Home

NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NHL 2k10: Gamespot First Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see
Actually, I'm basing my comment on how this series has gone downhill since 2k3/2k5. Cinemotion, players' breath, etc., not to mention the game crippling bugs that have stayed in the series for years without getting fixed. The "short development cycle" excuse has been used over and over and over again with this series. At some point the series needs to be recognized for its own shortcomings.

I will download the demo and see how it goes....I bought 2k9 and just didn't care for it. That's fine that you feel 2k8 is a great game...for me, it was another disappointment. I loved the 2k series from 2k3-2k5, but as of recent years it has turned into a demo/rent first scenario for me personally.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
In my opinion, it is the most simulation hockey game ever made. With the right slider settings in human vs. human play, its easily the most realistic hockey game created yet. The depth of control (whether you were able to get accustomed to them or not) sets it apart. Especially on the defensive end, its bounds above anything done previously or since. The stick work in 2K8 is what really defines the realism. Your stick positioning actually matters in that game, both defensively and offensively.

For you to roll your eyes at that comment means your probably never played 2K8 with good simulation sliders, or if you did you didn't play it against like-minded simulation style opponents.
I don't play 2k's series online so I'm stuck with the boneheaded constantly out of postion, check happy, drive to the slot mentality asstastic AI. 2k8 offline is about as sim as The Bigs. I tried all the sliders, Venom's and the like and its impossible in 2k8 much like 2k9 to make the AI play positionally sound hockey.

If this is remedied for 2k10 then sure, I'll buy it day one and prolly love it just like I'm sure I'll love NHL10.

I completely agree with Flyer on this, 2k3 and 2k5 were something special. Since the move to next gen the game has taken 1 step forward 2 steps back every year since. Franchise freezes year in year out, control changes every year (2k10 looks to be no exception to that either)

But like I said, for me, if the AI is majorly improved, the sliders actually work and I can find a control method similar to EA's game I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is. No game is perfect, EA's game is far from it as well. Theres no reason what so ever there can't be two good hockey titles to play. 2k needs to drop the excuses (shortened dev cycle, lack of funds to market properly) stop letting the PR dept dictate the direction of the game's programing and man the frak up already.

Last edited by RealmK; 06-19-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm with Flyer on this one. The 2KHockey series has really gone downhill since 2K5. That's not to say that each of the last four installments haven't had their stengths, but overall each has been lacking overall. Mostly due to poor AI, but the presentation has also lacked big time.
2K8 was my favorite next gen 2KHockey game, but again the poor defensive AI, lack of penalties, and clunky controls, took away from it big time.
2K9, took away too many key elements that made 2K8 great. Plus the graphics just didn't do it for me.
I really hope 2K10 is the best next gen game for this series yet. I'll definately rent it and If I like it enough, buy it along with NHL10.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
The game will include support for multiplayer franchise mode and 2K Share will be implemented across all versions of the game.

One of the things I wanted to hear. Hopefully both hockey games have it this year.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see
Excellent post. The usual suspects do this every year. Bash and rehash the tired lines before the game comes out. I liked 2k8, but I would say 2k9 was the best hockey sim ever created. After how good 2k9 was I have the utmost faith in VC to take this game to another level. Thank god we have a choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Excellent post. The usual suspects do this every year. Bash and rehash the tired lines before the game comes out. I liked 2k8, but I would say 2k9 was the best hockey sim ever created. After how good 2k9 was I have the utmost faith in VC to take this game to another level. Thank god we have a choice.
So we can only post an opinion on 2k if it's a good one? Otherwise it's "bashing"? I've purchased every 2k hockey game since 2k2, including 2k9. I'm also glad we have a choice --- there's no doubt EA wouldn't have made positive strides with their game without 2k's influence. I just want to see 2k get back to what made this series great at its peak (2k3-2k5).

Not everyone is going to share your opinion...but that doesn't make it "bashing".
Old 06-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

Great ! Two hockey simulators this year sounds awsome ! thx 2k
Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

It is hard to take some guys serious when you are on EA's nuts so much. I think that is what it all comes down too. Any time any one says they think this game is better, here comes the EA's nutters. Even if this is not the truth it just looks like that. So I think that is why some people have a hard time. And you nutters know who you are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »