Home

FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’ within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’

In an interview with MCV, David Rutter, Producer of FIFA Soccer 10 says, "It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA".

Quote:
"FIFA producer David Rutter feels that it is time for the press to stop attacking EA Sports – as the firm attempts to top last year’s groundbreaking FIFA release.

Rutter is the man tasked with meeting EA Sports president Peter Moore’s ambitious targets for FIFA 2010, which include reaching an average Metacritic score of 90 and adding to the ten million current FIFA gamers from the world’s two billion football fans. And Rutter is confident that this pressure will push the team to create the best FIFA game yet.

“I am extremely proud and privileged to be doing this job,” he said.

“It does upset me that people bad-mouth EA, and I used to be one of those people. But the fact that I am allowed to spend so much money on making good gameplay, without having to do anything gimmicky, to me speaks volumes of the work Peter Moore and other people in the organisation are doing.

“And that is doing what matters most to the fans, refining the game, innovating and putting in game modes that people want."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’

I love when he says, " But the fact that I am allowed to spend so much money on making good gameplay, without having to do anything gimmicky..."

That is what separates NHL and FIFA from NCAA. The good games focus on gameplay, not gimmicks.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Yea but FIFA 09 is full of broken gameplay.

The "ping-pong" passing that's allowed with assisted passing, I love how also in certain situations assisted passing makes your defender slow down and move out of position just enough to allow the ball to get through. 40+ yard through balls right up the middle of the field to a man who is pretty covered but the ball gets through somehow anyway...defenders don't even stick a leg out to deflect the ball off track. It seems if you finesse a shot from pretty much anywhere near the 18 yard box the goalie will 9 times out of 10 parry it back out to the other team instead of catching it.

How about when a player is at a dead standstill but still shoots the ball into the top corner from about 14 yards away as if he had full momentum behind the shot.

When people hold the A button to chase your player down from behind and they somehow keep up with you without your legs getting tangled up (which is probably what would happen if two players ran in such a close vacinity like that at full speed) and most of the time they just push you right off of the ball if your pass doesn't come off in time.

What about the fact that you don't have to conserve your energy in BAP: Team Play matches? I see people sprinting the entire game and they're still fast enough to outrun defeners in the closing minutes of a game even though they don't have a stamina bar anymore, while the defender has at least 3/4's of his stamina left.

FIFA 09 was just made faster and morphed into one huge highlight reel. And if a person doesn't want to play realistically he's not penalized for it, the gameplay isn't grounded in reality at all.

The ball is still on a rail, and I clearly remember that one of the alleged improvements of FIFA 09 was the fact that the ball was supposed to be completely independent now...

So I'd say FIFA has just as much work to do as NCAA has.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 06-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21
So it upsets this guy that people want a good game for their money? I'm all for Ea sports games and always have been but this whining sounds worse than people who flood the message boards with facemask requests. Grow up man.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
That is what separates NHL and FIFA from NCAA. The good games focus on gameplay, not gimmicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
Yea but FIFA 09 is full of broken gameplay.
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. IMO, EA's NHL series doesn't resemble hockey in the slightest. The "controls" and the "smoothness" is are great and all that, but the "gameplay" is laughably arcade. On the other hand, FIFA at least resembles the sport they're trying to emulate.

But until EA overhauls the "We're not actually going to fix this game because it's the ultimate cash cow" and uber-arcade fest Madden series, nobody from EA Sports should be whining about EA being bad-mouthed. That and the fact that for all the talk here about budget and money to spend, neither FIFA 09 nor NHL 09 were anything except a minor upgrade from the previous version. And in many ways, the 08 versions of both were the better games -- certainly in the case of NHL.

Or let's put it this way: they're not exactly busting their humps in the "new and innovative" department. One look at the Madden 10 vids will tell you that, LOL.

Last edited by baa7; 06-09-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

FIFA 09 may resemble soccer but it's not a simulation of real soccer at all. It's so laughable everytime you see a defender or midfielder make a beeline for the ball when it's being brought up the pitch, you can't over commit like that because in real life the dribbler can easily 'meg you or tap it around you and proceed with his buisness. In FIFA you can just hold the A button and run at someone and there are 3 possible outcomes:

1.) the defender smashes into the dribbler and steals the ball head on (often times knocking the dribbler to the ground.)

2.) the defender is making a beeline for the ball and you press the button to pass the ball before you're mauled and ou either pass it right to the defender, even if you weren't aiming at him, or the pass doesn't come off in time because a defender running at the ball can cover 5-10 yards before you can trap the ball and pass...and option #1 ensues.

3.) you successfully pass the ball before you're mauled.

Now in real life why are players able to stop the ball and face a man that's marking him without having to worry about that guy running at him like a homing missle? Because if you can clearly see a defender coming at you, it's very easy to tap the ball around him and go.

But FIFA doesn't allow this, and it caters to the unreaistic bull **** where the press and holding of one button trumps all.

Of course you can avoid this situation by getting good with skill moves and also shielding the ball and putting your back to the defender to draw a foul. But that whole mechanic of holding on button to run at the ball needs to be gone, now.

My whole point is...this video is not possible when playing FIFA online because instead of that defender worrying about getting beat and looking foolish...the user is holding the A button and he's running straight through Ronadlo.

So yea, I'm not sure what Mr. Rutter is talking about because this game is far from being a simulation. It's an arcade game at best, it might not have a ton of gimmicks...but the game seems to be catered to the little kid demographc with zero attention to detail.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

The point raised about the unrealistic standing tackle press is a good one and one that has bothered me for quite some time. Hopefully the new standing tackle/jostle engine will improve this area...

As far as what Rutter said, I don't think it's worth dwelling on or debating.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

For starters I can understand his frustration. Unfortunately, the 800lb gorilla, bully, top of the heap company will get bashed all the time. They will also be the most loved and hated at all times. It's the same in every industry, sport, whatever. If you're on top, you'll take a beating whether it's warranted or not. It's never going to change. He'll have to get used to it.

I will give him his props though, for the money statement. FIFA 10 will be the third year in a row without a back of the box feature.

08: Can You FIFA

09: Let's FIFA 09

10: ???

The team is doing what we as a community and other communities (for the most part) globally have been asking for for years. For the third year in a row GAMEPLAY is the focus. If the trend of improvement continues FIFA 10 will be a good game.

Unfortunately, the game is far short of being a simulation on the pitch, and the game modes are completely boring. Online play is filled with cheaters and cheeseballs (not you Q!) and online team play is like watching the Showtime Lakers from the 80s run up and down the court. It's a joke.

While a lot of the dev time over the last few years has been devoted to gameplay, too much has been devoted to online play. Never thought I'd say this, but the FIFA team needs to take a page from the Madden guys handbook:

"If it happens on Sunday, it needs to be in the game. If it doesn't then it needs to be out."

Poor sub patterns, lack of fouls, psychotic CPU defenders, old school CPU cheats STILL programmed in at the higher playing levels. I could go on. You get the idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »