Home

UEFA Champions League Signs Four Year Deal For PES

This is a discussion on UEFA Champions League Signs Four Year Deal For PES within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: UEFA Champions League Signs Four Year Deal For PES

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeruvianPlaya954
Not trying to sound like a fan-boy as I have been an only PES guy up until last year, but you should look into FIFA if you want second divisions. FIFA has plenty of leagues, more than you'll use, which isn't a bad thing.
Thats not my point though. My point is that the current Master League structure does not accomodate a realistic setup because of the fact they have a Division 2. So if you wanted to play in an all-British league in ML, you have to throw in random Belgian and Turkish teams into your Division 2 just to make up the numbers, but then after 2 or 3 seasons, your Division 1 (ie: your 'British' Premier League) could potentially have only 10 British teams and 10 Turkish/Greek/Belgian teams, which i doubt anyone wants to see. Plus, because Konami are idiots, Div 1 and 2 have separate cups?!?!?! What real life domestic association are they basing this on?

Given the lack of lower league clubs and German glubs in PES, i'd personally sacrifice a Div 2 and thus relegation/promotion system (i usually just skip into Div 1 myself anyway), in order to have a more realistic setup.

I buy both FIFA and PES every year on release anyway. I usually play with English clubs in FIFA (EPL and Championship), and i prefer to with Serie A clubs in PES (due to lack of English licenses, but because of the ML format, i resorted to playing in an all-French/Dutch/Belgian league last year.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #18
MVP

Given the current amount of teams in the game, this would be my preferred Master League setup:

6 domestic leagues, of 16 teams each:
  1. "Britain" - 14 English teams, Rangers and Celtic
  2. "Iberia" - 13 Spanish teams, Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon
  3. "Italia" - 16 Italian teams
  4. "Benelux" (Holland/Belgium) - 14 Dutch teams, Anderlecht and Club Brugge
  5. "France" - 16 French teams
  6. "Europe" - made up of 16 clubs from 'other' European countries like Greece, Turkey, Russia, Scandinavia etc

Why 16 teams only? Because that way, the bottom 3 per league can still get relegated and the clubs not in the league can still get promoted the following year (anyone remember FIFA 2001?). This way you get to face new teams every season, whereas if it were 20 teams, in some leagues like France and Italy, no teams would be able to get relegated. The only issue with the above is what happens if your team gets relegated, because there would be no Division 2 to play in...i guess that scenario could be either "Game Over", or your team is forced to spend the next season in oblivion before winning auto-promotion for the following year or just let the user pick a new team in the same ML.

The other advantage of 16 teams is that in the domestic cup no teams would have byes at any point of the competition, whereas in a 20 team league, 12 teams would get no action in the first round. Of course this implies that those other teams (the ones not in your current season but may get promoted next season) do NOT participate at all.

As for WEFA competitions, in my format i'd set it up like this:

WEFA Champions League
Top 4 per league automatically qualify for the group stage, which is 6 groups of 4. Only the group winners progress to the quarter finals, along with the top two runners-up to make 8 teams (a la the old real life UCL format which ended in 1999). And FFS Konami, code it so that i don't face the same domestic teams in my group again

WEFA Cup
The domestic cup winners along with the teams that finished 5-7 in each each league (or 5-8 in the case the domestic cup winner finished in the top 4 too) compete in the first round. 24 teams, knockout, reduced to 12 teams in the second round. Then these 12 are joined by the 4 other lower-ranked runners-up in the WEFA CL group stage to make it a second round of 16 teams. Then it becomes a standard KO format up until the final.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 AM   #19
MVP

From what i'm reading at PESFan, the Champions League is in LEAGUE Mode, but only in the second season and beyond (ie: if you choose an 08/09 qualifier like Chelsea, you do NOT play CL games in your first season...like with FIFA's MM). IBut i'm not sure how the qualifiers from other leagues would be determined for each season...

The CL is NOT in Master League, nor in "Become a Legend" mode either, from what i've read.

Also, they haven't incorporated the correct group stage fixture format (ie: A, B, C, C, A, B) which does detract from the authencity IMO, albeit only slightly. All CL games are played at night though, which is cool to know.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #20
All Star

OVR: 13

No Bundesliga annoys the s*&t out of me...Why not just put a BS league w/ fake teams so we can DIY the Bundesliga? It's like having a football game that doesn't have the NFC North...Lame.

Whatever, I'm still getting the game, I guess I just won't be able to take Borussia Dortmund to the Erste Liga title...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #21
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
From what i'm reading at PESFan, the Champions League is in LEAGUE Mode, but only in the second season and beyond (ie: if you choose an 08/09 qualifier like Chelsea, you do NOT play CL games in your first season...like with FIFA's MM). IBut i'm not sure how the qualifiers from other leagues would be determined for each season...

The CL is NOT in Master League, nor in "Become a Legend" mode either, from what i've read.

Also, they haven't incorporated the correct group stage fixture format (ie: A, B, C, C, A, B) which does detract from the authencity IMO, albeit only slightly. All CL games are played at night though, which is cool to know.
Cal, is League mode just a single season mode? I haven't played in a couple of years so I cannot remember, does the master league have any type of seasonal cups in it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Cal, is League mode just a single season mode? I haven't played in a couple of years so I cannot remember, does the master league have any type of seasonal cups in it?
You can play multiple seasons in League mode, but there is no relegation/promotion. Also if previous Pro Evos are anything to go by, any changes you make to team rosters and lineups in the main menu should also apply to teams in League mode too, so you can effectively make up your own transfers in between each season (might be an idea if you find the ML transfers unrealistic).

ML has domestic cups in it, but they are still separated into D1 Cup and D2 Cup for some stupid reason.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
You can play multiple seasons in League mode, but there is no relegation/promotion. Also if previous Pro Evos are anything to go by, any changes you make to team rosters and lineups in the main menu should also apply to teams in League mode too, so you can effectively make up your own transfers in between each season (might be an idea if you find the ML transfers unrealistic).

ML has domestic cups in it, but they are still separated into D1 Cup and D2 Cup for some stupid reason.
Thanks Cal for the reply.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Rookie

Abar22's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Does this mean that the WEFA Champions League and Cup aren't in ML mode now?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »