Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online (Press Release)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online (Press Release) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online (Press Release)

The problem with PC games over the years were A) Too many stolen/downloaded games; B) Big-time requirements for your PC and videocard, forcing expensive upgrades.

I know when I was big into PC gaming, I was constantly upgrading my rig.

Now, thanks to the 360 and ps3, I don't worry about such things.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18

Tons of games sell well on the PC in spite of pirates so I doubt if they have much impact on sales IMO. Those titles would include Oblivion , Mass Effect , The Witcher , Fallout.. ect. ect. Its clear that the PC market is more about FPS and RPGs while the sports guys have slowly moved to consoles due to various reasons.

It might be different with sports titles since EA releases the same stuff every year and it really doesnt make sense to pay 50$ for a golf game every year ( makes even less sense to pay for a sub ).. I would blame EA before I would blame the " pirates ". PC gamers seem to be a little less forgiving being forced to buy the same titles every year and not see an improvement ( not upgrading the PC with the newest graphics also did not help - Madden ).

This is probably the only thing I will agree with baa7 about... But to me its clear that EA wants to squeeze a monthly fee out of the PC Golfers to line their pockets with.

I dont care for it. TW does not have enough depth to warrant a monthly fee.

The only way for this to work is if they treat it like an MMO and get tons of courses ,tons more equipment , character progression , monthly tournaments with prizes , a shop to buy equipment with ingame money ( gotten by winning and how well you play ) , a drop based system so you can " find " items by making great shots.. ect.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1
It sounds like they are going to compete against the likes of WTG.com, which is a REALLY cool game and may be the new way that golf games go.

You can buy new equipment to upgrade, they offer online monthly tourneys which are either free or cost $$ to play. You win real $$ or credits toward equipment.

They currently have the US Open course and are having a virtual US Open qualifying tourney now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
Rookie

cdogbuck's Arena

OVR: 3

I certainly hope EA takes heed to what their online golfers will be saying about the beta.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogbuck
I certainly hope EA takes heed to what their online golfers will be saying about the beta.
Sign up for the beta and if selected you will find out for yourself. The team building this game is not the EA you are familiar with from past TW PC games....
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Sign up for the beta and if selected you will find out for yourself. The team building this game is not the EA you are familiar with from past TW PC games....
Divot,

How is the current TW PC community taking the news? I imagine this has to really hamper some of the course creation the current community is built around. I am wondering if this is going to create the kind of situation we have seen in other games(MVP05, Links, etc) where TW08PC will become a commodity.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Divot,

How is the current TW PC community taking the news? I imagine this has to really hamper some of the course creation the current community is built around. I am wondering if this is going to create the kind of situation we have seen in other games(MVP05, Links, etc) where TW08PC will become a commodity.
Mixed. Many are worried about custom courses going away and other are worried about not having a DVD for the game itself. When everyone sees the entire strategy that EA is employing, I do believe many fears will be subdued...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
MVP

A good article about TW Online written by one of the Beta testers.....

http://backnineblog.net/2009/06/04/t...a-impressions/

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »