Home

Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Review

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Review within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Review

At a time when football games are not quite as plentiful as they used to be, Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff had a chance to be a savior of sorts for football fans.

Like All-Pro Football 2K8 before it, Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff's emphasis on player and team customization could have given gamers the opportunity to use their alma maters and hometown teams in a game that was not built by The One Engine To Rule Them All.

Read More - Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Review

Platform: Wii / NDS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Excellent, well written review - it pretty much confirmed the pros and cons I was expecting from this release. Let's hope they add different CPU difficulty levels and fix the bugs in a future release.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 31
Good Review...I've been reading the discussion in the Tecmo threads as well.

With all this solid info I'll thank you guys for saving me $35 of trade credit. I've got a bunch saved up and nothing to spend it on right now....I love tecmo bowl but it sounds like im way better off to dust off the NES and plug in the best version ever...Super Tecmo Bowl for the NES.

Soo much potential...it sort of sounds like MLB Power Pros problem too..both games made for the handhel and really if they just completely copied the old NES version and just added player customization so we can make our own rosters it would be perfect for me. Online play would be a bonus but really I always enjoyed just playing seasons in Tecmo.

Guess my wishlist for the future will include a solid complete version of Power Pros and Tecmo for my handheld...which right now only gets used to play Advance Wars.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff Review

I'm editing the rosters for the starting players (all teams) and it's great.

Ruffy...the gameplay and the fact that it's a handheld is really worth it. I'm not saying you are going to spend every waking moment with this game, but it's CLUTCH when you are in a situation where the DS is your only option. And the gameplay is pretty damn good (if you do like the series).
Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yeah like the review says at the end, the classic Tecmo Bowl gameplay is still here, it's just missing a lot of the "little things" that made the old NES/SNES games so fun, and some of the new additions to the game really get in the way of the fun.

The $15 it's going for on http://www.amazon.com/Tecmo-Bowl-Kic...=operasport-20 this weekend is about how much I'd want to pay for it.

I'd make sure to get a copy for one of your friends, too, as that's really the only way you're going to get a lot of long-term value out of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15
I picked it up for $15 on Amazon and figure I'll get enjoyment out of it since Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES is easily one of my most played games of all time.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Fair, balanced review. Touches on the pros and cons.

Thankfully, the gameplay is still intact and that makes it a keeper, flaws and all, for me.

I do wish that for the abilities, they'd give you a brief description as to what each one does. I had to tinker with my RBs for a while before I finally found the combo that gave them the most speed. For a while, felt like I was running in mud.

And man, I must not be that good at this game as I don't score nearly as many points as the reviewer. I haven't lost a game yet, but I've had some close ones.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 31
Man now I am tempted to play it....the wife bought it for me tonight...but its wrapped out and unopened...I was all set to take it back....hmmmm im in a bit of a quandry here fellas!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »