Home

Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

This is a discussion on Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14
Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

Read the full press release, right here.

Quote:
"What does it mean to bring an 8th man into the box? If you're looking for the correct answer, you're more likely to receive it from an EA SPORTS Madden NFL player than from someone who doesn’t play Madden. EA SPORTS, a label of Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced today the results of a new survey by the University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center, that determined fans who play the Madden NFL video game series are more knowledgeable about the game of football than people who don’t play the game. The survey found that Madden NFL players’ football IQ was 60 percent higher than people that don’t play Madden.

The study, which surveyed over 15,000 EA SPORTS Madden NFL players and NFL fans, tested respondents in five categories of football knowledge: Game Situations, General Knowledge, History, Rules and Business of Sport.

“It’s amazing to see how much football knowledge Madden NFL players have especially when you compare it to people that follow and know the sport well,” said Paul Swangard, Managing Director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon. “We also found the more time they spent playing EA SPORTS Madden NFL the higher they scored on the survey."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Playing Madden improves your football IQ

LOL! IMO, there's not much football strategy involved in Madden. I think Madden does more damage to one's football IQ, especially if it wasn't high to begin with. Most of what works on Sundays doesn't work in Madden, and most of what works in Madden doesn't work on Sundays.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Really? Madden is a game where you can literally do the same play over and over and gain positive yardage. Madden is a game where A POCKET doesn't exist, stepping up gets you sacked, always. Madden is a game were you don't need to look for a gap when rushing the ball, all you have to do is run outside and smash on the turbo, then hit stick.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

As much as I know we all want to jump on this, I agree that madden helps you understand things. Different formations, both offensively, and defensively, I know because of madden. I can see them translate on the field in real life.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This is going to be good.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Playing Madden actually does improve your Football IQ. While flawed, the game is the closes NEXT GEN title that we have to NFL football. And other than cheaters who try and run the same play over and over, there is nothing (except bad presentation/commentary) That is wrong with the game. And if you call the right defense, you can stop the cheesers.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
LOL! IMO, there's not much football strategy involved in Madden. I think Madden does more damage to one's football IQ, especially if it wasn't high to begin with. Most of what works on Sundays doesn't work in Madden, and most of what works in Madden doesn't work on Sundays.
This is partly true if you're a casual gamer, but if you try and play as much SIM (oxymoron) as possible w/ Madden I can see it increasing your football IQ.

Following sports, AND playing sports video games regularly definitely increases your 'Sports' IQ.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

There is no doubt in my mind that the first few years I played Madden (keep in mind this is 1994-95 territory) helped me understand the game and how plays worked a little better (I was about 10 or 11 at the time). In that sense, this statement is correct, and over the years it's probably gotten a lot easier for newcomers to understand as the graphics and AI (yes, really) have improved.

But the same can be said of any sports games, of course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »