Home

Is EA's NASCAR Sim Franchise In Trouble?

This is a discussion on Is EA's NASCAR Sim Franchise In Trouble? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Is EA's NASCAR Sim Franchise In Trouble?

Maybe. Check out the article at FirstCuts.

Quote:
"EA's "NASCAR '09" game can still be purchased, but the formation of new games in that line is on hold.

"The old game was more for the simulation players, the serious gamers," said Randy Chase, EA's product marketing manager. "This is more lighthearted, something that's more fun for the entire family. We look at it as a respectful caricature of the sport."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Is EA's NASCAR Sim Franchise In Trouble?

I'm ok with that. 09 is pretty darn good if you ask me.

I would like to see a new 09 season car set DLC but other than that no need to put a new one out this year.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25
Why these idiots ever got the NASCAR license is beyond me. They have no idea how to use it and NASCAR ignored the publishers that made more realistic games and better represented their series. They still haven't even released a coop game on the 360/PS3, and now they may just drop the series and focus on more Nascar Wii Kart like racing games. Good God, kill me now.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
MVP

Jeffrey99's Arena

OVR: 8

Nascar 09 was simulation? That just goes to show how little EA knows what the word Sim aka simulation means.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Pro

kennytomson's Arena

OVR: 10

Article that was quoted:

"By Michael Smith
Special to the Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

EA Sports' whimsical new NASCAR game represents a strategy shift that could lead to an overhaul of the sport's gaming category.

Declining sales from the "NASCAR '09" game, a desire to reach a broader audience and the need to create a game that fits the Wii console were all integral to the formation of "NASCAR Kart Racing," which hit store shelves the week of the Daytona 500.

EA's "NASCAR '09" game can still be purchased, but the formation of new games in that line is on hold.

"The old game was more for the simulation players, the serious gamers," said Randy Chase, EA's product marketing manager. "This is more lighthearted, something that's more fun for the entire family. We look at it as a respectful caricature of the sport."

"Kart" also comes out in the final year of EA's licensing deal with NASCAR. Blake Davidson, managing director of NASCAR's licensed products, said the sanctioning body is talking to EA about a renewal, but also is considering a nonexclusive approach that might open the category to other game makers.

"We're in the process of figuring out what's the best model for us and how do we position ourselves in this space," Davidson said. "Do we continue with an exclusive model or go nonexclusive? Do we need annual releases? This is a very important category for us."

Gaming ranks among the top five revenue-producing licenses for the NASCAR industry (the sanctioning body and teams), Davidson said. For EA to create a licensed game with authentic drivers and cars, it must secure licenses from NASCAR and each of the teams represented.

But the "NASCAR '09" franchise typically didn't refresh a great deal from year to year, other than sponsor changes on driver firesuits and cars. The tracks, the personalities, mostly stayed the same, which has led NASCAR and EA to rethink the idea of annual releases.

The sanctioning body also is considering multiple game makers to broaden the variety of games offered, so both serious and casual gamers can be addressed. EA has had exclusive rights since 1997.

Presale orders for the Wii-based "NASCAR Kart Racing" were up over last year's presales for "NASCAR '09" on PlayStation and Xbox combined, but EA doesn't release specific sales numbers. "Kart" retails for $39.99, while "NASCAR '09" has been discounted from an original price of $59.99 to $29.99 on EA's Web site.

The "Kart" game is designed to have more of a cartoon look and appeal more to families and children than the old simulation-style game. While some of the drivers and cars are authentic, others are fictional, such as the drivers for the Sprint and Coke Zero cars. The tracks are also exaggerated so that racers, for example, drive through the surrounding mountains before emerging onto the track at Bristol.

"The early reports have been very good," Davidson said. "The Wii platform has given us a chance to branch out and try something different that could help expand the reach of the sport and that's important. Video games have traditionally been a good way to introduce NASCAR to kids."

EA is supporting the launch with product placement in a Gillette Young Guns commercial and a back panel position on Kyle Busch's No. 18 M&M's Toyota for the Atlanta race in March.

This marks the first time EA has timed the release of its NASCAR game with the season-opening race. Previous releases have been in the summer.

Michael Smith is a reporter with SportsBusiness Journal."

I think NASCAR is trying to get more for their license, and or they're really interested in having their game made by competing companies like the NBA. NASCAR 09 isn't a bad game, just release a 09 driver / paint scheme DLC and release NASCAR 10 (EA, codemaster or both) around the time of the next Daytona. I could live with that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
MVP

Jeffrey99's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennytomson
The sanctioning body also is considering multiple game makers to broaden the variety of games offered, so both serious and casual gamers can be addressed. EA has had exclusive rights since 1997.
That's the best news I've heard in awhile. As NHL and NBA has shown us, competition is the best thing for making the best games.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Well i hope Nascar makes a comeback SOMEWHERE down the line. I don't care what company.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

Wow, I hate EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »