Home

NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

ESPN Videogames have posted NHL 10: Five Things to Know.

Quote:
"A lot of people loved Be a Pro mode last year where we put you down on the ice as a player. People love being on the ice," says Littman. "So when we were looking at our fighting this year and making fighting a big feature, putting you right there in the skates of an NHL player is our goal. That's why we went with first-person fighting. If you've played any first-person game, then you know how it feels -- you're right there in the scene. It's a much better way to be interactive than if you're looking in from a top-down view. So that's where we started with first-person fighting. Right now, it's looking pretty good because when you get punched, you get punched right in the face and it's coming at you right in your screen. This huge fist comes at you from this huge fighter, and it hits you in the face. And then you, you're doing all of your punching with the right stick, and of course you can also dodge and try to make him miss while you're throwing punches and trying to hit the other player while this big fist flies your way."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Pro

Nomah5's Arena

OVR: 7
Cant wait!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Sounds good! From the screens it's pretty clear that proper board pinning will be in at the very least, and the new crowds both look and sound great as well.

The whole 'enforcer' idea sounds very similar to what 2k did a few years back, here's hoping EA do a better job of implementing it. Nice to see fighting getting some love too, although if I'm honest I hope they put in an option for a standard 3rd person camera for those that want it. Really looking foward to hearing more.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Great info so far, I'm liking the post play actions/penalties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm loving it, I just hope this doesn't turn every game into a slugfest. Teams like Detroit fight around 15 times a year, so they shouldn't be out there slashing and face-washing after the whistle.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Some good info in that! Hence why there are NDA's folks.

Anyway, some of this stuff is cause for concern, but hopefully it is done well and implemented correctly and it all works smoothly and flawlessly. I am glad fighting has been redone and now has a place in the game, I hope it is not overdone or abused. I think Dave L. gets that though.

Really love the crowd interactions! That sounds great and hope it replicates true life well.

Post play scrums and face washes haha, sounds good, something we have been asking for. Hoping the board play and cycling is a lot better too. From the one screen shot it looks to have some potential of being improved, time will tell of course.

My vote for cover athlete is a young Captain from the Hawks by the way. Making that my official prediction right now, even though it may not go with the new features going into the game with the intimdation stuff etc.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyy
I'm loving it, I just hope this doesn't turn every game into a slugfest. Teams like Detroit fight around 15 times a year, so they shouldn't be out there slashing and face-washing after the whistle.

But at the same time i hope that they don't have a maximum of 3 fights per game.

Would be really dumb if the other team starts 3 fights and then put the pressure on you, and you cant do anything about it.

By looking at the screenshots, the crowd interaction need some work thou. It's very evident in the Kesler screen. Most of the crowd aren't even remotely interested in the play.

Last edited by shakeable; 05-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »