Home

UFC 2009 Undisputed: Potential Game of the Year Candidate?

This is a discussion on UFC 2009 Undisputed: Potential Game of the Year Candidate? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
They need to tone down the mouthpieces flying out of the mouth every KO. In real life you'll hardly ever see a guy's mouthpiece go flying out of his mouth but in this game its like Fight Night with the way the mouth piece falls out and the look of how they fall.

Submissions are also way too hard to perform. And i wish they'd let you fight on the ground more. If i'm landing some ground and pound we shouldnt be stood up right away. I shouldnt have to keep transitioning from full guard to half guard, to side control just so they wont stand us up. The only times they ever let me fight for a long period of time on the ground was when i'm in mount (or Chuck has me in mount which is almost impossible to get him off... i play as Shogun 95% of the time because i hate Chuck) or once i actually was able to fight on the ground for about 2 mins when i had him in side control and then half guard, then side control, then half guard, etc.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: UFC 2009 Undisputed: Potential Game of the Year Candidate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99
I find it a bit early to be thinking game of the year, hell the games not even out yet and it's barely May 1st. I guess I still don't understand the whole "Never See the Same Fight Twice: Variation is Key to Longevity", every match ends with a KO. How is that variation? Could I be overreacting due to it just being 2 fighters and the demo? Sure, but I don't think that's anymore overreacting then already talking Game of the Year, when the first installment of the series isn't out yet.

After watching Gamespots On The Spot yesturday, still not feeling much better. They had a 8 player tourny and every single fight ended with a KO.Just really hope this game doesn't turn into Fight Night Round 3.5 online.
Thing is, though, the outcome you get is largely determined by how you fight. In real MMA, with those tiny gloves, it's usually not a good idea to trade strikes. There's a good chance someone will get caught. That's why you see actual fighters spend the majority of their time outside of range. They'll usually circle away from their opponent's power, only dart into range with the intention of throwing something, and when they do throw something it's usually quick strikes in short combinations. You just don't see guys stand toe-to-toe throwing superman punches and head kicks all the time, and it should as no surprise that if two guys do that in UFC Undisputed, someone's gonna get caught.

Furthermore, I'm not sure a single guy in that tournament ever blocked a single transition while on the ground. Much like when they were on the feet, when they went to the ground, the fight consisted of trying to get in as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. In an actual fight, fighters are more concerned with keeping a good position on the ground, mixing in strikes with effective grappling, and only going all-out when there's some notable advantage. In the Gamespot tournament, the ground fighting consisted almost solely of how much damage the guy on top could do before the guy on bottom did a transition to get to his feet. That's just sloppy.

If there's a complaint to be leveled in this regard towards UFC Undisputed, it's that it doesn't force to fight a smart fight, I guess. If you want to fight a sloppy MMA fight, you can. The game doesn't magically force you to fight a smart fighta any more than any other fighting game in the history of the world has forced someone to fight a smart fight.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
They need to tone down the mouthpieces flying out of the mouth every KO. In real life you'll hardly ever see a guy's mouthpiece go flying out of his mouth but in this game its like Fight Night with the way the mouth piece falls out and the look of how they fall.
I agree with this, but it's such a small detail that it's pretty easy to look past.

Quote:
Submissions are also way too hard to perform.
In the demo against the AI. From what I hear it's better human vs human - and we have no idea how it'll be with other fighters who have lower submission resistance.

Quote:
And i wish they'd let you fight on the ground more. If i'm landing some ground and pound we shouldnt be stood up right away. I shouldnt have to keep transitioning from full guard to half guard, to side control just so they wont stand us up. The only times they ever let me fight for a long period of time on the ground was when i'm in mount (or Chuck has me in mount which is almost impossible to get him off... i play as Shogun 95% of the time because i hate Chuck) or once i actually was able to fight on the ground for about 2 mins when i had him in side control and then half guard, then side control, then half guard, etc.
I don't have this problem at all, so I'm not sure what's going on with you. I can play as either character and quite literally keep the fight on the ground almost the entire round. The only time I've ever been stood up is when I'm standing and the other guy is on his back, and I'm just throwing kicks and stuff at him.

When I'm actually on the ground in a position, I've spend 1-2 minutes clock time just punching/kneeing away from one position and avoiding his transitions. Usually once I get full mount I spend a good minute or so letting him wear himself down trying to get out, then I rain down punches.

Hell, I spent one entire round in side control just kneeing his ribs, and holding him down. Never transitioned once.

I've actually never been stood up when we're both on the ground.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Rookie

Gr33nthumb's Arena

OVR: 1
The submissions are not too hard to pull off. You must wear your fighter out to be able to pull a successful submission, as someone who trains in Jiu Jitsu, I can assure you that if you try to submit someone who has alot of energy you will not only be unable to get the submission, but you will wear yourself out in the process.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nthumb
The submissions are not too hard to pull off. You must wear your fighter out to be able to pull a successful submission, as someone who trains in Jiu Jitsu, I can assure you that if you try to submit someone who has alot of energy you will not only be unable to get the submission, but you will wear yourself out in the process.
True - but not always.

There have been quite a few "flash" submissions, so hopefully we'll see some in the game. Think of Mir/Lesnar. Brock made one mistake, and suddenly he's tapping out. He wasn't really tired, and he was dominating the fight to that point. Sometimes you just get into a bad position, and the guy locks it in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 7
i liked the demo the game was very fun. but i wouldnt mention it in the game of the year category.
the graphics are good also but i wouldnt confuse it with real life, FN 4 graphics look way better. and sometimes it looks like the punches dont really hit the other person, and some of the knock downs look stiff and robotic (they need to take a lesson from FN makers on how to do knock downs). but overall its a good game.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 7
Oh and one more thing, is there even fatigue in the game? i mean you can just swing and kick forever and the fighters dont seem to get tired one bit.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 8
cant beat MLB the Show, but definitely looks like it will be much better then FNR4

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »