Home

Czarisode 9: MLB 09 The Show Video: Batting Tips

This is a discussion on Czarisode 9: MLB 09 The Show Video: Batting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #17
Pro

Revolution42's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Czarisode 9: MLB 09 The Show Video: Batting Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Glad yall got something out of it. Classic pitching sounds interesting I will see if there is enough there for show on it. Those darn change ups in the dirt are still my cryptonite as well.

The thing about this game that I love is that i never have it "figured out" I can bat well for 10 games and then forget what got me there and find myself in a slump and have to use batting practice to work myself out again.

I have learned to layoff the high fastballs though
That is very well done with excellent content, apparantly you have posted others, this is the first I have seen....I am going to make a point of seeing all of your work.
"Changeups in the dirt"....man, I have some trouble with those also, a pitcher brings it hard...I can usually handle it....but the offspeed stuff are the pitches I have the most trouble with. Anyway.....great post and thanks.

75% of the Earths surface is covered by water......the remaining 25% is covered by Ichiro.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #18
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington
Great video for sure, a lot of good tips as to how to practice.

One thing I thought was unusual, do you all move the PCI before the pitch to where you think it will be, then swing if it's there? I am always reacting to the pitch and moving the left stick after its release to get the hit.
Thanks Effington. I know some people are good enough at the game to make those types of adjustments my mind for this video was to help the people who are trying to make those adjustments but still swinging at a lot of bad pitches. Some hitters like you can think one pitch and location and then still adjust and hit a good pitch and still lay off the bad ones.

For others I think those tips can help them to start "seeing" the bad pitches and layoff those. The next step in the way I hit is to pick my zone early and then make slight adjustments up or down or left or right once I'm seeing the ball real well.

I am all for what ever works for you I know starting out though it can be ruff for guys moving the left stick choosing flyball or ground ball with the right stick and then seeing those breaking balls all at once.

Once you start adding in situation and pitchers previous pitch location in a game you can really get a feel for when a guy likes to throw his breaking stuff. I love how patience can pay off in this game
and I also love the balance between hitting a pitcher who does not have his best stuff that day only to be sat down on a day he does.

I see you Big Russell !!!!
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #19

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

"THIS is the instructional video, that gets results!"

Awesome job Czar!
LOL thanks bcruise and everyone else for popping in !!! Hilarious !!!
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Glad yall got something out of it. Classic pitching sounds interesting I will see if there is enough there for show on it. Those darn change ups in the dirt are still my cryptonite as well.

The thing about this game that I love is that i never have it "figured out" I can bat well for 10 games and then forget what got me there and find myself in a slump and have to use batting practice to work myself out again.

I have learned to layoff the high fastballs though
Just saw the vid, great tips! This is the right approach to hitting - knowing when to swing, waiting for your pitch, and hitting it with good timing in your zone. These practices are some effective techniques to improve all of those.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

very nice video. I actually do very good in hitting in this game. I learn to be patient at the plate and wait for a pitch I like to swing at. Great stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Rookie

Effington's Arena

OVR: 3

Why would you want to lay off the high fastballs!?!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #23

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington
Why would you want to lay off the high fastballs!?!
Those can lead to popups. I was mainly talking about ones out of the strike zone. I had a bad habit of chasing those and popping the ball up for an easy out.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 16

Great video man. You made it very informative and fun. You got a great voice for this stuff man. I wouldn't be surprised if your career was something in the broadcast field. You really have a smooth way of getting your message across while keeping the viewer hooked. Very entertaining stuff man and great tips. I naturally tryed everything you suggested first but you described it all to a tee better then I could ever have. Props to you my man.

Also I agree what you said earlier in the thread about how you find yourself getting in slumps and that's great. It truly is. There was a time where everything was clicking for me and I was really seeing the ball good and hitting everything and then I don't know what happened but it stopped. I honestly think I just got a couple bad breaks and then I started pressing and swinging at more pitches. The way the CPU adapts to you pressing and chasing balls or borderline strikes is very impressive.

What people need to do (myself included) is simply take a strike sometimes and not be afraid to take 2 strikes. Wait for your pitch. I find myself sometimes swinging at anything that's going to be a strike. That's a 2 strike approach!! I shouldn't be doing this with 0 strikes or even 1 strike. I should really bare down and wait for my pitch, a pitch that I know that I can hit good. Instead of being so worried about hearing the ump call strike. Strike 1 no big deal, strike 2 no big deal, now it's time to not get caught looking and protect the plate. To sum it up, I bat like I am batting with 2 strikes too often and that is not helping me hit good because then the CPU pitcher gets in a groove as well.

Last edited by davewins; 04-07-2009 at 03:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »