Home

NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Exclamation NHL 09 360 Patch #2 Online -- Impressions

EA has just released their NHL 09 patch for 360 users. Please post your impressions here.

Quote:
Exploit fixes:

-Fixes the 99 attribute bug in OTP/EASHL by preventing players from entering games with attributes that are raised beyond the level they can reach with the card they are entitled to have. Players who have elevated their attributes this way should reset their character by changing the type and reassigning their points.
-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 6'4" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).
-Fixed some problems that could cause the game to hang or go out of sync when pausing.
-Prevent use of LB to get up instantly after being knocked over.
-Reduce accuracy of shooting while using vision control to skate backwards.
-Prevent high, accurate slap shots from in close to the net.

Other changes:

-Reduced the ease of beating the goalie on the short side.
-Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily.
-Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.
-Added stick lift to Classic controls using LB+X(XBox)/L1+Square(PS3). It is also on R3 (press Right Stick).
-Fixed shot targeting using the Always Up control when skating down ice.
-Added new NHL rule to locate face-offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay.
-Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.
-Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove.
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox) /R2(PS3)
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the goalie, holding LB+A(Xbox)/L1+X(PS3)
- Reduce the range of heights on randomly generated CPU players, including goalies.
-Eliminate the ability to accelerate and maintain high speed while stick lifting.
-More penalties for high sticking when stick lifts are done from behind the opponent.
-Made the colours of the OTP/EASHL indicators more distinct (yellow and orange).
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
-Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties.
-Goalie tuning to increase goal-scoring a bit to compensate for taking away the easy short-side high goals.
-Improve hit stat tracking to not count all of the small bumps in front of the net.
-Increased injuries caused by CPU teams.
-Prevent puck from being launched with very high speed following a hit.
-AI tuning for superstar. The Aggression slider now affects how intense the CPU team is on that difficulty level.

Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 09 Patch Online, Impressions Here (360)

*Waits for EA servers to become available again*
Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 31

Well this patch sure helps offline play a ton. AI teammates are more aware of the puck, better positionally, do a much better job of clearing the front of the net. Less desperation save animations on routiene shots. Hell it may be just me but I think I may have seen a goalie animation or two that I didn't see prior.

Also CPU goalies do seem to let in more shots. I've only played one game with the patch so far but Turco let in 4 goals to my Bruins in just the first period, all of them different, a wrap around, a sucessful down low cycle, a point slapper rebound, and a breakaway. The AI did manage to pop a couple in the first and one in the second to get back in the game, but a late 3rd period offensive zone turnover that ended up in a goal sealed the deal, winning 5-3.

The other thing I noticed was a better variety in penalties, I even got called for a 2 min minor boarding call, 1-4 on the pp to the AI's 1-3. Didn't see any interference calls but then again the AI doesn't seem to try and lay your players out away from the puck anymore.

What impressed me the most though was neutral zone play was alot more existant due to the AI on both sides being far more puck aware and far more aggressive in general.

Thanks to the team for going the extra mile to get us a second patch when most dev teams would just wait til the next product cycle to get these much needed fixes in.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

I can still do glitch goals from the slot and circles. I can still do the one foot reach shot and it is extremely accurate. I am not happy to see it is still in there but I guess for online play it forces people to use human goalies. By the way I tried this in a game and the goalie with no screen was having trouble saving this shot. Then I went my BAP guy and started testing him out on the ice and tried the glitch shots. Only the one foot reach shot was accurate about 80% to 90% of the time. Kind of sucks.

Only played one game but the sliders actually seem to affect the amount of hits now. Also the goalie does a little animation to try and defend the cross crease. However I killed the goalie with them and he just can't put his stick out enough to defend them. Need to play this online when the servers come back up. Unfortunately I have to leave soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I can still do glitch goals from the slot and circles. I can still do the one foot reach shot and it is extremely accurate. I am not happy to see it is still in there but I guess for online play it forces people to use human goalies. By the way I tried this in a game and the goalie with no screen was having trouble saving this shot. Then I went my BAP guy and started testing him out on the ice and tried the glitch shots. Only the one foot reach shot was accurate about 80% to 90% of the time. Kind of sucks.

Only played one game but the sliders actually seem to affect the amount of hits now. Also the goalie does a little animation to try and defend the cross crease. However I killed the goalie with them and he just can't put his stick out enough to defend them. Need to play this online when the servers come back up. Unfortunately I have to leave soon.
Glitch goals are always going to be there, its human nature to try to exploit that sort of thing. I still think the game needs more goalie animations and animations on the whole, but at least for offline play for me this is an improvement. There's obviously things that can be better though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

anyone have any idea when the ea servers will be back online more or less.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15

Yeah, they're back up now.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanteriX
Yeah, they're back up now.

Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »