Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

I will be the first person to admit that I was not expecting much out of MLB 2K9 this year. With the development team switch from Kush Games to Visual Concepts, I did not think that there would be enough time for Visual Concepts to take control of the MLB 2K series and turn it around in just one year. While there is still very little information available concerning the game and there is still a month and a half left until the game releases, I am now becoming more intrigued as to what the company has in store for consumers come this March.

Last week, the feature list for MLB 2K9 leaked onto the Web. While there are obviously some spotty areas on the list, the developers look to be focusing more on the core game of baseball and also on the surrounding atmosphere, which is a welcome relief to both baseball fans who only own an Xbox 360, and also those consumers looking for an alternative to the MLB: The Show series.

Read More - Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

As you mentioned it's definitely a concern that there is no marketing or pre-release information yet. Not trying to be pessimistic but it's hard to imagine this will be a quality game. This series has basically "started over" in each of it's last four installments, not a good thing.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22
I am soooo hopeful for this game to be good. The change from Kush to VC is something that guys on the 2k forum have been acking for since the change. VC always seems to do some good work and from the sound of things they are trying to make the game better. A good thing is 2k has something to compare to and with all the praise of the show last year they know they have to step up their game. Even with the show not being on Xbox their is still competition, something every game needs period.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7
I love how a mlb 2k9 "Preview" is simply speculation and hopes on the feature list already revealed. Bad sign.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
I love how a mlb 2k9 "Preview" is simply speculation and hopes on the feature list already revealed. Bad sign.
p.s., thats not a dig at you Jack or the article...just that its crazy its all you have to work with so soon to release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Banned

slickzeus's Arena

yeah it was a good read....basically summed up the new features list. Hopefully we will be getting more soon...
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Trini G1aDiaToR's Arena

OVR: 5
Yeah, I liked the right-analog pitching system and the throwing meter a lot... the pitching was very flawed but I thought it had great potential so I hope this years improvements are as good as they say.

I only have a 360 (and a Wii and I'd like to see them improve the Wii version too last years version had an interesting pitching system too). I hear so much about the Sony franchise that I'm jealous... but I'm not getting a PS3 at this point.

Lastly, If they have to delay it a bit I'm fine with that... just give us a good game. I don't understand why sports games always have to come out in the pre-season... I'll wait till the season starts, or even later, if it means the game will be better!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Rookie

and remember, 2k8 was releasing screenshots as early as January 11th last year, and demo's for reviewers around the 18th....so it is late even for them to still not have info.

While I hope this is due to their constant work on the product and wanting to release the best info possible....there is no way that we cant feel a little nervous since this is the same company that didnt release a demo last year until the product shipped because they knew it would hurt sales. Smart business decision? In a narrow minded sense, yes....but some serious bridges to rebuild with the fan base.

Last thing....I know it seems kind of small and petty, but I cant for the life of me figure why a company that needs to build its reputation back up wouldnt start filtering screens out now, bit by bit, to get us excited and feeling more confident. You would figure even if there is more work to be done, they MUST have some player models or stadiums complete? Enough to show off the game a bit? Seems like very odd marketing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »