Home

Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

This is a discussion on Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

Are you having issues playing defense in NBA 2K9? If so, our own Nathan Marshall has written a quick guide with a few simple pointers to help improve your defense. Check out our Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies.

Quote:
"It has been a good while now, and the verdicts are in. Some say that NBA 2K9 is the best representation of video game basketball ever, while others say it is far from that. Either way, many feel that it is entirely too easy to score (and get scored on). Slider tweaks may fix some of the high percentages in this game, but still, sliders should not be used as a crutch to substitute for bad defense. If your defense isn’t strong, changing the sliders will not help you. So I’ve devised a few pointers to help you out.."

Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Defense is WAAAYYYY better in NBA2k9 than in previous years..Just takes a while to learn it
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

I like on ball D. There are a few quirks (some of the layup animations defy physics, and you get pushed back weirdly), but I can hold down a player one on one.

The problem this year is your AI teammates. They sometimes don't react intelligently, run around screens slowly, jog to their defensive assignments, and allow their opponent back door too much.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
excellent post. too often players don't learn the controls before they scream the game is broken. the more i play, the more i love the new defense strategy.

i think the best line was defense controls tempo. in the nba players make shots on good defense. but they won't keep hitting shots on good defense. eventually good defense takes over.

the most satisfying part of 2k9 is stopping the run with coaching adjustments. i believe the college hoops guys will love this part of nba 2k9.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Jai-O,

i agree the team mates don't react quickly, but a lot of the time that is a personnel thing. with certain guys on the floor i have been run out the building but after i sub around the whole game changes. sometimes its a match-up thing.

in one game, my back ups won the game. every time i had the starters in the other team had stuff like 14-2 & 20-7 runs. i finished the game with my backups and judicious time outs. the next game the back ups were nowhere near as effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Rookie

rnichol8's Arena

OVR: 5
Good read.

Before tip-off, I like to set up my defensive responbilities. I go to Pressure/Double Team and assign duties. Set Double Team to "NEVER" so you can have control over calling it or not during the game. If you play a good post defender, the A.I automatic send the double team on the first possession. Which lead to the crazy passes out of that horrible animation.

I totally argee with Jai-o about A.I half assing on Defense.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

I agree about the matchups and personnel. I built my team, and I try to play my games by being defensive minded. I change pressures, matchups, call timeouts on runs, put players with high def aware on opposition that do the scoring.

I've cleared up many of the issues I had before, but I still see my teammates slowly go around screens and jog to try and catch up. Every defensive trip I get, I have to make sure none of my players are playing behind their man, that they keep up instead of jogging back, and that they get their hands up on those alleys. Definately keeps me busy lol.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai-O
I agree about the matchups and personnel. I built my team, and I try to play my games by being defensive minded. I change pressures, matchups, call timeouts on runs, put players with high def aware on opposition that do the scoring.

I've cleared up many of the issues I had before, but I still see my teammates slowly go around screens and jog to try and catch up. Every defensive trip I get, I have to make sure none of my players are playing behind their man, that they keep up instead of jogging back, and that they get their hands up on those alleys. Definately keeps me busy lol.

The game is programed to have the User's CPU teammates "dog it" or lose their assignment much more than your opponent A.I. does.

Although I wish it wasn't that way, I guess I understand that they have to have some way even things out because of the inherent advantages the User has over the CPU.

The reality is that if you want to play good defense, you have to "babysit" your CPU defenders quite a bit.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »