Home

Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Fight Night Round 4 Hands-On Preview/Impressions (Money99 Blog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
Oh man - that sounds awesome! Hey from the fights you saw - how many knockdowns would you say on average it took before a fighter was finished - was it similar to last year? also is there an option to turn off the knockdown game - and have your fighter automatically get up? sorry to bombard you with questions - I'm kinda fired up now!
Again, you might be disappointed with my limited memory.

Almost all of the fights that took place were human vs human. So because of that, and the fact that nobody besides Mandy from the Community event was good at getting up, a lot of fights ended with the first knockdown.

Like I mentioned earlier, the more hurt you are, the harder it is to get up. So at this point, I'm not sure if everyone experienced devastating knockout punches or they were just bad at getting up.

There were 2 guys beside me who fought almost exclusively as Tyson. So every fight was Tyson vs. Tyson.
In the middle of our hands-on time we were served food so many of us got up to get a bite. On my way to the chow line I walked past their screen and noticed that their fight had ended in a 12 round decision with only 1 knockdown.

So that evidence would suggest that you can take some shots before being put out.

However, the hotspots do come into play. If a big puncher lands flush on someone's chin (especially a weak chin) you'll get hurt in a hurry and possible never get up from the knockdown.

I'm not sure if you can have the CPU control getting up. I don't remember hearing that was an option.

And don't apologize for asking questions. That's why we were sent there; to observe and report. Ask as many as you like.
I just feel bad that I'm not able to answer all of your questions. We only had 3-4 hours with the game so between getting used to the controls, and just soaking in the experience, I felt like I didn't get as much time as I wanted. I could have played that game all freakin' day if EA let me.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I also don't like the "knockdown game". Should be automatic reflecting the fighter's heart, chin rating, and cumulative damage sustained.
How does the "Haymaker Button" work-like the signature punch in Round 3? I'm sure it will be slow developing and energy sapping.
The haymaker, from what I remember, is simply a button press.
It's slower, more telegraphed and requires more stamina to pull off.

Because of the physics engine countering plays a very large roll in FNRd4. So if you decide to throw a haymaker, you better time it right, or chuck it at the right time.

If you're facing someone who's adept with the game, they'll easily duck or counter that shot for an easy multiple punch combo.

Oops. That reminds me that I forgot to mention blocking. You no longer have to block north-south and east-west. You simply block up or down. Your blocking attributes and meter will dictate how well your block will be.

And remember, again, because of the physics, your block automatically doesn't deflect all punches aimed at the area you're protecting. If you block your head your opponent can move to the side and fire off a hook that will land flush behind your gloves.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

sounds sweet Money. Can you explain again how the bobbing and weaving controls work? The way u described it in your blog was confusing for me. Do you weave with the right or left stick, and which way are you supposed to move it?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

Great write-up Money.

Does the game seem faster in person compared to some of the vids that have been released? I know 60fps may not show up on videos.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 8

Money...awesome write up. It sounds like you had a great time and I'm itching to play this game more than any game that I can remember. I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a stick player on FN3. Does that mean the learning curve for me should be minimal?

2. What fighters did you get to use? Could you feel the difference in each fighters ability and difference in weightclass? Did everyone at the event have the full roster at their fingertips to use? If so, does the rumored roster look pretty accurate?

3. I noticed in one of the other preview write ups (Eurogamer or videogamer) that DLC was mentioned as a possiblity. Did anyone at the event suggest this was indeed a viable option to get fighters like PBF, Hopkins, Ward, DLH, Marquez, Juan Diaz, etc.? It just seems that the omission of Hopkins, Ward, DLH, and others who were in the last installement is somewhat puzzling.

I'm so fired up for the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Thanks for the for the Replies Money

I'll say this with NHL 07-09 and Skate the idea with the stick was to give you more precision....Thats not the case with FN 4 is it

I still have my doubts about the R Stick in this game. I just don't like the idea of your thoughts being focused on anything but your opponent while in the ring.

Im gonna wait for the demo before I completely write this off though

I don't know why they would want to create this problem though. Give the user the option to play the games how they want to play them and make two lobbies for each crowd Online

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 05-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
sounds sweet Money. Can you explain again how the bobbing and weaving controls work? The way u described it in your blog was confusing for me. Do you weave with the right or left stick, and which way are you supposed to move it?
Sorry about that.
You use the left analog stick to bob and weave. So if you want to bob to the right, move the left analog stick from 12:00 to 3:00 and 6:00 to 3:00 for a bob to the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sva91
Great write-up Money.

Does the game seem faster in person compared to some of the vids that have been released? I know 60fps may not show up on videos.
Again, I'll plead the 5th on my memory. But from my recollection the action is fast and very smooth. BUTTER smooth.
And no, the action never seemed too fast. Boxers can get off punches very quick in real life. Even heavyweights.
This game is going to be about strategy. FAR more strategy than any boxing game you've ever played.
If you plan on going right at someone and engage in a Haglar-Hearns type war, then prepare for the consequences if you get nailed or stopped early.
Stick-and-move, mix up combos, get in tight, block, clinch, etc. You need to do all of these things (which depends on who you're fighting with) to have success.

Last edited by Money99; 05-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk_Bonin
Money...awesome write up. It sounds like you had a great time and I'm itching to play this game more than any game that I can remember. I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a stick player on FN3. Does that mean the learning curve for me should be minimal?
Yes. Definitely. You'll still need to learn the bob and weave and that body shots don't require a modifier. But if you were solid on FN Rd3 your learning curve will be a short one.

Quote:
2. What fighters did you get to use? Could you feel the difference in each fighters ability and difference in weightclass? Did everyone at the event have the full roster at their fingertips to use? If so, does the rumored roster look pretty accurate?
I remember using Pavlik, Haglar, Hearns, Lewis, Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Corrales, Gamboa, Foreman. I know I used more but I can't remember off the top of my head. But yes, the smaller fighters are faster, while the bigger fighters have more weight to their punches - or so it seemed.
We only had 20 fighters at our finger tips. And some of them weren't even finished yet so they had a manacan like face without features. It was pretty funny to watch.

Emanuel Agustus was hilarious to watch because they got his movements down perfectly - which were actually captured by producer Brian Hayes who mimicked his signature movements for the game.

Quote:
3. I noticed in one of the other preview write ups (Eurogamer or videogamer) that DLC was mentioned as a possibility. Did anyone at the event suggest this was indeed a viable option to get fighters like PBF, Hopkins, Ward, DLH, Marquez, Juan Diaz, etc.? It just seems that the omission of Hopkins, Ward, DLH, and others who were in the last installment is somewhat puzzling.

I'm so fired up for the game.
Sorry, they never mentioned anything about DLC so I can't give an educated answer for that. But considering how popular DLC's are becoming I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Thanks for the for the Replies Money

I'll say this with NHL 07-09 and Skate the idea with the stick was to give you more precision....Thats not the case with FN 4 is it

I still have my doubts about the R Stick in this game. I just don't like the idea of your thoughts being focused on anything but your opponent while in the ring.

Im gonna wait for the demo before I completely write this off though

I don't know why they would want to create this problem though. Give the user the option to play the games how they want to play them and make two lobbies for each crowd Online
Trust me, many people at the community event voiced their displeasure for the lack of button control.
I got the feeling that this decision came from up top - don't quote me on that however because I have 0% to prove this. It's just the impression I got from speaking with the producers and developers.

Regarding the controls, when I first started playing this game that's basically all I concentrated on. But by the end of the hour (maybe sooner?) it started to become 2nd nature.
Eventually, you start to fire off multiple combinations without even thinking of where your thumbs are.
Downloading the demo before purchasing is a great idea. It'll give you lots of time to master the controls and get a feel for the game and the AI. You can't go wrong with that line of thinking.
I'm sure you'll love this game once you get your hands on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »