Home

NHL 2K9 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 22
Yeah, the ratings in EAs game are mind boggling at times, like Franzen in EAs game, a 74! WTF... just an example. THen some players like edmonton and chicago are all rated higher than similar performing players. Quite WTF.
Chelios is a 84 in EAs game and Kronwall is a 76 or something like than. Mind boggling.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 2K9 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
Yeah, the ratings in EAs game are mind boggling at times, like Franzen in EAs game, a 74! WTF... just an example. THen some players like edmonton and chicago are all rated higher than similar performing players. Quite WTF.
Chelios is a 84 in EAs game and Kronwall is a 76 or something like than. Mind boggling.
FWIW, I believe it was stated by EA that in the final build roster Franzen would be an 80, as the numbers in the beta build were not final. That said, yes the ratings (especially overall) are odd in numerous cases, which is part of what caused me to edit nearly every NHL player in 08...

I guess everyone will never be happy with ratings though, as they are so subjective. I know I'm guilty of over-valuing certain players based on the team they play for (ie, the Penguins) at times. For example, last year I re-rated Colby Armstrong to an 80 or 81. Well, after the trade, I thought to myself -- "81? Nah, he should probably be more like a 78 or 79..."

More on the topic, the individual penalty sliders are cool, as well as the option to tweak so many aspects of gameplay -- even if it does lead to a lot of fiddling. One thing I'd like to see added in the slider department that I think would greatly benefit hockey gaming are AI tendency sliders. Examples might be: Attempts One-timers, Pinches in Off Zone, Checking Frequency, Pass vs Shoot (more for 2 or 3 on one situations), Steps up at Blueline/Collapses into Zone, Dump-in Frequency, etc. If these types of settings could be implemented, it might be a much more effective way of tailoring the gameplay to the user's liking...

PS - I would love to see Satan (87), Sykora (89) or Gonchar (90) beat Malkin (85) in a straight line skate-off...

Last edited by Qb; 09-04-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 2K9 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings

This is the thing EA has Michalek at 85 or something. He is easier one of the faster and strongest skater out there. 2k finally has it right they made him one click more than Marleau. I know it is small, but those things tick me off. I still think EA's will be the better game, but I liking what 2k did.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »