Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Adaptive AI

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Adaptive AI within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog:Adaptive AI

Very nice! This is an AWESOME feature that makes COMPLETE SENSE! I know people have been bringing this up for years... for good reason. As the blog states, if someone repeatedly uses the same routes your defenders should LEARN and attack those repeats better. You can't run hitches or outs all day against man coverage and expect it to work every time.

Best blog so far hands down.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

in NCAA as well!!

Great news.!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

This is an awesome feature.
I cannot stand playing someone online and knowing exactly what he is running but still not being able to stop it cause my teammates don't know what the hell is going on. I hope it works as good as described.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 29

Sounds good. I wish there was a bit more detail about how it actually works 'in game'.

I am sure that will come in the next few months.

Nice to know I will actually have to TRY when facing the CPU.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 12

This made my day. Sounds good but can't wait to see it in action.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

This is an awesome addition, and something I have pushed for in 2K's game. It looks like they are doing it based on the routes, instead of plays. Why not do both though? Also, now that they are adding adaptive AI, how are they going to help the user keep track of the plays they call on offense? They need to convey the 'defensive awareness' of the play to the player based on the number of times they have called the same play.

Keep track of every play a team plays on offense. Every time a play is called, it goes from green to yellow shading. Then the next time it's called, it goes from yellow to red shading. The color indicates how well the defense will recognize the play. The defense will get a speed / recognition boost so they can better lock down the play, even though a player might not have called the right defensive play. This would help avoid scenarios where players are able to be effective using a limited set of plays all game long.

You can add a 'cooling' effect based on every quarter or half. I would suggest half, so a team can effectively have no penalty what so ever for calling the same play twice a game.

This is a really bad mockup, and uses APF2K8's graphics, but at least you can get an idea of the defensive awareness bar at the bottom of the play, or you could just shade the entire area a given color.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Great to hear.

There is adaptive AI in NHL 09 and it works nicely. It has learned my play pretty well and now all my games are struggles. Hopefully it can be as effective in Madden 10.

The first thing I thought of was play actions. Call a few run plays and maybe you can get the defense to bite bad on a nice play action.

Last edited by StevieTheD; 04-10-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Need to read closer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 9

So let me understand this:

If a person has a 5 play playbook, eventually my AI teammates will react to those plays faster.

IE, a guy just abuses a post-corner patter my DB will actually cover that pattern like he knows its coming (since he does).

And if a person just runs the HB counter, my defenders won't bite on the fake and actually play the run like they know its coming?
-------------------------

If my understanding is correct then I might finally get exctied for Madden (and NCAA).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »