9 and I like 09 so I will be very happy with both.

I'm 23 and played hockey since I was 2. I know hockey. And I know video games. I know quality when I see it, and 2k hockey over the past 3 years is the epitome of crap quality. I don't need to see the full game to know it's not my bad.

I respect others buying it, heck, I bought it for a 4 year period too, but now, it's just not a good game to me. I don't think how a fighting engine works o r a faceoff system are good ways to gauge the quality of a game either, for the record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 47

Well heck if you been playing hockey since you were 2 and you are now 23. Yep, that is expert. I kid, I was just heated by "Any" remark you made. I am cool now. I really like the vids and they have fixed the D. Passing seems still easy, but maybe sliders can fix that,
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
...2K isn't a "Demo" game.This series has always played better after some time tweaking th sliders.2K9 does look light years behind EA as far as player models and such go.The AI looks better than 2K8.The fighting looks more realistic than 09's.The faceoff system and goalie AI was also better last year than EA's.Should be this year as well,unless EA tweaked their goalies and faceoff method.Point being,while the animations and graphics may lack for 2K,there is a fair amount of things good about their hockey games.
Prior to the 360/PS3 I'd be inclined to agree, the issue is half the sliders 9 out of 10 times either A) flat out don't work B) affect another aspect of play that it shouldn't or C) make it so you spend far more time tweaking sliders to try and get a sim game than actually playing the game itself.

EA has for the most part just outclassed 2k on the current gen systems in just about every aspect when it comes to hockey with the exception of controlable board pinning, a nifty face off mechanic, and floppy goaltenders who flop more than they should.

If NHL2k was still 20 dollars like it was on the previous xbox, I'd be ok with that, its when you start to add up the number of years of franchise freezes, god aweful stiff deking animations, players getting injured yet magically are out there skating on their next shift because the player didn't manually adjust the roster mid game, custom soundtracks being somewhat jacked in various ways, take the time to hire a new commentary team, then just feed them the same 4 year old script the last team used, the game still LOOKING like a last gen game 4 years into a new console cycle etc etc. That one tends to not care anymore. Even for the changes, 2k9 still looks to have the same ol stale 2k feel to it.

Sure they've made progress this year, and hopefully they're on the right track of righting the ship so to speak but imo not enough to warrant a 60 dollar purchase from me when I can just get 09, get the defensive tools I've wanted for years, (stick lifts ftw) Play an AI that is an actual threat on offense and plays solid positional hockey, and have the eye candy and atmosphere to boot. To me its a no brainer really.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #28
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Prior to the 360/PS3 I'd be inclined to agree, the issue is half the sliders 9 out of 10 times either A) flat out don't work B) affect another aspect of play that it shouldn't or C) make it so you spend far more time tweaking sliders to try and get a sim game than actually playing the game itself.

EA has for the most part just outclassed 2k on the current gen systems in just about every aspect when it comes to hockey with the exception of controlable board pinning, a nifty face off mechanic, and floppy goaltenders who flop more than they should.

If NHL2k was still 20 dollars like it was on the previous xbox, I'd be ok with that, its when you start to add up the number of years of franchise freezes, god aweful stiff deking animations, players getting injured yet magically are out there skating on their next shift because the player didn't manually adjust the roster mid game, custom soundtracks being somewhat jacked in various ways, take the time to hire a new commentary team, then just feed them the same 4 year old script the last team used, the game still LOOKING like a last gen game 4 years into a new console cycle etc etc. That one tends to not care anymore. Even for the changes, 2k9 still looks to have the same ol stale 2k feel to it.

Sure they've made progress this year, and hopefully they're on the right track of righting the ship so to speak but imo not enough to warrant a 60 dollar purchase from me when I can just get 09, get the defensive tools I've wanted for years, (stick lifts ftw) Play an AI that is an actual threat on offense and plays solid positional hockey, and have the eye candy and atmosphere to boot. To me its a no brainer really.
Oh,I understand completely.You do usually end up spending WAY too much time tweaking sliders on 2K.I also don't feel 2K9 will be worth the $60 price tag,but if my memory serves me right the price for 2K8 dropped rather fast.I expect the same will be true for 2K9 and that's when I will buy it.
2K was still in it IMO with 2K7,simply because 07 was so bare and poor with it's skating animations and framerate.2K7 was smooth feeling as ever and much deeper than 07.Too bad the goalies were brickwalls and ideas like fog,players breath,and cinemotion made it into the game.If that focus could have gone on the goalies and faceoffs of that would end up on 2K8 instead,they would have had a winner.Instead,2K7 was settled for just sucking a little less.While 2K8 showed some progress,it also took steps back.Meanwhile EA WOWED us with 08,a drastic improvement over 07.

In closing,09 is definately the hockey game for me,but at the same time I will always give 2K a chance.The complete opposite of what it use to be.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #29
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Videos looking good. I had no doubts about picking this game up this year. I agree the checking in the slot seems a bit extreme, but I'm hoping it won't be that bad with the final build.

I used to be 2k black and blue when it came to hockey, but now it seems that their games have sort of gone "downhill" so to speak. I know I'll end up trying both games this year, but I have this feeling I'll spend more time with 09.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Twitch Stream
Old 08-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
Every time someone buys a copy of 2k9, an angel loses her wings.

I don't see why ANYBODY sees ANYTHING in that game. It, again, looks awful. Everything about it. It is so unfathomably behind NHL it's not even funny. The demo is out for ps3, and its predictably awful. What a waste of money that game is. I laugh at anybody buying it. I'd rather spend 60$ on ABC gum.
Wow, now i really can't buy it . You have so many great points in that post. Everything you said about the gameplay, presentation, replays and new animations is so true. Have you considered to start writing game reviews? Huh, that post was too epic to read...

...and NHL 2K9 actually will actually cost like £24.99.

Both games for me this year. But I really hope that we can adjust the pass accuracy in 09.

Last edited by Poro24; 08-20-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

hey man im gettin nhl 09 as well and am starting a ea sports hockey league team. just wondering if u wanted to join. i have it for 360. i have about 10 recruits already but could make a starting spot for you anytime. just message me back if your interested
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #32
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
Every time someone buys a copy of 2k9, an angel loses her wings.

I don't see why ANYBODY sees ANYTHING in that game. It, again, looks awful. Everything about it.
You do realize what happens if 2k hockey goes away, right?

The NHL series becomes Madden, a $60 roster update with few improvements and little innovation. Same thing in baseball.

Is that what you want for hockey games?

2k absolutely destroyed EA hockey for years, which is the reason why the EA NHL series is where it is. If not for 2k hockey, I bet we're still playing a slightly tweaked NHL 05

As for what people see in 2k hockey:
-realistic passing
-realistic neutral zone play (because of the passing)
-more game modes (regular season, etc)

If 2k can get past their AI issues from 2k8, they could have a great hockey game as well.

The best thing for everyone is to have two great hockey games this year, and for that, I'll gladly spend $120 (I do every year). I skipped Madden this year in planning for spending more on these games.

Sports games without competition suck. Plain and simple. I'm glad to see many people still supporting 2k. Even if you hate their games, YOU benefit from them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »