Home

UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

This is a discussion on UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN) within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

While GSP has some tools on his feet, he's not exactly a dangerous standup fighter. He lacks KO power (which Silva clearly has) and is and worse striker overall. GSP wins all of his fights by overpowering his opponent. This wouldn't be the case against Anderson. Grabbing Silva would lead to a lot more punishment than he's used to. GSP is a smart, capable fighter, but Silva is just as polished. I don't see him getting overwhelmed by anything GSP would bring. Hopefully the fight goes down at some point, but Alves has a good chance of beating GSP as well. We have a lot of good fights to look forward to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #26
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
While GSP has some tools on his feet, he's not exactly a dangerous standup fighter. He lacks KO power (which Silva clearly has) and is and worse striker overall. GSP wins all of his fights by overpowering his opponent. This wouldn't be the case against Anderson. Grabbing Silva would lead to a lot more punishment than he's used to. GSP is a smart, capable fighter, but Silva is just as polished. I don't see him getting overwhelmed by anything GSP would bring. Hopefully the fight goes down at some point, but Alves has a good chance of beating GSP as well. We have a lot of good fights to look forward to.
I agree w/ your Anderson comparison as far as striking, but to say he isn't dangerous standing up is going too far. TKO of Hughes, and dropping Fitch at least 3 times as far as I can remember (who has amazing defense while in trouble, and a great chin).

In the BJ fight last night I wished he would have stood more because he was out-jabbing bj and looked good. I actually think GSP's trainers need to convince him that his striking is better than he thinks because I'm not so sure how much confidence he has in his stand up game, but he is better than he himself thinks imo.

I actually think Alves has a better chance of KOing GSP than Anderson Silva because he forces the issue, where Silva isn't as reckless.

This subject had me a bit bitter a couple days ago since a lot of posters act like I'm not allowed, or justified in thinking GSP is better than Silva - like by making my argument anything other than Silva being p4p best makes my opinion obsolete by default. I'm aware of how good Silva is, and think peope have good reasons for thinking he's the best, but I can't get over why people can't even fathom an opinion other than the popular one about p4p.

Not talking about you directly, but I just think that there is no way GSP isn't in the p4p discussion. He has 2 losses and has avenged both w/ some major 'umpf'. His recent wins over extremely good opposition were totally dominant and he's still getting better, yet some posters like Sven act like he doesn't deserve the accolades he's getting.

The glass jaw theory is a joke to me too, I've seen all of his fights...he's been plastered pretty good before, he just got caught in a weird place by Sera (which has a punch w/ all his might). I say 'glass jaw' when someone gets dropped the way Kimbo did w/ that jab he took...not a heavy, total-body overhand right.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Gsp beats Alves so that we all get to see without question the 2 best fighters go at it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImReady77
How do you figure this? You act like Silva dont have a REAL black belt in bjj. I wouldn't say GSP faced far better opposition either. Silva had a lot of fights in other countries. Silva has more experience. I think Silva would be too strong for GSP. Watch the Rich Franklin and dan Henderson fight again and you will see that Silva is a bully. It would be a good fight though but GSP has to beat BJ Penn first, which might not happen.
gsp isn't a 'real' wrestler either. I've seen those Silva fights, but if you watch gsp's fights you may come to the same conclusion as me - I doubt we will see gsp submitted for the rest of his fighting career. Now I'm assuming you saw the fight last night where he was not vulnerable to a sub for even a nano-second. Me saying he won't get submitted is not a knock on Silva, it's a statement about how good gsp's strengh and defensive technique are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »