Home

MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review

This is a discussion on MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review

What happens when you condense "the most realistic baseball game" onto the PSP? It is like putting a Hemi engine in a Mini Cooper: While all the bells and whistles are great on the PS3, some of them do not translate to the small screen. Still, MLB 09: The Show on the PSP is worth checking out under the right circumstances.

On the Diamond

Prepare to hear this a lot throughout this review: This game is strikingly similar to last year’s version, or even the '07 version. Not much has changed on the gameplay front. If you played at least a few nine inning games from the 2006-2008 games in this series, you will be an expert in 2009. SCE San Diego has added a Legend difficulty mode to counteract the familiarity, but that is not quite enough.

Thankfully, at least the rosters and stadiums have been updated to reflect the 2009 season. Though with this strange offseason where many free agents did not sign until Spring Training began, players like Andy Pettitte, Oliver Perez and Manny Ramirez will not be with a team until you download the new rosters or do it yourself. You will also see the new New York stadiums in all their glory. Shea Stadium and the old Yankee Stadium are still there if you want to relive their 2008 collapses.

Read More - MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review

Platform: PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Rookie

michfan16's Arena

OVR: 12
so is it a must buy
Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13
I recently got a psp, so I don't have MLB 07 or 08. I guess I'll get 09, but I wish it had standard franchise on the psp version.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Rookie

michfan16's Arena

getting this later RTTS updates coming for other psp mlb 09 fans
Old 03-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4
this should of gotten a way higher rating than a 7.5,look at all of the stuff they packed into a little hand held system,they stadiums look good as well as the models,i'd give it a 9.0.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Rookie

michfan16's Arena

yea, for psp you cant get much better than this
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review

i've been having MLB 09 for the PS3, but i scored a copy of this for the PSP recently to aid me on some horrendously long commutes. not only was i happy with the game, but i was also happy to see my PSP get resurrected.

the thing that surprised me the most about this game is the depth. i thought they'd have to cut a lot of corners to cram it onto a UMD, but its all there. and most importantly (for me at least), the RTTS mode of the game is the exact same as the PS3 version--all i could've wanted.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 09: The Show (PSP) Review

They should definitely bring back the option to play career mode with major league players. Instead of only just playing with created players as they did in MLB:the show 07:

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »