Home

FIFA Soccer 09 Review

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 09 Review within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: FIFA Soccer 09 Review

Is it true that the Adidas live season only works for quick games? It doesn't apply to other offline games? (like tournaments?)
Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yes. The Adidas Live Season is one of the worst and most meaningless EA gimmicks ever, which is saying a lot. I can't believe they got it branded. Hey EA, how's about creating online leagues that are on par with leaguedaddy, or at least barely functional, and getting that branded?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Good points but I believe the game is better than an 8.0

As a player of soccer for 18 years this is as good as it gets minus a couple problems with the A.I. which can be patched by EA but this game has the flow of the game and you can actually play defense.

You can notice a clear cut difference with playing guys like Nesta and Terry online, they can shut down players.

This game imo is sports game of the year. This is the first time in a long time that I've had so much fun playing FIFA in an realistic way.

I played online with 20 players and I had no lag and it was a ton of fun being able to control one player and have a great group of people and dominate.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
I love FIFA 09 in spite of the limitations in Manager Mode and some of the AI issues. I know I'll be able to overcome the AI deficiencies the more I play the game.

The thing that I like best about this game as that each team plays liek their real life counterparts. Additionally, they adjust tactics based on what's happening in the game. Adaptive AI! What a concept! maybe the Madden and NCAA teams should talk with the FIFA producers. (I couldn't resist)

Because each team has pre assigned custom team tactics EVERY game plays out differently. That will keep the game in my console for a long time.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

thanks for the review.. sounds like a good fair review

Quote:
I'm seriously at a total loss as to why anyone--short of being stuck on a 56k or being a Dynasty Mode freak--would focus on offline modes. And if you think PES is going to solve your issues with AI :LOL have fun with that. PES AI has been getting progressively worse since Winning Eleven 9 (which was the last semi-decent single-player football game) and, whereas FIFA AI is typically dreadfully dull and uninspired, PES AI simply outright cheats constantly (I can't speak to FIFA 09 vs. AI because I've stopped wasting my time with it).
I noticed improvent in the computer right off the bat in PES 2009 demo... it actually seemed pretty damn good.

Last edited by steveeee; 10-20-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7
Well Ive shunned FIFA for a long time and last year a few friends had me playing 08 which was an obvious improvement over what i was used to from EA. This year I can honestly say that this is one of the best virtual football experiences Ive ever had. The gameplay in the mid field is absolutely beautiful from the player movement to the weight and zip of passes and trapping animations. I have problems with the fact that all AI opponents only seem to want to do is send endless crosses in the box and there is still need for more randomness in the box in loose ball situations ala PES. However this game has stripped PES of the football simulation king title for me and deserves atleast an 8.5-9 score
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroLad
Yes. The Adidas Live Season is one of the worst and most meaningless EA gimmicks ever, which is saying a lot. I can't believe they got it branded. Hey EA, how's about creating online leagues that are on par with leaguedaddy, or at least barely functional, and getting that branded?
I totally agree that the way Adidas Live Season is currently integrated into the game is pretty much a total waste. It really stinks that the license is not attached to the game, but to the user ID too.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12

I understand why people are a bit peeved at EA not tweaking Manager Mode that much, but really, it's not that bad. I play a fair bit of offline FIFA, and M-Mode is a great way to learn the game before going online (and subsequently destroyed by some 12 year old playing as Barca, Man Utd, etc.).
Of all the sports games, though, I find FIFA one of the most fun online. The games are short, there're tonnes of players online, and much of the time the lag is very minimal. A lack of variety in the teams you face is one of my beefs...would love to see more lower-tier euro teams/MLS/A-league players online. That would make my year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »