Home

Skate 2 Impressions

This is a discussion on Skate 2 Impressions within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #17
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Skate 2 Impressions

Here's my vid with the tripod camera coming out of the first pipe. Like I said, I'm not very good at the game

Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #18
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
My initial impressions are mmmmmmmeh.

Feels a too much like the first, as the new moves don't really add all that much... And it doesn't help coming across an area that I skated 1000 times in the first game.

The skate parks seem better, as does the city in general... Didn't even know you could change in game camera angle... How do you change the camera angle anyways?

Off board controls are downright atrocious... And the video editor honestly isn't all that great. I've had instances when trying to edit a clip and the camera will sort of jerk around for whatever reason and not stay steady... It's almost as if someone bumped into the camera man. Changing the camera didn't fix it either.

There's also been a high number of glitches so far... Like when skating into water, in one of the fountains... I sort of tilted over and glided along for about 15 feet...

And then there's the bail glitch that launches you unrealistically, which was in the last game, but not to the extent as in this one. Of course, crazy bails are a feature of Skate 2... For whatever reason.

I get the feeling that the ability to move things around will be the game's saving grace.

So far I'm not impressed. Seems solid, but only because the foundation they are using was already there.

This is for the PS3 by the way.
Further impressions...

I'm starting to warm up to this game. I'm still not all that impressed, and yet the sum of all the additions are adding up.

I've found that walking is made easier by using the right stick to help you turn. For the most part you can only use the left stick to go forward, and then once you're moving you can use it to steer as well. So nudging the right stick to initially steer helps, because it turns the camera.

The new moves give the game a bit of a different feel, especially the foot plants which give you more to do on flat ground. The finger flips are a nice addition too.

Upon further examination the bails, when they don't glitch out, are done pretty well. But yes, you do get that glitch that sends you flying... Sometimes 5-10 feet in one direction... Sometimes about 30 up into the air.

The new camera angle is great. You turn it on from the video options while playing (you can't find it in the main menu). It's really nice to have this higher camera angle, especially while exploring and for the races.

If anyone is worried about the premise of Mongocorp (or whatever) getting in the way... Don't be. If doesn't interfere with the skating hardly at all.

I'm noticing a lot more detail in the city. I also found a cool little spot that could only be reached by moving a ramp and jumping over a wall. It was a small little area with a few movable objects inside along with some ledges and small quarter pipes. Very cool. Hopefully there are similar spots around the city. It's stuff like this that I think the series should focus on: cruising around a big city finding spots to skate... Places you can shape into your own, and not necessarily by always moving things around either... Because that's pretty much what the core of skating is: taking a fixed landscape that doesn't even look like it's even really a place to skate, and yet still finding a way.

Oh yeah... Heard the song "Rock the Bells" by LL on the soundtrack... Nuff said.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 01-23-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #19
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

These are some great impressions guys. Keep 'em coming

I played the demo a bit, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it like I did the old tony hawk games back in the day.

Didn't play the first one at all.

Could be a pickup for me if I need something to tide me over til baseball season...

Twitch Stream
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

Got it yesterday afternoon and I've put in plenty of time. Game feels just like the first, which isn't a bad thing. A bit smoother though. More new moves obviously and some seem Tony Hawk'ish to pull off.

Seems like the story mode will be a bit longer in this one. I've already unlocked the Mega compound and bought the rec center (to get more money do the races and bet the most you can, even if you lose you can retry w/o losing money) but there is still a lot more to do and unlock.

I'm dissapointed at the selection of clothing, accessories, and boards to chose from. Especially the shoes, half of them are black with white soles. Nitpicking here but still... there was more selection in the 1st. Seems like Madden where they start taking stuff away that was originally in the 1st game.

Getting off your board is nice, controls need major work though. Pretty much agree with everybody else has said so I don't wanna repeat. I'm on 360 BTW. And I've read that the developers will offer more content later, I hope more shoes and boards.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

After putting in a little over 2 hours last night I'm still not sure what to think. I guess you could say I'm left disappointed. While I wasn't expecting a big leap from the first I was expecting more. The off board controls are sluggish at best. The single player story mode seems to be deeper which is a good thing. The new tricks really don't add much depth in my opinion.

In the end though I would say the game is worth the $60 price tag for me. I'll spend 90% of my time just messing around anyway. Being able to set up lines and finding new places to skate will keep me occupied for some time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

Does anybody know if custom graphics can be shared/downloaded, or can you only use the ones you create? I tried looking on the EA forums but there is over 5 pages of new threads started just today.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #23
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

I got exactly what I expected. I wasn't expecting a major overhaul, and the off-board controls definitely do need some work. Only took me a couple of minutes to get used to them, though, and being able to just run up some stairs helped. They need an action game-style wall scaling ability to just get up medium-sized ledges, though. The thing is only a little over waist high, but I can't jump up and climb up on it?

Career is pretty fun and standard so far. I seem to be having the most fun with contests. But online has been awesome. I spent until 1 in the morning (when I had to be at work at 7AM) in a free skate with randoms. They have very cool free skate activities now that everybody in the room can choose to join or ignore. Things like having to hand plant off of both extensions in the Mega Park, or 13 different things that everybody has to do as a group (180 tail grab over a ramp, rocket air, 3500 point transfer, etc). Once all the goals are completed, it gives you a scoreboard of who completed the most individually, etc. Very cool. One had synchronized moves, where everybody had to get 2500 points at the same time. We failed that one miserably.

Overall, I had an absolute blast with the game, but I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel. I really disliked the handrails having stoppers and things on them at first, but it didn't seem to stop any of the actual challenges, just my free skating.

I'm in the minority with actually having a blast with it, I think.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

I cant wait to pop this in my PS3 tonight.

some of you guys complaining i dont get what you were expecting? a walking sim?... getting off the board did feel a bit sluggish but it is hardly something to hammer the game about.

It's skateboarding for crying out loud...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »