Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Coming to PC?

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Coming to PC? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Coming to PC?

A potential PC version of MLB2k9 makes things very interesting for me. It virtually eliminates the #1 problem I've had with 2k baseball over the past few years as a PS3 gamer - the framerate. I have FOM and it runs butter smooth 60 FPS on my PC at all times, so if the in-game engines are even remotely similar I can't really imagine getting frame dips like the PS3 has had recently.

What will probably happen is that I'll give it a rent on PS3 to try out the gameplay, read the PC impressions for any mention of framerate issues, and then buy it if I liked what I saw on the PS3.

Last edited by bcruise; 01-31-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Can we expect modding anyone? like NBA 2k9 has.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1
i was wondering the same thing. i used to love playing mvp for pc because of all the mods that make it more realistic.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

That's what made MVP 05 for PC so great, all the mods making the stadiums completly realistic with ads and banners. This is a good thing.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I have FOM and it runs butter smooth 60 FPS on my PC at all times, so if the in-game engines are even remotely similar I can't really imagine getting frame dips like the PS3 has had recently.
My friend you are comparing a game that is basically all menu's and text with very little "on the field" presence versus a game that is almost all field presence. FOM isn't even in the same ballpark as 2k9 would be as far as framerates bro.

If 2k9 has framerate problems, it will most likely be on every version including PC. In this case, it's not the hardware that affects it, it's the design of the game bro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
My friend you are comparing a game that is basically all menu's and text with very little "on the field" presence versus a game that is almost all field presence. FOM isn't even in the same ballpark as 2k9 would be as far as framerates bro.

If 2k9 has framerate problems, it will most likely be on every version including PC. In this case, it's not the hardware that affects it, it's the design of the game bro.
PC hardware has a HUGE effect on framerates, in that if your PC isn't up to spec, the game will run slowly or not at all. They aren't consoles, and not every person who buys a PC game is guaranteed that their PC will run it.

And, however rudimentary FOM's graphics may be compared to 2k9, the fact is that it is the first graphical baseball game (even partially) to be released on the PC since MVP '05. In other words, there's been nothing else since then to compare it to. You can only really go off the system requirements for that game to get an idea of what 2k9's will be.

It's still an in-game baseball engine, and still takes the necessary PC power to run it. FWIW, the minimum specs for NBA 2K9 and FOM are quite similar (NBA takes more processor and HD space, but the video req's are similar):

FOM:

PC Processor Speed
1.5GHz

PC System Memory
512MB RAM

PC Video
DirectX 9.0c-compatible NVIDIA GeForce 6 video card with Vertex/Pixel Shader Model 3.0

NBA:
PC Processor Speed 2.4GHz

PC System Memory 512MB RAM

PC Video 128MB DirectX 9.0c-compatible ATI RADEON X1300 or NVIDIA GeForce 6600 video card with Shader Model 3.0 support
Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 15

No I understand what you are saying, but what I was talking about was there are games where you can have a powerhouse PC with the top quality in parts from newegg.com, etc and a game can still run like crap because of bad design.

Thats all I was saying. For example, 2k8: Let's say that 2k sports made last years game, 2k8, on the PC as well. Even if you had the best PC in the world you still would have had horrible framerates because it was the design of the game that was the culprit, not the hardware being used.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Games that are available on PC and consoles always run smoother on PC if you have nice hardware (games such as Oblivion, GTA 4, etc) because the developers aren't limited to specific hardware and users can change the graphics settings to match their hardware. There are several games that had choppy framerates on 360 but ran great on PC. I'm guessing even 2K8 would have ran better on PC as well because there have been times when DiRT racing ran like crap on my 360, yet it runs smooth as silk on my PC. Of course I paid more for my video card than I did for my whole 360, so that helps, hehe

Last edited by jeffy777; 01-31-2009 at 09:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »