Home

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review

This is a discussion on EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review

Under normal circumstances, tennis games wouldn't usually receive a whole lot of hype or attention from the mainstream media.

Then again, most tennis games aren’t debuting alongside a new controller technology that’s supposed to revolutionize the way gamers can interact with the industry’s leading console.

Hence the roaring hype for EA’s Grand Slam Tennis, a game that both Nintendo and EA have christened as the ushering in of a new era in motion control.

Now that the finished product is finally in our hands, it's sad to have to report that Grand Slam Tennis fails to successfully deliver the promised one-to-one motion recognition. It's also sad to report that the game also comes with a number of frustrating inconsistencies that show how the Wii MotionPlus technology is not quite the startling revolution that was initially promised.

Read More - EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review

Platform: Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 11
I Agree With the you guys on the wii motion plus being laggy at times but overall i like it
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8
Even with it's M+ issues, it's the most fun I've ever had with a tennis video game. From a technical & features perspective, I can understand the review and score, but I don't agree with it. When I consider the whole package including the presentation, the multiplayer and the amount of pure fun that I am having getting better at the game, it's a solid 8 and early contender for my SGOTY.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review

I think the overall fun factor all comes down to how well you can handle the inherent flaws of the motionplus controls.

Those who can deal with the frequent missed shots will find a pretty sharp tennis game when looking past the obvious control problems, because the rest of the game (aside from the career mode) is really well-done.

Those who can't deal with the missed shots will probably just want to look for a better overall game that won't punish them for mistakes that are blatantly the control's fault.

Last edited by jyoung; 06-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16
This is a very fair and balanced review. I have been playing Grand Slam career mode on medium, with Motion + and the nunchuk, and I have experienced all of the frustrating things he mentions in the review. It is a shame, because the atmosphere of the game and its venues is really immersive. I am in my 5th season in the game, and my record is 10-50 - all of which are wins in doubles matches. Because of the control problems he mentions, my doubles matches are my only competitive matches. I can't even come close to winning a single player match, as I can't control my shots, and then you have numerous swings and misses, since the controller can't keep up with your movements.

I hate to admit this, but I am probably going to have to switch to playing the game on easy, just so that I can be competitive. Right now though, I can't even stay in a singles match (I usually lose 3-0, occasionally 3-1, and once in 5 seasons, I lost 3-2 to a 2 star player). I have a solid record in doubles though, simply because you don't have to move as much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Yep, I started out on medium difficulty and went 0-10 before I finally swallowed my pride and stepped down to easy.

Problem is, once I switched to easy, I never lost a match, improving my record to something like 50-10 before I finally lost interest in the career mode due to its repetitiveness.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7
For a first time out of the box, GST was tough to play. I initially played w/o the Nunchuk and had the computer move my dude. Big mistake - I was smoked so fast. Enter the Nunchuk, and I felt hat I had improved movement, and was able to attack balls and win a few volleys.

As I progressed in the quaint, rather "basic" career mode, I became better at the game itself, won a 1st round match (the game calls it a 3rd round match) at Wimbleton, and had Andy Murray down 4-3 on match point. He rallied and eventually beat me 7-5. Never would that happened on another tennis game.

Game play is a bit jagged, the WiiMotion Plus responds adequately at best. I've had to resort to making sure I'm ready to hit the ball. Otherwise, I'll make some wild hacks at the ball, and make no contact. The stadiums are a nice touch.

Overall, I'm glad I'm rented it. Its a good try for EA with the WiiMotion Plus. I'm not sold on this being SGOTY, since IMO Tiger 10 has that almost wrapped up. But I'd give this a solid 7 based on decent gameplay and easy to navigate menus. But how'd the heck do you hit serves hard? Riddle me that one?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Re: EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis Review

Serve strength is based entirely on timing.

After you motion "up" to toss the ball, you want to make the "down" motion of your swing start when the ball is at its peak height in the air.

Do it correctly and you'll notice an extra grunting noise comes out of your player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »