Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Video: Cardinals @ Cubs Top 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I thought it was me....maybe it's the video, but it looks almost like it's missing animations.
It looked like it was skipping and hiccuping to me.
Anyone else see it that way?
I don't want to say anything if it's my connection or the video itself.

M.K.
Knight165
the vid is running smooth for me

Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
I thought it was me....maybe it's the video, but it looks almost like it's missing animations.

M.K.
Knight165
It is a beta, that is expected. I like the batboy coming out and collecting the bat. I hope they touch up some of the real time animation. But for the most part it look OK. Don't like that bat sound and I don't like the swing animation.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 5

The style of the game looks superb. The animation of the game.. doesn't. If the animation was smoother, that game would be on fire. It's actually not just the smoothness of the animation - It's the actual animations themselves - some of them are stiff, but that game is lookin' nice regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #12
Rookie

coachpars's Arena

OVR: 6

Oh My!!! Looking very good...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Thanks once again, Steve. REALLY impressed with this game right about now.

Virtual Director...VERY well-executed. The shots cut in-between pitches! The after play replays are also very well done and use very realistic angles. Transition animations need a bit of work (Schumaker running back home after his foul) but other than that, excellent!

As far as I see, no framerate hitches during gameplay, but we'll see when a demo or the final game pops up.

The same organ music is still there, which bothered some people on here but doesn't deserve my concern.

EXCELLENT commentary, even from Phillips. I wonder if Thorne will update a player's batting average during the season (like we saw in The Show '08 and in MVP 2005). Good anecdotal stuff from Phillips as well...and it even seems that Gary and Steve have a conversation about the Cubs at Wrigley during Pujols's AB.

Player faces aren't that great, but I'd rather have everything else this video offers instead of that.

Like The Show stepped up its game after 2K7 came out, it seems 2K9 has done the same this year. Viva competition.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

I love the gameplay camera. I hate the sound of the bat. It sounds like last years. I also wish they could get rid of those damn organs!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #15
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Okay, here are some quick things I noticed (good and bad) throughout the video:

-That d*mn organ...didn't like it before and don't like it now...lol. I wish they would at the very least, dial that down a bit.

-The bat sound is still crap. That is a bit surprising as it's been a gripe for awhile now. Oh well.

-There is an odd hitch on certain pitches and in the transition from contact to the ball in play. It varies from slight to bad. Hopefully it's a video thing or an earlier build thing, but this was present in the last two games, so we'll see.

-if you notice the bullpen jumping up during the pickoff attempt. Very nice to see an active 'pen out there.

-Crowd continues to impress

-Look at the dugout in transitions...it's always active and very fluid and life like. It's a small detail, but is BIG to immersion.

-The presentation is impressing so far. The real-time stuff (like the batboy, for example) integrates very well. I really am loving the camera angles. some of them are simply fantastic. The fielding camera cuts are especially nice at times

-My concerns about Steve Phillips are diminishing (not my hate though). He sounds pretty fluid actually. The commentary is another BIG plus.

-Animations are mostly fluid in play. When they're bad though, they're REALLY bad. I hate the herky-kerky running after a play (looks like a robot who is malfunctioning...lol). Some of the movements look very stiff. The pitching delivery and most of the transition animations look sharp though.

Anyway, that's just my quick observations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #16
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

M.K.
Knight165

Same thing here with it fully DL'ed. But it could just be the video encoding. Then again, I said that about last year's too, and it was the game.

Sounds are still horrible, the stick man in the diamond is gross as well. The cut-scenes seem cool, but some cut too quick, and almost seem forced. I wish the stadiums felt more alive, for some reason they dont.

Him running to second on the steal with that weird round tag out was goofy. LOL. Pujols snapping into his stance was funky too.

And please tell me you can turn off that particle effect glow when a pitch is thrown to the catchers glove is thrown... more arcady elements I can live without.

Still the cut-aways are cool though.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 02-13-2009 at 02:17 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »