Home

Madden NFL 10: PRO-TAK - What's NOT There Yet...

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10: PRO-TAK - What's NOT There Yet... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 52
Madden NFL 10: PRO-TAK - What's NOT There Yet...

I think more and more videos are going to be coming out by our marketing department and from preview events...just wanted to let you guys know what's missing from the feature still that we are working on (this also is a bit of a response to apex and co. and their critiques).

The biggest missing feature is probably carrying through velocity from original animations -> PRO-TAK. You can see that on the Lendale White video...meaning that when players transition from a normal mocap tackle into PRO-TAK stuff their velocities get zeroed out (meaning they stop in place). This will definitely be addressed before we ship...our goal is that you don't even notice the transition from one to the other...it should just look like another guy added on seamlessly. This is causing a lot of the feeling of "it needs more umph"...

Second biggest is the "warping" into the PRO-TAK multi-man stuff. This hasn't been tuned really so guys are just 'suction-ing' like magnets to the ballcarrier. Also when the guys add on the goal is that they drastically effect the pile's velocity and positioning and stuff...right now they just attach and that's about it. Again when the feature is actually done you should feel a lot more 'power' when these guys hit the pile.

The "endless chopping" stuff is often turned on for demo purposes...this will really not happen in the game when it ships...you'll see a guy drive forward and they'll then get pushed to fall forward or backward (or sideways or whatever) way quicker than just standing up chopping their feet.

Lastly, we really don't have barely any animation variety in there yet. We're looking to at least add quadruple the amount of stuff to keep it fresh. We've built some new tech this year that basically swaps the animation banks for each PRO-TAK set of animations after they play (moving them to the end of the list after they do), but up until basically today we haven't had the variety to swap. That will be coming very soon as well.

So anyway, I don't want to act like I don't want feedback from you guys as you see the new stuff...all of it is valuable and please keep posting...but I also wanted to let you know what we're currently working on. We definitely aren't going to be spending our whole cycle on this tech to have it not come out looking perfect. We just have to balance the needs of marketing to show stuff early even when it's not done.

- Ian
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Rookie

mngophers21's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: PRO-TAK - what's NOT there yet...

Can't wait, great job!!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think more and more videos are going to be coming out by our marketing department and from preview events...just wanted to let you guys know what's missing from the feature still that we are working on (this also is a bit of a response to apex and co. and their critiques).

The biggest missing feature is probably carrying through velocity from original animations -> PRO-TAK. You can see that on the Lendale White video...meaning that when players transition from a normal mocap tackle into PRO-TAK stuff their velocities get zeroed out (meaning they stop in place). This will definitely be addressed before we ship...our goal is that you don't even notice the transition from one to the other...it should just look like another guy added on seamlessly. This is causing a lot of the feeling of "it needs more umph"...

Second biggest is the "warping" into the PRO-TAK multi-man stuff. This hasn't been tuned really so guys are just 'suction-ing' like magnets to the ballcarrier. Also when the guys add on the goal is that they drastically effect the pile's velocity and positioning and stuff...right now they just attach and that's about it. Again when the feature is actually done you should feel a lot more 'power' when these guys hit the pile.

The "endless chopping" stuff is often turned on for demo purposes...this will really not happen in the game when it ships...you'll see a guy drive forward and they'll then get pushed to fall forward or backward (or sideways or whatever) way quicker than just standing up chopping their feet.

Lastly, we really don't have barely any animation variety in there yet. We're looking to at least add quadruple the amount of stuff to keep it fresh. We've built some new tech this year that basically swaps the animation banks for each PRO-TAK set of animations after they play (moving them to the end of the list after they do), but up until basically today we haven't had the variety to swap. That will be coming very soon as well.

So anyway, I don't want to act like I don't want feedback from you guys as you see the new stuff...all of it is valuable and please keep posting...but I also wanted to let you know what we're currently working on. We definitely aren't going to be spending our whole cycle on this tech to have it not come out looking perfect. We just have to balance the needs of marketing to show stuff early even when it's not done.

- Ian
Thats what I told them on the youtube. Thx for addressing this so fast. Ncaa devs need to take notes.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Thanks for the heads up Ian!! The work you and your team is putting into this game is much appreciated!!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 24

Good stuff, thanks. I'm excited for how the final product will look.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

- Ian
thats great news! So I guess that means the players not having colored cleats and long socks is just for marketing? but when the game ships they will have colored cleats and long socks? This is the best news i've heard today! Thanks Ian lol
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17

Cool, cant wait to see some more vids.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

It sounds interesting so far. I'll wait to see the upcoming videos and the details regarding tackling.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »