Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
And the BAP camera makes me a little nauseous at times, but that's why I can't play FPS so I'm not surprised...
Same here. I'm hoping you can use the default camera for this mode in the full version?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34

is this better than the 2k hockey game? i need some serious info before i go and make this purchase.
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil5050
is this better than the 2k hockey game? i need some serious info before i go and make this purchase.
Eh.. i'll make it quick

2k9 has deeper franchise mode, better sim (supposedly)
09 has better gameplay, better graphics, now BAP and online BAP

play the demos and decide
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
This is almost an impossible question to answer.

Both games do some things very well, and some not so well.
I believe that both are 'sim' games with flaws in different areas.

EA has more polish and I like their controls more while 2K has deeper and more customizable franchise options.

Both have excellent presentation qualities but I enjoy EA's commentary better.

Download both demos and give both a whirl. Play 10 games of each and then see which one feels better or is more fun for you.

It really does depends on how you like your hockey games to play. But both will give you a pretty good simulation of NHL hockey.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #29
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i haven't found much use for the pokecheck so far. maybe it's one of those things you need to play a ton to figure out how to use.
BINGO!!

first 2 days of the demo, the only poke check i tried was just the simple one, where u just press the button. at first I was just ok with this mechanic and completely blew using the stick sweep poke check.

After more and more games, it feels great now, I'm a pokechecking machine especially with the stick sweep, even perfecting the art of deflecting passes by the stick sweep. You definitely need to practice with this. Another aspect people forget is the game speed and pass speed of the demo. Yes the default game speed is slower somewhat compared to last year's default game speed( used in demo), but it's STILL too fast. The pass speed is also way too fast. If you slow the game /pass speed down to more realistic levels, you will have more success in the pokecheck and sticksweep mechanisms. Certainly helped last year, should help even more this year.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #30
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Impressions after playing 3 periods on All-Star
Great stuff, Timmay! This is exactly what I'll be looking/hoping for once we all get some time with the actual game. I'd like to pull together some thoughtful and well-written mini-reviews like yours from our community to email to the EA community manager for him to pass along to the dev team after release. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Same here. I'm hoping you can use the default camera for this mode in the full version?
My thoughts exactly. I don't/can't mess with the BAP camera in FIFA, I just use the Tele cam.

Quote:
There is no way to answer this question at this point. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to wait until both games are out for a week or so to get a better feel for what they have to offer. Also, with so much of it being subjective, others opinions may not necessarily tell the whole story...

I only had about 45 minutes this morning before I left for work (and I was still late -- oops) but I managed to get in 1 regular game on All-Star and two BAP games on Pro. I haven't played 08 in a month or so, so I was rusty to say the least. I didn't have a feel for the new controls, so I can't really give any worthwhile impressions at this point. I'll probably give it a good run tonight, assuming the wife cooperates...

My first take is that the default settings are much more palatable this year. It still feels a little fast for my taste, but much better than 08 default. I may actually be able to stomach ranked games. Hitting power is overdone, but we know that can (and will) be toned down via sliders. Shooting seems better and I particularly enjoyed seeing some weak backhanded shots that would have been ripped last year.

I'm hesitant to comment on the AI & teammate positioning after such a short time, but my initial reaction was that my AI-controlled d-men still backed into the slot and gave away the blueline too easily. But that could be due to the strategy I was playing and what not; as I said, I only got a period of regular play in so who knows.

Be A Pro was fun; I played one as Crosby and one as Hank. I found that I'm the opposite of the previous poster who said he was better on the wing than at center. I did find some of the positioning arrows to be somewhat questionable in certain situations. I'd like to think that I know where to be on the ice and often it wasn't where the arrow was telling me. FWIW, I still earned an A- for that aspect. Oh and I didn't score aside from the shootout, but I hit the post two or three times. Man is going to feel good to finally score! I completely understand and agree with the idea of making a good play of any kind being more rewarding in BAP mode. On a side note, I often play as a DM in FIFA OTP and it is so great to score or set up a goal on my one or two chances that I get to contribute to the scoresheet...

Once I get more time, I'll try to give more in-depth thoughts. But at first blush, I'd have to agree that major steps were taken, although there may well be more that are needed. Until later,

Steve
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Can someone test to see if the famous "slap" pass is still in the game.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #32

OVR: 34

If the Be A Pro Mode works as described, this may very well be the best sports video game ever made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »