Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Review

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Review within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Hey Soxfan,
Never write something that long again, No one reads it... after I read is there a noticeable difference I stopped reading and now I notice you put a stupid smile face in your post don't do that either you Gaf,
k thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanvict
Hey Soxfan,
Never write something that long again, No one reads it... after I read is there a noticeable difference I stopped reading and now I notice you put a stupid smile face in your post don't do that either you Gaf,
k thanks
lol...thanks for the tip.

I'll be okay though. Managed to function without your wisdom and guidance for oh, so very long.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...thanks for the tip.

I'll be okay though. Managed to function without your wisdom and guidance for oh, so very long.
LOL. I read it. I didn't agree with it, but I read it. Plus I've been around OS for longer than 3 posts, so my comments and opinions actually count for something.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
LOL. I read it. I didn't agree with it, but I read it. Plus I've been around OS for longer than 3 posts, so my comments and opinions actually count for something.
lol...yeah, I thought about condensing it to a simple "EA sucks, release the hounds!" comment, but I thought that would be a tad immature and contrary to the point of a review thread.

I'm curious as to your take on it baa. I'm assuming you played it on the 360, correct? What makes you feel it's worth it? What do you disagree with me on?

As I said, I was thinking about renting it for the 360 (if they ever get their copy back) to see if there was a difference. It just felt too disjointed at times when I played it and not improved enough. Maybe it's an issue of "better with time"...needing to experience the AI and extended play to appreciate it. I dunno.

It can be as long or short as you want...I'll read it...lol.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious as to your take on it baa. I'm assuming you played it on the 360, correct? What makes you feel it's worth it? What do you disagree with me on?
Give me a few minutes to actually read it (just kidding) and I'll respond... and I'll add a ton of smiley faces to my post, just to bug the noobs, like this:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
Banned

The gameplay is what I expected (mixed bag, IMO) from a TW game, but the presentation seemed wonky.
Hmm, maybe I agree with this after all! I feel the gameplay is pretty good considering it's a console golf game, but it is a mixed bag, yeah. It's simplified and not very deep -- that would be my biggest criticism. But the club tuner and the ability to customize the difficulty is a huge feature. And shot distances, and wind and slope affects, are all very well done. As for the presentation, it's pretty terrible, yes. I shut the announcers off after two holes.

They seemed to have gone for a more "broadcast" view of your ball flight where you can't see where the ball is relative to the course.
I switched to the ball cam after a couple of rounds, which IMO is 200% better. I guess I don't see this as an issue.

I honestly don't get the big deal about the putting. It feels like the same exact mechanic.
Of course it's the same mechanic: push the stick to simulate swinging the putter. What's the alternative? Precision putting without the meter is many times more difficult than Classic, botomline. My one complaint is they restricted the swing and made it somewhat distance-relative to the cup -- the further away the cup, the further a 100% putting stroke will travel. But there's still enough play to offer a substantial challenge.

Also, I'm disappointed that the gameface feature has seemed to dumb down since 07.
Yeah, I agree with that. This is the first gameface tool where I can't get my cheeks to look right (too puffy, if you really need to know the details).

Also, the fluctuating course count is getting old. Just keep ADDING courses. On top of that, there should be no circumstance where it's acceptable to charge for courses that were EVEr in any version of the game.
C'mon, this is an EA game: add a feature, remove two others. You know their marketing strategy. In other words, you're correct. ( Noobie, noobie, noob )

I never played against AI opponents, so I have no clue of any improvement there
Uh, they're Terminator tough. Inhuman. Unnatural. Which is good if you shoot -10, and bad if you're like me and can't break par. So...

where the AI would scale to your play (meaning an opening round 60 meant the whole field would shoot thereabouts the rest of the tourney)
Seems there are some Career Mode scoring issues, yup. I see what you saying with the game and, yeah, it's not PGA 2000 or Links. It's Tiger Woods golf. My own initial impressions weren't good. But once I flipped my perspective and focused on the stuff the game does well, I started to enjoy it. But it's not a sim sports title for sure, so I can understand why you'd pass.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Good comments Baa. (smiley count: 1)

I think we're on the same page, overall. My putter comments weren't made with any expectations of something more. I just keep seeing it hyped as though it's a breakthrough innovation. It's not really, IMO...just a more streamlined approach to the same end. I suppose it's a moot point on TOUR difficulty though.

If I rent the 360 version, I'll have to switch to the ball cam. As I said before, it's no big deal, but the broadcast view is so disjointed and "hitchy" that it's more of a distraction than it should be.

I agree about the club tuner, but wasn't that in '09? Not down on the feature at all (I'm with you...huge plus) guess I just didn't consider it when looking at TW 10's additions. (smiley count: 2)

Anyway, I pretty much agree with your points. Maybe I should "dumb down" my expectations...lol. (Smiley count: 3)

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 06-24-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Firefox is being goofy...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I should "dumb down" my expectations...lol (Smiley count: 3)
Truthfully, that's what it comes down to. Something I didn't mention: Career mode is a serious disappointment. Almost zero setup options, no qualifying, no having to use your earnings to pay for travel and entrance fees; and the Majors are played on the exact same courses, year in and year out. Really, what would it have taken to switch up courses for the Majors? That's horribly lazy programming.

Plus there's no way to check other PGA pros' season/career stats. It's like you're playing your career alone in a vacuum. If someone is buying the game strictly for Career mode, I would actually recommend they don't bother.

Last edited by baa7; 06-25-2009 at 01:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »