Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Preview (Teamxbox)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Preview (Teamxbox) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Preview (Teamxbox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I'll just say this:

I find it very interesting that three previews mentioned the subpar framerate, yet the magazine exclusive to the system that only has one baseball game to choose from somehow has a copy that is fine?

Its a preview dude, You think playstation mag gives The Show head? just because The show is exclusively Playstation. I also heard that the previous sites of previews claimed to have had a 90% game but got the game about a week and a half ago. I have no clue on when Teamxbox got it. Only time will tell the fortunes of MLB 2K9.Also yes what driz just said above ^^
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #18

OVR: 34

I think we're seeing the advantages of seeing Jeff Thomas and VC working with this game. I know Jeff isn't running the code and doing that kind of work, but he has been behind the production of two great franchises, NFL 2K and NBA 2K.

This preview gives me hope about the framerate. I'm excited to see what they can do with the game and I'm looking forward to it coming in March.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
I'll just say this:

I find it very interesting that three previews mentioned the subpar framerate, yet the magazine exclusive to the system that only has one baseball game to choose from somehow has a copy that is fine?
Given the previews we've now read, speculating like that doesn't do any good. There's really only one reality at this point: there's a question about the framerate, and renting the game and seeing for one's self is going to clear up what the deal is. That's assuming nobody here is crazy enough to go and buy this game without playing it first... are they??
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

Meh...Peter Moore was a bigger part of the NBA2k/NFL2k franchises taking off.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Given the previews we've now read, speculating like that doesn't do any good. There's really only one reality at this point: there's a question about the framerate, and renting the game and seeing for one's self is going to clear up what the deal is. That's assuming nobody here is crazy enough to go and buy this game without playing it first... are they??
Oh I know... I just found it odd. But I agree, buying day one this year is definitely out of the question. I do have to admit though, the preview did give me a LITTLE hope.

Damn these back and forth emotions!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 13

The addition of the zone/cursor (like Power Pros) excites me. I know many people aren't fans of last year's timing only model. But, for a hitting engine rebuilt in one development cycle, it is solid. KushGamer said that part of the game is his; he did a good job.

The pitching changes sound wonderful, as well. Getting rid of meatballs will make everyone happy, and they've left the option to make TCP a three-step process just like last year.

Graphics and presentation excite me the most. If the team's inspiration is truly NBA 2K9, I think we're in for something special. The real-time cut scenes between buckets, the end of quarter highlights and overall broadcast style presentation are top notch. Judging by this review, the commentary is already more robust than 2K8.

Finally, this review does a good job explaining the framerate. It does not say the framerate is silky smooth. It does say, however, that it is more "solid" than many games at this point in development. Given what SimBaller said, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

This review is reassuring and does get me excited for March 2nd. I also think it's hysterical that is the same day Barry Bonds' trial starts. Maybe, just maybe, 2K9 can rid itself of its demons as baseball rids itself of theirs.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Very encouraging preview. The damage control was in effect with the Frame Rate Disclaimer, which to tell you the truth I am glad was mentioned. Though I understand people's caution, remember were not dealing with KUSH Games anymore, were dealing with VC.

Some stuff that caught my eye:

Quote:
One of the keys, Thomas claimed, is that they wanted to make the game more accessible to first-time players, but without sacrificing the intricacy for veterans.
I'm very hopeful about this statement. We've seen some hints towards this, with the pitching. Making it a little easier yet challenging with the ability for the user add that 3rd process when using the Analog Stick.

I really hope we get a preview where the writer uses the Zone Hitting Mechanic so we can get some info on how it works.

Quote:
being able to affect whether you’ll be putting down a hard grounder, nailing a line-drive rope or getting some oomph into it for a potential home-run ball is big.
Sounds we might be getting the hit variety we've been looking for

Quote:
this demo seemed to have a solid frame rate and sharp visuals, which is encouraging. Thomas also said that “more signature style” has been added—over 300 signature animations in this installment—which will make the presentation that much more realistic during game play, especially if you’re playing with your home-town favorite team.
Love the addition of Signatures Styles, glad to hear the visuals look sharp.
Quote:
Among other things, Thomas said that it’s been designed for the announcers to make pertinent observations, perhaps having a thought interrupted by a play, only to pick back up on the previous banter when the play is over. It’s that kind of tweak to the game that takes what could be seen as a trivial addition and makes it actually more important in having the play-by-play seem more natural and genuine to what you’d hear in a real TV broadcast of a game.
I am so excited that were getting new commentary. It looks like VC has tried vary hard to make the presentation seem more like a real TV Broadcast. This series has lack this for the last couple of years.

Things I would've like to heard more about:

Controlling all 30 teams. In the IGN article it states controlling all 30 teams is an Online League feature & not an In-Game feature.

Would of loved to have heard a little more about the graphics, especially on how close the player faces look to their real-life counterpart. Also would of loved to had heard something on Progressive Lighting & how the stadiums look..

Hopefully OS will get to preview the game & some of these questions can get answered..
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 28

I also love the pregame videos of the feature players. The little highlight videos of theplayers ot watch are bad to the bone. If this was implemented I would be overjoyed

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »