Home

Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

This is a discussion on Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Either way, the points that have been made most likely won't go unheard. They've addressed issues here year after year and I expect this to be no different.
as i stated in a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
you took the words right out of my mouth... everyone should be honest & know that we will NEVER get a "perfect" out-of-the-box sports game from any developer on any system because of gamer interpretation & marketing... 2k9 has been THE BEST thus far!

yes some things are very frustrating and a lot of things could've been better but overall i remember being MUCH more unhappy with certain aspects of previous versions.

for the most part... a lot of the things that we are annoyed by are minor/easy fixes which is what "truly" frustrates us, but all in all, the devs do step up to the plate & fix things the we SPECIFICALLY here at OP complain about. They may not always post info (which i cant lie... i would appreciate if they did more often) but they do seem to attemp to address our moans & groans

it's all about trial & error to me...

u mention the help d issue: that was a fix from lack there of last year and no jump shooters ever being left open... so they over did it this year but i'm sure they will find the happy medium. - bad defensive switching: again we did not get this AT ALL last year, and we complained... so they added it... just needs tweaking...

etc, etc...

they just need to work on NOT getting rid of "old but good" ideas when they come up with a new one... and making things complete...

all that being said, i will reitterate that i think 2k9 is the best b-ball game i've ever played and my complaints are minimal in contrast to things i posted last year and posts that i saw last & earlier. as long as they don't get complacent & realize that EA is making some strides, they will remain the best basketball series.

(p.s. - even though Live has greatly improved from it's previous state doesnt mean that it is THAT DAMN GOOD... [2k was a grade A & Live was a grade D... Live jumped up TWO WHOLE GRADES... WOW... now 2k is still an A & Live is a B... A>B] i would much rather have a slightly flawed 2k basketball than be addicted to an EA series which makes drastic strides once every decade than leave it the game as is for the next ten years)
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Wow, I stumbled across this thread after about a month of viewing negative threads about 2k's BASEBALL game, and I'm surprised that this level of negativity exists for what I consider to be a pretty solid product.

I hear you about the defensive issues. But that has been an issue with pretty much any 2k or other basketball game I've played. There are things this game does animation-wise, pre-canned or not, that constantly make me go "wow". Like the way you're able to strip the ball out of a guy's hands when he's breaking away for a layup. Or when a player dives to get a loose ball on the floor.

But what does frustrate me is that I'm playing on probably the 2nd easiest level, do everything I'm supposed to on offense (hit open shots, miss the hard ones), and then play defense and just get owned on the perimeter or with layup drives that start from the 3-point line and can't be stopped. If Tony Parker or someone quick is driving to the basket, there is no control input possible to even influence what happens next. In real basketball, a guy in that position could bump, hip check, or even tackle a guy in that scenario...even if these are BAD options, they aren't even options I have!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
These are all issues we've discussed ad nauseam.

One thing that continues to go un-mentioned is the lack of foot planting with the defense. Help does come when the help slider is set to 0 but there is no "negative consequence" for it in regards to player momentum. They can easily get back and still contest the open jumper.

Which is why, way back when the game was released, I was saying that re-rating the entire roster and the other "major" edits people were doing were worthless.

Now I do agree with that, the game has so much potential, but all of the eding people are doing is worthless. This is something I really hope 2K addresses with 2K10.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Yes! Another 2k bash thread. We were running low on these..........All valid points though that have been already discussed to death.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Despite all the things it does right the games flaws make trying to play it for me waaayyy to frustrating. they missed the mark this year.

No sugar can coat that. Lets not baby them. They had a great year in sales but muffed the delivery. I was severly dissappointed in this years game. How is it that I have not even played 10 games from beginning to end of my favorite hoop series. Every few weeks I try and go back but despite all the beauty and the depth of the franchise the gameplay itself is off.

Look at it like this. No momentus videos this year, and you have DC of all people saying he may be spending more time in the live forums... surely the world is at an end as we know it...
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

Last edited by Da_Czar; 03-24-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

I said the same thing about you man. If Czar doesn't like the game then they MUST be doing something wrong

Wassup though
Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Yeah, losing one of the best 2K contributors for the last 5 years speaks volumes about this game... Just sad that people who know so much about the game and love the series so much feel that they can't play the game without being frustrated/disgusted to the core. That says a lot more about the game than the increased sales do, that's for damn sure. When the complaint threads are mostly started by people who know the game inside and out and have been loyal to the series, you know something is askew.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #24
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Yeah, losing one of the best 2K contributors for the last 5 years speaks volumes about this game... Just sad that people who know so much about the game and love the series so much feel that they can't play the game without being frustrated/disgusted to the core. That says a lot more about the game than the increased sales do, that's for damn sure. When the complaint threads are mostly started by people who know the game inside and out and have been loyal to the series, you know something is askew.
nah.

were all just haters... and live fanboys.

I mean my personal thoughts on this game have been made known since day 1...

Ive gone back to playing, but i find it hard to even finish games now without just being frustrated as hell.

So i chose not to play, i don't want to play a videogame and get mad at foolishness...just not worth it anymore...i really hope they fix the game, as we have outlined all the issues that need adressing, and i understand the staff is limited but...as long as the focus goes to core gameplay and CONTROL, and smart A.I, then all will be forgotten next year.

and the only reaosn why "we" complain is because the bar was raised high from last year, and this years even tho there are some things different and better, OVERALL just came up WAY short of that bar...and im talking WAY short.

Im sure people are having fun with the game though, i mean when i play it ever couple weeks i can have fun for maybe a game or two...but then...well n/m i wont even go there again.

im praying that next years game is better, but its not getting my $60 Day 1 any more like it did last year...heck no.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »