Home

FIFA 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on FIFA 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: FIFA 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
How long are the halves on the demo?
Two minutes. As a student advisor, I can't in good conscience recommend that you do that. But since I'm on vacation today, go for it!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

So its only out for xbox right now and ps3 is coming out next week like the nba live demo too? Why dont they come out at the same time for both gaming consoles?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

PS3 should be out tonight.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

OK, I think I'll play one more then log some time with NHL. Some final thoughts for now:

* The ball physics feel pretty good. Crosses still feel a little floaty to me, but better than 08 I think. I haven't had much opportunity to experiment with the different types and powers (I'm using Semi crossing assist for now), so take it for what it's worth. But the shots are fantastic! Guys who can hammer the ball are noticeable and to repeat, the hard driving, rising shot is finally there. No more floating or balloons that go into the stands. You'll miss high for sure, but it seems to be much more realistically implemented...

* Again to reiterate, so much more movement this year on both sides of the ball. Defenders cut out passing lanes, attackers move into space (seems more prevalent on free from organization which makes sense). I haven't had that "why won't anyone do anything?!?" feeling of frustration that I often got in 08 while waiting for my teammates to make themselves useful.

* The aerial game is fantastic. I've seen tons of different heading animations depending on my position, jostling and timing of the command. Defensive clearing headers are still a tad weak, but manageable and maybe better than 08, but don't quote me on that. Also, I've seen some decent power on offensive headers, some really weak ones if it was awkward, but have yet to so a truly powerful one. I think I'll use Chelsea again and try to feed crosses to Mr. Drogba all game.

* I can definitely tell the difference in playing against Chelsea (got outshot 6-0 and outpossessed by a fair margin), Schalke/Marseille (pretty even due to my lack of skill at this point) and Toronto (they barely threatened and I had around 60% of the possession). Not only does talent seem to matter more, the style differences are apparent as well. Schalke is set as an aggressive defensive team & played as such, while Chelsea were all over me. I think I'll do Chelsea/Milan to finish and try to experience that thrilling Italian sit back & defend style...

* Almost forgot, regarding offsides... Defenders now raise their arms just like real players so annoyingly do! Also, I've seen different timing on the whistle, not sure if this was in 08. I've had a few obvious ones blown dead immediately, but also had one or two that were delayed enough that I didn't expect them. It was so incredibly frustrating, just like when it happens when you're watching the real thing...

* Another thing I noticed immediately but keep forgetting to mention, CPU defenders will not hesitate to clear the ball into touch. I've seen numerous clearances hammered over the sidelines and over the end line for a corner as well when they're under pressure. I don't think I've seen any of the incredibly annoying upfield clearances that go directly to the CPU attackers to start the counter that was so prevalent in Euro. I hope this plays out like this over the long haul as that was one of my biggest gripes with Euro's gameplay...

* Did I mention I love the new shooting? If you have time & space, you can rip 'em, so I think that defensive positioning will be at a premium. I am at least a tad bit worried that it might be a little too effective, as I'm on semi-assisted shooting and I'm having no trouble placing hard shots and beating the keeper when open. Perhaps that's good, perhaps bad, only time will tell. I'm more worried about online, as I suspect most people use assisted. I can only imagine the scores of some 10v10 games...

* Again, PK shootouts are so well done. Everything from the crowd to the cutscenes to the pacing and right down to the reactions of a crucial miss or conversion from both sides is spot-on. If you played Euro, it's very similar and the overall feel is simply great.

* If this is any indication of my overall impression of the demo, I just got NHL 09 yesterday and hockey is my favorite sport (footie is a close second)... I can't stop playing FIFA right now. Unbelievable...

Last edited by Qb; 09-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

All of this sounds fantastic. Can someone please post when the demo hits the PSN Store?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #22
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman11
thanks for impressions guys - waiting on my new gold card in the mail or for the demo to change over to all accounts...ARGH
Can't you just create a new XBox Live silver account, with a different username, email and gamertag, and get a month's free gold trial membership, just for the purposes of downloading the demo? That's what I did a few weeks ago and I was able to download a few demos (NHL 09, NHL 2k, NBA Live) on the first day with a silver account.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Rookie

chicubfan's Arena

can someone tell me how to curl the ball on set pieces? thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Can't you just create a new XBox Live silver account, with a different username, email and gamertag, and get a month's free gold trial membership, just for the purposes of downloading the demo? That's what I did a few weeks ago and I was able to download a few demos (NHL 09, NHL 2k, NBA Live) on the first day with a silver account.
We're about to find out

WOOT! downloading now - ty for this tip brother

Last edited by welshman11; 09-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »