Home

Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops?

This is a discussion on Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops?

Really, really too bad if NHL 2K dies off. I like 2K9, and have high hopes for a 2K10, if it ever comes to pass.
Some of the comments on the blog are really interesting. I agree with the one guy who lamented how sports games are "dying" because of the high-costs of game and hardware development. If Madden becomes the only sports game in town, I'm gonna have to change all my gaming habits.

Anyone else have a feeling we may be headed for another video game crash; (1000's of crappy wii shovelware + the expensive of making true next-gen games + lack of competitions in key genres = ?????)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd

Quote:
I've always been surprised that NHL had two games made for it. The sales numbers are so low that it would seem hard for one company to make money let alone two.
I believe EA makes money on it mainly due to their worldwide audience. DrJones, formerly of EA, once said in a thread that EA's NHL series actually sells more in Europe than in North America.
To support that: EA had an NHL game this year for PC, but no NBA.
And if we look at mygamercard.net, we see 20500 times NBA Live showing up on cards of a total 2,something million registered 360 users but about 60000 times NHL 09 (NBA 2K9: 51000; NHL 2K9: 5447).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I don't know what kind of following NHL 2K gets in Europe though.
Abit worse than in the states. I track mygamercard.net data for a comparison of 09 and 2K9, also differentiating for some countries, in this thread:
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183889

That suggest a share of 8% on 2K9 of combined worldwide sales and rents of both games, if the ratio of that site holds true for the whole sales/rents (nov. 7th).
USA: 9,7%
Canada: 3,9%
Finland: 5,5%
Sweden: 2,3%
The best result is in Germany with 14,6%, but you could get it very cheap here some weeks after release.

Last edited by wurstman3000; 12-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I just realized that a comment on the Blog actually shows up on the forums in the corresponding thread. Never knew that.
You lost me, what?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
You lost me, what?
I never posted my initial comment in this thread. I left a comment on your blog/news post on the front page. When I checked this thread I saw that my comment from that area also ended up here. Does that make sense? I didn't realize they were linked together.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 17

Personally, I don't see how the lack of a roster update or patch indicates the series is headed to an end. This title has always lacked support. Sure, roster updates used to be more timely. However, I think due to the underwhelming number of copies sold (*assumption) they probably are not allocating any resources towards those efforts.

If 2k hockey does go by the wayside, it will be a shame. I've had my beefs with them since Kush had taken over, but this latest effort shows great promise and I'd hate to see it go to waste.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 24

Though I prefer EA's NHL series, it will be a sad day if NHL2k dies.
This type of thing is never good for games.

Wow 1,000th post and it was actually relevant. Guess every squirrel gets a nut now and then.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

2K9 has so much potential this year and is proving to be a fun game. It gets a lot of things right. If this is the last year of 2K Hockey than I'll be royally pissed. There's so much I'm looking forward to in 2K10.

Sure, hockey games may be a risky proposal these days since the NHL is still not as popular as it was pre-lockout in the States, but I thought both titles sold like hotcakes north of the border...maybe it's not as notable as I thought.

It'd be more painful to see the 2K hockey series go simply because both hockey titles have always had their strengths and are in good competiton year in and year out. We've all seen how stagnant the EA games have become creatively without competition. I'd hate to see it happen for hockey gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Sure, hockey games may be a risky proposal these days since the NHL is still not as popular as it was pre-lockout in the States, but I thought both titles sold like hotcakes north of the border...maybe it's not as notable as I thought.
You have to take into acount that Canada only has a population of about 30 million people, which is roughly 10% of the US population. This limits the number potential sales despite the immense popularity of the sport.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »