Home

Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog)

SHAKYR, I agree with you. If I had a choice, I'd prefer using buttons myself. They were easier for me to push in FNRd3 and I felt I could put together combo's more easily.

SteelerSpartan, I agree with that person who spoke about putting combo's together.
When I first started playing with it, there were times where I wanted to throw a certain punch, but something else came out.
But as I had more time with it, I got better at it. I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve for most people, but you'll get the hang of it.

At the same time, I know there was one person there who complained about the responsiveness of the controls. One of the producers came over, did some fine tuning on the code and 'voila!' they became a lot more responsive. So I'm not worried about that.

Going back to what Shakyr said, I do wish if they were going with sticks exclusively they could have done it in a different way. Right now, when you want to throw an uppercut you have to push to 5:00 and then arc to 12:00.
I think it could have been where all you needed was to push towards 5:00 and then use a bumper or trigger button to modify for a body blow.

So if I wanted to throw a right-hook to the body, followed by a left hook to the head and then a right-uppercut to the head it would be:
bumper+3:00, 9:00, 5:00.
With the controls as they are now that combo would be:
3:00, 9:00 arced to 12:00, 5:00 arced to 12:00.
That's not that bad but your movements have to be precise with the arcs.

For those that were already deadly with the analogs in FNRd3, the slight changes they made will benefit. For those that were about the buttons, it will take some time but I think with practice you'll find the combo's to be fluid and responsive with the analog controls.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

SteelerSpartan, I forgot to add that I don't think EA took away the buttons because the engine isn't sim.
This was a decision that came from above as EA wants to make everything analog believing it's the future of gaming.

Trust me, the engine is very sim. I watched some of the bouts taking place at the community day and for the people that fought like they've never watched a fight in their life were getting their lunches handed to them by people who knew what they were doing.

As you can tell by my avatar I'm a big hockey fan. When NHL07 first dropped featuring Analog stick handling and shooting it took me some time to get used to it. I lost a lot of games while I adjusted. In fact, it was probably 20 games before I felt comfortable with them. But once I got the hang of it, the game really opened up for me. I was able to do things on the virtual ice that I'd never seen before and the experience blossomed.
I have the same feeling with FNrd4. It's going to take some people (like me who has 2 left thumbs) some time to become comfortable using only sticks. But once that happens, it's going to be a very rich and enjoyable experience.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Money - thanks for the review. I also share your concern about too many knockdowns and fighters cutting too quickly - I am hoping this game will be authentic as possible. Also as far as realism I have 3 questions about knockouts -

1. are there flash KOs (When I mean KOs I mean fighter is done and done, not really a chance to get up - not a flash knockdown) - I just couldn't stand round 3 how you could knock each other down so many times . . ..I mean it happens but a knockout puncher has that potential to just end the fight altogether with one big punch

2. You said you really liked the knockdown animations you saw - are they like ragdoll effects . .? kinda like FNR2 .. .I like decent knockdown animations Im just hoping they have a few animations in there that don't look like a devastating punch landed every single time, almost like a softer knockdown.

3. Can you take a knee if you are getting pummeled?

thanks in advance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
Money - thanks for the review. I also share your concern about too many knockdowns and fighters cutting too quickly - I am hoping this game will be authentic as possible. Also as far as realism I have 3 questions about knockouts -

1. are there flash KOs (When I mean KOs I mean fighter is done and done, not really a chance to get up - not a flash knockdown) - I just couldn't stand round 3 how you could knock each other down so many times . . ..I mean it happens but a knockout puncher has that potential to just end the fight altogether with one big punch
I never saw one but I believe the producers said they'll be in there.
Maybe Shakyr, Complex, Darxide or Wepeeler could comment because they might have witnessed one.

I know that I saw one-punch knockdowns that seemed impossible to get up from. Depending no how badly you're hurt, the difficulty in rising from the canvas is affected.

Quote:
2. You said you really liked the knockdown animations you saw - are they like ragdoll effects . .? kinda like FNR2 .. .I like decent knockdown animations Im just hoping they have a few animations in there that don't look like a devastating punch landed every single time, almost like a softer knockdown.
They're kind of like a ragdoll affect, but not nearly as exaggerated like FNRd2 where it looked like everyone had been shot by an Elephant gun.
I just remember thinking that every knockdown looked realistic and cool.

Quote:
3. Can you take a knee if you are getting pummeled?
That's an excellent question and I'm embarassed that I never heard this come up.
Again, I'll have to ask the other gents that were present if they heard or saw anything about this.
Sorry.

Quote:
thanks in advance
Anytime!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
Rookie

They're kind of like a ragdoll affect, but not nearly as exaggerated like FNRd2 where it looked like everyone had been shot by an Elephant gun.

lol well put - that was my sentiments exactly - every knockdown looked like a career ender
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187

lol well put - that was my sentiments exactly - every knockdown looked like a career ender
LOL. Yeah. Don't get me wrong. Those knockdowns were wildly entertaining but far from realistic.

The knockdowns in FNRd4 look spot on. The one KD that Tyson suffered looked so authentic. It looked just like the one he sustained in the first Holyfield fight. Fell back, legs in the air, trunks half way up his thigh. Looked very good.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
LOL. Yeah. Don't get me wrong. Those knockdowns were wildly entertaining but far from realistic.

The knockdowns in FNRd4 look spot on. The one KD that Tyson suffered looked so authentic. It looked just like the one he sustained in the first Holyfield fight. Fell back, legs in the air, trunks half way up his thigh. Looked very good.
Oh man - that sounds awesome! Hey from the fights you saw - how many knockdowns would you say on average it took before a fighter was finished - was it similar to last year? also is there an option to turn off the knockdown game - and have your fighter automatically get up? sorry to bombard you with questions - I'm kinda fired up now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I also don't like the "knockdown game". Should be automatic reflecting the fighter's heart, chin rating, and cumulative damage sustained.
How does the "Haymaker Button" work-like the signature punch in Round 3? I'm sure it will be slow developing and energy sapping.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »