Home

NBA 2K9 Video: Lakers vs. Celtics

This is a discussion on NBA 2K9 Video: Lakers vs. Celtics within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: NBA 2k9 : Lakers vs Celtics (user vs cpu)

Denver vs Phoenix was pretty beautiful, the game pace was extremely realistic to that of an NBA game. It felt really authentic watching it, it made me keep wanting to watch until the end.

I love the way Nash and Carter brought up the ball differently, and you could really see how the Nuggets relied on Carmelo and AI's 1on1 creating ability.

As for Phoenix's run and gun, they had a few outlet situations but you could see Shaq lumbering up court behind Nash which really forced Phoenix to slow it down to half court sets.

I also loved the way Shaq posted up, the way Nene moved back was authentic.

It's easy to nitpick all the things that are wrong with these videos, but I don't think many people have mentioned the positive changes to pace, team ball, and defense.

When computer took stupid little shots inside without setting up any type of move, computer paid for it by getting blocked.

The Celtics vs Lakers vid would have been much better if the USER was actually doing something!

He kept running plays to no avail, he didn't use KG or post up players at all, and even when he caught the ball with pierce, he just stood there stutter stepping.

I'm sure if the Celtics player used isomotion, slashed, and attacked the rim to draw contact or drew space for the jumper, that particular video would have been exciting to watch.

There is a reason why the trailer showed us so much, because momentous KNOWS ISOMOTION!

Last edited by HeavenlyTouch; 09-20-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagic_01
Jeez, you guys are really making it sound like 2K is gonna be a let down.

I haven't watched any videos at all, so I just have to go by what some of you are saying.

I was really excited about this game. But, since these videos have been released, my excitement has dropped a tad.

So are you guys disappointed?

Or is does the game really look great, and it's just nitpicking that is being done?
The game looks great, tmagic. Another thing to remember is that most of the improvements to the game won't be apparent in gameplay vids. Improvements to presentation, association, 5 on 5 and interface are not going to have videos.

Look at the initial reaction to the trailer for the opposite of what's going on here.

All that having been said...Live's play calling system is as superior to 2k's as 2k's overall gameplay is superior to Live's. They were absolutely trumped in this regard and they either need to patch in a fix or make it a priority for next year.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Next one I'll do at 45 speed, default is 50, this one was 40. Gotta do some errands first.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: NBA 2K9: Lakers vs. Celtics (User vs. CPU - Slider Speed @ 40)

Some positives:
  • The crowd looks and sounds a lot better
  • Doc Rivers looks a lot better, so they improved the coaches' appearance

Some cons:
  • Aside from the new interface, like where the score is displayed and the new pop-ups, I couldn't tell it was 2k9 as opposed to 2k8.
  • What's the point of replacing Kenny if you're simply going to have someone else read his exact lines? The commentary has had the same lines for 3 years now. The fact that they got someone else in was a perfect chance to improve it, but instead they gave him the same exact script.

I'm looking forward to the demo. Videos always make me feel like, "That looks just like last year's game." Actually being able to play and get an idea of how it "feels" compared to last year's game is more important. I was hoping for a bigger jump in graphics since I heard early on that that was an area that was going to be greatly improved. From the broadcast cam, it looked like 2k8, so we'll see. I'm sure it will look a lot better on my TV in HD.

Last edited by born_bad; 09-20-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 19

am i going nuts or do the animations look really jittery? As if every nanosecond is in slow motion almost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

I liked what I saw, except for the last play ran for Pierce. Like everyone said, 2K really has to but some work into the playcalling area. I had no issue with game speed, I never do, it's editable. It doesn't really matter to me what speed it is at in a video, I'll adjust it to my own liking when I am playing. It doesn't really make sense to complain about something that is totally in your control. How the AI moves when you call a play is not in your control though, and I hope 2K addresses that.

Thanks for the video Mr. Steve.

PS - Oh yeah, Steve have you tried creating a player yet, is that possible in your beta copy?

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 11

The atmosphere and presentation is incredible. The overall animations and individual styles look great. The off the ball movement looks great too. I was never a big fan of calling plays so that part of the game does not matter to me but it needs work as it feels way to disjointed and not organic like Live looks.

But just looking at the difference for 2k8 to 2k9.
- better of the ball movement
- cleaner graphics
- much,much,much more sig style
- incredible atmoshphere and presentation

But the play calling system still needs help and dammnit 2k work on some new commenting.

By the way... I have been playing 2k since the Dreamcst days and I have never been blown away by gameplay videos....well because the people playing the game play no way like I do.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Next one I'll do at 45 speed, default is 50, this one was 40. Gotta do some errands first.

Do we get a vote on which teams you'll use?

<-----

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »