Home

Padrecast: MLB 2K9 Feature List (Pasta Padre)

This is a discussion on Padrecast: MLB 2K9 Feature List (Pasta Padre) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: "PadreCast" talks MLB 2K9 Features..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
You guys made a good point in saying that 2k really should be showing lots of videos, getting the demo out early, etc. to help regain the trust of their customer base. 2k's usually not very good at doing these things, so it will be interesting to see how they market 2k9.

I remember reading after 2k7 that MLB was contemplating getting out of their exclusive contract with 2k. If 2k9 bombs, I wonder if MLB will try to get out of the contract.
2k did a good job of releasing the demo to 2k8 early, if I remember correctly.

2k is still terrible with releasing video, though.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Padrecast: MLB 2K9 Feature List (Pasta Padre)

Meat pitches gone... Zone hitting back in... What's that? Could it be I'm actually getting a bit excited about this game?? Lord have mercy.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
2k did a good job of releasing the demo to 2k8 early, if I remember correctly.
Actually, they promised that it would be out well in advance of the game and ended up not coming out until after the game was released.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Actually, they promised that it would be out well in advance of the game and ended up not coming out until after the game was released.
Oh, is that what it was? Then I didn't remember correctly.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #21
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I rarely see or pitch any meatballs in 2K8 (probably because I'm using SFG's fantastic sliders), so I'm not really that concerned about whether they'll be in 2K9 or not. With that said, there should be wild pitches when a pitcher messes up, but they shouldn't be fastballs right down the heart of the plate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Wild pitches sometimes, but automatically would be too drastic. It should consider how much you messed up.

If you're out there just flicking the stick for no reason, then yea, you should be hitting the backstop.

But, 2k would do themselves some good if they let most of the pitches (since we can assume that most miss by little) miss the corners for balls or head into the zone.

Too early on the release, then pitches sail high and away. Too late and pitches go low and in (picture this as a righty facing a lefty and vice versa).

Again, not too drastic, though. If I'm trying to jam someone, I aim inside, and I release too late, then that pitch should end up more middle/in on the plate then in on the hands. Same goes if I'm trying to hit that inside corner, and I throw a bit too early, now that pitch should go in toward the hands for a ball.

That would make pitching more realistic and allow us to actually walk guys without trying to.

Last edited by CMH; 01-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
That would make pitching more realistic and allow us to actually walk guys without trying to.
I totally agree. It's basically impossible to walk a guy accidentally in 2K8 or The Show, unless you just really suck with the controls. It needs to be more realistic and more of a challenge to throw the ball where you want it, especially with pitchers who are known to be a bit wild.

But it almost sounds like they are going to make it even easier for people who couldn't handle 2K8's controls, which I personally found to be really easy already.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I totally agree. It's basically impossible to walk a guy accidentally in 2K8 or The Show, unless you just really suck with the controls.
Now hang on here. Any MLB pitcher can toss pitches across the plate at will. The problem is some pitchers have trouble painting the corners, and end up missing outside, inside, etc. So even in the Majors, it's basically impossible to walk a guy accidently -- meaning, if any pitcher wants to throw a pitch down the middle of the plate for strikes, he usually can.

The biggest difference between 2K and The Show, is 2K doesn't have wild pitches. Aim high and way outside in 2K8 and the C will catch it everytime. But aim high and way outside in The Show and the ball will hit the backstop.

The other, less-obvious difference is this: if you aim for the black in 2K, you're going to hit it every time, and with any pitcher -- the control ratings in that game mean absolutely nothing. But aim for the black with a low-control pitcher in The Show, and you'll see a variety of results. Some pitches will hit the black, and others will miss high, low, inside, or outside your spot by as much as several inches. Pitchers in The Show still have too much control, I agree, but there's a noticable difference between the two games when it comes to pitchers' control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »