Home

FIFA 09 In-Depth Hands-on (IGN)

This is a discussion on FIFA 09 In-Depth Hands-on (IGN) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
FIFA 09 In-Depth Hands-on (IGN)

IGN has posted their in-depth hands on preview of FIFA 09.

Quote:
"So after the successes of FIFA 08, 09's version struts to the pitch with a surer sense of its place on the market, building upon its forebears in a game that's shaping up to be the definitive take on the sport. It's still a case of baby steps, but this time around they're working towards a direction that's been clearly defined, and are building upon what was already an impressive and comprehensive package."

Edit: Click here for PS2 videos.
Platform: PS2 / Xbox 360

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 08-29-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: New IGN hands-on.

You know, I can't stand this talk about FIFA finally surpassing PES anymore. Every year it's the same. All the hype for the game, people getting flown to exclusive events and then this talk about the coming FIFA reign. And then I play the demo, later maybe a friends full-game and am surprised, that anyone can find it better in any way. Sure there are flaws in the PES series and there are a lot of things that EA does a good job with, but when the match starts, it just doesn't feel as good as PES.
Still, I'll check it out, but I don't expect much.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstman3000
You know, I can't stand this talk about FIFA finally surpassing PES anymore. Every year it's the same. All the hype for the game, people getting flown to exclusive events and then this talk about the coming FIFA reign. And then I play the demo, later maybe a friends full-game and am surprised, that anyone can find it better in any way. Sure there are flaws in the PES series and there are a lot of things that EA does a good job with, but when the match starts, it just doesn't feel as good as PES.
Still, I'll check it out, but I don't expect much.
But that's your opinion. There are those on this board that agree with you while there are others that feel FIFA is the better game. The topic has been beaten to death and to be honest, I don't know why so many people feel the need to "crown" the best game. Who cares? I'm just glad the competition of the genre pushes each game each year to improve. I wish it were that way for some other sports titles...
Old 08-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Totally agree with you.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Every year it's the same. All the hype for the game, people getting flown to exclusive events and then this talk about the coming FIFA reign.
This does sound like yet another EA fluff piece. Two pages of nothing except talking about the physical contact improvements.

Nothing about passing or shooting, other than how there will be no more "wayward" passes? I guess 95% pass accuracy wasn't good enough for IGN

This post is nothing against Fifa or any other game. Usually IGN is pretty decent with their soccer opinions, but this article says how great it is without ever saying what makes it great?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Sexiest Woman Alive!

Peji911's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm in the same boat. EA knows how to market and that's the bottom line. If anyone played the PC version of PES last year, I DARE you to say anything FIFA has ever published is better.

It's funny that on OS or other American forums, FIFA is praised, but on any UK, Canadian, Australia, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Brasilian.... (shall I go on?) forums, everyone hates it.

FIFA markets their products and then it gets sooo overhyped people look for the good and ignore the bad. Same thing with Madden. This was supposed to be the year and for the last 6 months, everyone said it was going to be great. Then 2 weeks after release, all the flaws come out. BUT, instead of saying how crappy it is, someone starts a '2010 wishlist'.

This is getting ridiculous. I dont care what game you prefer, but if it's good, say it's good. If it's bad, have the guts to say it's bad. That's all I ask.

I'm just sick of paying 70$ every year for a POS where they improve one factor, but ruin two others.

So here's to both games being GREAT and the soccer forums, peaceful.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peji911
It's funny that on OS or other American forums, FIFA is praised, but on any UK, Canadian, Australia, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Brasilian.... (shall I go on?) forums, everyone hates it.
Ha, I observed that, too. But the worldwide FIFA-fan-base seems to grow, though. In the past the American interest in FIFA reminded me of some reviews in German magazines for Madden games years ago: The general audience were not that informed about the sport itself. The reviews were loaded with the companys marketing lines and enriched with American Football expert knowledge. They typically scored very high.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
But the worldwide FIFA-fan-base seems to grow, though.
Probably because of people like me. I'm not a hardcore soccer guy by any means. I just want a game that plays good and looks good. I'm an unabashed graphics ho, I want my games to be pretty. Fifa is prettier than the other title. So as long as Fifa plays a decent enough game -- without any significant flaws -- I don't care if the other title is better game-play wise. I'll take the better-looking game with more licenses.

Oddly enough, I have the same view when it comes to women.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »