Home

Fight Night Round 4 Video: E3 Gameplay (Chase @ E3)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Round 4 Video: E3 Gameplay (Chase @ E3) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Fight Night Round 4 Video: E3 Gameplay (Chase @ E3)

Sliders generally aren't an option for ranked matches in sports games, so they can add all the sliders they want, but they won't help with how I play the Fight Night games 99% of the time - ranked games online. To me, boxing games (and most sport games) are really best to played against a human opponent. If the default online settings don't penalize throwing an insane amout of punches per round, there's nothing I can do to fix that. I have a feeling that's going to be the case from the demo and the videos.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
Sliders generally aren't an option for ranked matches in sports games, so they can add all the sliders they want, but they won't help with how I play the Fight Night games 99% of the time - ranked games online. To me, boxing games (and most sport games) are really best to played against a human opponent. If the default online settings don't penalize throwing an insane amout of punches per round, there's nothing I can do to fix that. I have a feeling that's going to be the case from the demo and the videos.
True but if you relying on ranked matches to get your sim fix then your lookin in the wrong place to begin with IMO because not only are those guys looking for a quick W to add to his/her record, the game isnt build to be played as a full sim boxing game....while your the sim guy thats playing online your next 7 out of 10 match ups are against casual arcade guys who are comparing this game to SF4....

Last edited by Jukeman; 06-09-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #19

OVR: 34

How are you going to make a game that won't allow one individual to play how he wants? You can't. A game can be the best representation of a sport but in the wrong hands, it's not.

Seeing two random people playing this game as a slugfest and then saying, "That settles it, I'm not getting it" is somewhat shallow.

What if you get online and are able to jab and move avoiding these inside brawlers and they tire out quickly, giving you an easy win? It just makes no sense to me when people make final claims on a game they have never played.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

The main issues I see in regard to FN4 can be fixed with sliders:

Stamina - Personally, I think the stamina is fine as is...its the regeneration of stamina that is the problem. Keep in mind that the demo is only for 3 rounds, and I've taken a quarter off my opponent's stamina entering the 3rd round. By making the stamina regeneration slower, it will make the punches less accurate and less powerful, forcing your opponent to let it fill up some, which in turn will lower the punch output.

Punch Damage/Health - I think the damage taken away by punches is too low. There is no reason for a 5 punch combo consisting of uppercuts and hooks to leave a fighter with near max health. If punches did more damage, that would force the opponent to go on the defensive to regenerate their health, thus lowering the punch output.

Evasiveness - This is the issue that probably can't be fixed with sliders, but maybe a patch. The lean back move is basically worthless because you will still get hit. The only way I'm able to avoid a punch is by:
-bob and weave (in which you can still get hit sometimes)
-blocking
-dash backwards move (side dash move doesn't work right)
When fighters move in close, they feel like they're stuck together, and you can't move away from the punches.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #21
Supporter

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
I doubt a video to promote a game are gonna show(especially employees) a sim match up cuz lets face it SIM is boring to tge masses, so to answer your question no, there are no vids of tgat sort....

I agree, you should be able to feint and more your head and feet at the same time, but I dont no a game that is perfect nor any boxing game(console) the allowed you to move your head and feet at once altho VB came close....

Like I said, no game is perfect and dispite all the flaws I can point out in tge UFC game(especailly if I wanna get picky) Im still having a blast with it....
I don't see why developers wouldn't want to try to make their product as real to life as possible. If they didn't want to go that route, I don't see why they would say their goal is to bring the most realistic boxing sim ever, and then proceed to play the game and throw an insane amount of punches. Point being, they know what a lot of boxing fans want, and that's why they've decided to try and promote realism in various ways (muscle flex, reach, boxing styles etc), mixed with action during their trailers. I'm not seeing why they would try to promote mashing, for what, so they can show a quick knockout; they could show that in trailers. As a matter of fact, do you recall the devs trying to pour water on the fire storm that was about to start when people saw Peter Moore on Spike playing the game (mashing ridiculously I might add)? They (the devs) put alot of emphasis on that being an early build of the game. Point is, they have very little to gain by showing mashing. I know they've said they want to bring the most realistic boxing game ever (out the box maybe), but judging from what I've seen and played so far, it tells me something different.

This guy (talking about the guy in the E3 video) isn't promoting the video, and he knows how the O.S crowd is, why would it appear that he's boxing unrealistically as well? If you look at the video in this thread, both Pavlik and Robinson were trying to pick their shots, stick and move, and play in a realistic fashion, but the results were still not positive in the gameplay department IMO. It looked unauthentic, and very arcade-like even before they went punch drunk; so could it be that everybody we've seen play this game hasn't tried to play sim, or could it be that the game in itself is not meant to be played sim? I think I'll take the latter. Yes you could nit-pick at UFC undisputed for its flaws, but it still wouldn't take away from this games' flaws. I've said before that I'm not expecting a perfect game out of FNR4, but at the same time, I still expected more realism from this game and in most aspects where real life boxing shines, I haven't seen it in this title.

Quote:
As for sliders, assuming they work correctly...

Ref awr- should see fight stoppage do to cuts and TKO's or what not...

Boxer speed- which will make the game faster(its slow in the demo) and should help foot speed

Punch power- self explanatory and could counter the boxer speed to even out the game play if needed

Punch output- less of a slug fest and maybe the cpu wont smoother you

Off awr- counters, better punch selection

Def awr- better blocking less hit %

Stamina- self explainatory

Toughness- more/less knockdowns/KO's

Physical damage- ^

A slider maker could possibly make this game better
I agree that these sliders can make this game exponentially better, and I'm not even a huge fan of using sliders in any game. I think some of where we differ is:

1. that you put more stock in sliders than I do,

2. I'm not expecting the devs to make stamina a huge factor as it should be (online talk).

3. And yes I do plan on going online, where I doubt they would allow you to use sliders in rank matches. I'm not even necessarily looking for sim matches online, but I do expect it to be plausible and competitive. I do recognize that there is always garbage players online in any game, but that doesn't mean that I should avoid online like the plague. If they weren't going to make it atleast playable online, than they shouldn't have included it. You've mentioned UFC before, that game isn't perfect online, but it does a good job (good job not great) in various ways when it comes to punishing spammers who throws alot of strikes (stamina being the main culprit in that regard). That's mainly what I'm hoping for online, I hope FNR4 punishes people that throw way too many punches online, but again I'm not incline to believe if that's what they really want to do.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
I don't see why developers wouldn't want to try to make their product as real to life as possible. If they didn't want to go that route, I don't see why they would say their goal is to bring the most realistic boxing sim ever, and then proceed to play the game and throw an insane amount of punches. Point being, they know what a lot of boxing fans want, and that's why they've decided to try and promote realism in various ways (muscle flex, reach, boxing styles etc), mixed with action during their trailers. I'm not seeing why they would try to promote mashing, for what, so they can show a quick knockout; they could show that in trailers. As a matter of fact, do you recall the devs trying to pour water on the fire storm that was about to start when people saw Peter Moore on Spike playing the game (mashing ridiculously I might add)? They (the devs) put alot of emphasis on that being an early build of the game. Point is, they have very little to gain by showing mashing. I know they've said they want to bring the most realistic boxing game ever (out the box maybe), but judging from what I've seen and played so far, it tells me something different.

This guy (talking about the guy in the E3 video) isn't promoting the video, and he knows how the O.S crowd is, why would it appear that he's boxing unrealistically as well? If you look at the video in this thread, both Pavlik and Robinson were trying to pick their shots, stick and move, and play in a realistic fashion, but the results were still not positive in the gameplay department IMO. It looked unauthentic, and very arcade-like even before they went punch drunk; so could it be that everybody we've seen play this game hasn't tried to play sim, or could it be that the game in itself is not meant to be played sim? I think I'll take the latter. Yes you could nit-pick at UFC undisputed for its flaws, but it still wouldn't take away from this games' flaws. I've said before that I'm not expecting a perfect game out of FNR4, but at the same time, I still expected more realism from this game and in most aspects where real life boxing shines, I haven't seen it in this title.

I agree that these sliders can make this game exponentially better, and I'm not even a huge fan of using sliders in any game. I think some of where we differ is:

2. I'm not expecting the devs to make stamina a huge factor as it should be (online talk).

3. And yes I do plan on going online, where I doubt they would allow you to use sliders in rank matches. I'm not even necessarily looking for sim matches online, but I do expect it to be plausible and competitive. I do recognize that there is always garbage players online in any game, but that doesn't mean that I should avoid online like the plague. If they weren't going to make it atleast playable online, than they shouldn't have included it. You've mentioned UFC before, that game isn't perfect online, but it does a good job (good job not great) in various ways when it comes to punishing spammers who throws alot of strikes (stamina being the main culprit in that regard). That's mainly what I'm hoping for online, I hope FNR4 punishes people that throw way too many punches online, but again I'm not incline to believe if that's what they really want to do.
I agree with everything you posted and its the main beef Ive had with EA for over the last 10 years....

Also they said that the stamina will be fixed in the final game, if that helps...

IMO the reason why we may see these type of vids are because of the speed...hopefully it will be more fluid with adjustments, sorry bout online play...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
The video in question posted in this thread is from the 4th round and both fighters have only half of their stamina left. This means by round 8 they should be completely gassed. And this is on default. If i were fighting one of these dudes online they'd have no chance against me. I'd just sit back use my footwork to keep my distance play defensively work the body and drain their stamina and KO them in the later rounds.

IN round 4 this is a strategy that will work.

I would love for more realistic and faster footwork and harder punch impacts. But even with the slugfests we see in the vids, the tools are there to really box if we want to.

Im holding off my final judgement till the game is in my hands. A footspeed slider is all i would need to be happy forever.

Last edited by Vast; 06-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani

Great post man and I agree 100%..I have been trying to say this for a while...To me every video we have seen of this game looks the same..Even when it tries to become sim it deteriorates into a slugfest...I think the main problems are that the foot speed and agility aren't readily differentiated between each fighter enabling fighters to come foward and creating a slug fest easily..i also stil don't think that the jab or any other punch other thaan the haymakers packs enough sting to truly keep a boxer at bay thereby throwing all strategy out the window because fighters just walk through every punch without seriously at least being stunned...So me staying on the outside popping the jab and creating space is esentially nullified because of the lack of foot speed and agility as well as the lack of ""OOOMMPHH"..LOL in the jab cross, or combinations..I have played the demo with an open mind but it just leads to slugfests because of these problems..People have made excuses for the demo..and the style of Pac and Hatton as the reason for these slugfests..But I watch the Whitaker Duran video and the same thing happens..matter of fact every video I have seen looks and plays exactly like the demo...

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »