Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Info Coming Monday?

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Info Coming Monday? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Info Coming Monday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
HAHAHA, so Brinkman is the devil because the graphics suffered in 2k8?

Wow, and here I thought that everyone kept talking about just wanting a better product out of the box. Instead, people are upset because the graphics suffered.

Man, I just don't know anymore. Why do I even change the channel to Comedy Central when I have this board?
well this years game was more on the side of trash between CPU default homers too mama servin' spaghetti and MEATBALLS. I personally just wondered how he seen baseball like this, i mean it wasn't that bad, I can live with the graphics a lil better would be good, but yes just solid game out of the box
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
HAHAHA, so Brinkman is the devil because the graphics suffered in 2k8?

Wow, and here I thought that everyone kept talking about just wanting a better product out of the box. Instead, people are upset because the graphics suffered.

Man, I just don't know anymore. Why do I even change the channel to Comedy Central when I have this board?
lol...I highly doubt people would be saying too much about the graphics if there was anything they significantly improved over 2K7's gameplay. Yes, some things were done better in 2K8, but do you think it was enough to warrant the huge hit in graphics and framerate, the drop in presentation and lighting?

I agree that villifying Brinkman is over the top. It's not directly Brinkman's fault (though he rightfully shoulders the blame as he was the lead...ever been in charge of anything?). Kush/2KLA was a mess before he got there. His only personal failure, IMO, was allowing that mess to continue. That said, when someone is made out to be some type of "savior" and overdelivers the propoganda while underdelivering on results, people tend to notice. When a product takes big steps backwards without making enough steps forward, consumers notice. You would too if you weren't so busy watching Comedy Central...j/k
Old 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
Good to know thanks for the update! typically when 2k tells people theyll have news or articles on the way that usually means in febuary but, I feel a little better this year with Brinkman out of the equiasion I predict Tuesday news... but hopefully monday!
Yeah, I thought some good things were on the way for the MLB 2K series after he moved over from EA. Everybody did. Now you'd think he was a weekly suspect on "To Catch a Predator."

Why'd he leave/get kiced out anyway?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie48
True, brinkman was the savior that turned an terrible mlb2k6 game into a very good mlb2k7 game. But here is where he needs to be shot.

Year 2008:
Took a step back in graphics and tried to hide the fact that 2k8 had the same framerate problem. Heck, he even tried to con PS3 users into saying that the 360 and the PS3 versions played the same when they clearly dont. 360 also got at least a patch and PS3 didnt.

Brinkman had poor PR skills in dealing with anything pre and post release. He knew he sucked this year and rather fix it or at least face the community, him and kushgamer ran to the shadows. Many facets of the game were lied about and the 360 game shipped incomplete. ou had to download the basic stuff for the game. I dont care about diskspace, the fact of the matter is that 2k8 was a disgrace to business, and to the video game world. The game itself isnt bad with its game play, but the way it was represented and the fact that it took a step back form 2k7 is flat out terrible Baa and you know it.

So while your speach about humanity is compelling, its very misused in this example. You want to talk about humanity and its lack of growing up or ever maturing into an equal society, then talk about the election, but Brinkman. Hes just another due who made a good game (which by the way 2k6 was so bad there was nowhere to go but up) and went from that goodness to gayness. Brinkman fits the old saying...you can sleep with a thousand women, you sleep with one dude your labeled. thats brinkman. Sorry for the analogy but it fits. I tried to clean it up the best I could. Mods can delete that if its to much for the community. But there you have it.
I don't need my game producers to be PR geniuses. That's what the PR Departments are for. What I need is for these guys to deliver on the current generation consoles. Now, 2K8 left a lot to be desired, but damn - Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...I highly doubt people would be saying too much about the graphics if there was anything they significantly improved over 2K7's gameplay. Yes, some things were done better in 2K8, but do you think it was enough to warrant the huge hit in graphics and framerate, the drop in presentation and lighting?

I agree that villifying Brinkman is over the top. It's not directly Brinkman's fault (though he rightfully shoulders the blame as he was the lead...ever been in charge of anything?). Kush/2KLA was a mess before he got there. His only personal failure, IMO, was allowing that mess to continue. That said, when someone is made out to be some type of "savior" and overdelivers the propoganda while underdelivering on results, people tend to notice. When a product takes big steps backwards without making enough steps forward, consumers notice. You would too if you weren't so busy watching Comedy Central...j/k
Hey, Brinkman brought promise to the franchise. But, that franchise needed a lot of work. And they didn't start from scratch. He had the benefit of starting from scratch with MVP. He had to add layers of vanilla frosting to a fruitcake with MLB 2K. Tough road.

All I'm saying is that everyone wanted Brinkman to fix the gameplay. That's what most defenders said he would do. He wasn't perfect, he suffered some set-backs, but there are a lot of gameplay areas that are better than they were back in 2K6.

But, now I'm reading comments about Brinkman doing a poor job because they took a step back in graphics? It's just hypocritical of what people were asking for in 2K8.

After 2K6, most people were ready to send the game into the abyss. At least now he left the franchise with some hope.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 11-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #30
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Hey, Brinkman brought promise to the franchise. But, that franchise needed a lot of work. And they didn't start from scratch. He had the benefit of starting from scratch with MVP. He had to add layers of vanilla frosting to a fruitcake with MLB 2K. Tough road.

All I'm saying is that everyone wanted Brinkman to fix the gameplay. That's what most defenders said he would do. He wasn't perfect, he suffered some set-backs, but there are a lot of gameplay areas that are better than they were back in 2K6.

But, now I'm reading comments about Brinkman doing a poor job because they took a step back in graphics? It's just hypocritical of what people were asking for in 2K8.

After 2K6, most people were ready to send the game into the abyss. At least now he left the franchise with some hope.
I guess, but didn't people say that before 2K6? This franchise has a history of up and downs. I don't think Brinkman mattered too much one way or the other, to be honest. My point was there was a general lack of real direction before him and it was the same with him. "One step forward, two steps back" seems to be what MLB 2K has been, no matter who was the lead.

My only issue with Brinkman is that he would go on and on about stuff he wasn't even putting in the game. It's usually a big mistake to talk about stuff you're not sure will be in or have no realistic intentions of putting it in soon. He was a one man hype machine. Not to say he couldn't have gotten it done, but if he's really as good as so many made him out to be, why not push the issue?

He didn't completely build MVP from the ground up either, from what I understand. They started with the Triple Play series. Plus, as I recall he wasn't the lead for MVP at the beginning. He became the lead after the reformation was already in place. 2K6 was a mess, I agree, but it was built from what was once 2K3 and 2K4, which were pretty solid baseball games. It's not as though he was given nothing to work with. I just think he was way overrated (which is probably way some react as harshly to him as they do, I suppose).

Again though, don't misunderstand me, he is not to blame for 2K baseball's mess. I have always believed it was kush/2KLA. Now that they've been disbanded, I'm hoping that VC can put it's mark on the baseball titles. We'll have to see.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
I don't need my game producers to be PR geniuses. That's what the PR Departments are for. What I need is for these guys to deliver on the current generation consoles. Now, 2K8 left a lot to be desired, but damn - Rome wasn't built in a day.
lol...no it wasn't. But they also didn't rip apart their buildings to make their infastructure work either. I agree though that developers don't need PR skills. Just feed me a good game.

As for your other question. He apparently left for family/personal reasons. I believe it was said he didn't want to relocate when word got out 2KLA was being "brought home." Love him or hate him, he seemed to genuinely excited to try and represent a MLB game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
Rookie

twisted88's Arena

OVR: 5

The crucifying of Christ, the devil, the Roman empire, NBC sexual predator shows, Ben Brinkman and 2k baseball all in the same conversation?!?!?!

Wow! The hyperbole in these forums has reached a whole new level!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »