Home

NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos

3 GREAT videos there. I'm loving this game more and more and it's quickly becoming my most anticipated game ever. I preordered it today and I couldn't be happier.

But to go along with the videos here, the subtle things like (in the 3rd video, at the beginning) the D-man shifting his weight and skating from right to left just before he takes the shot just looks absolutely incredible. Maybe it isn't new, I'm not sure, but just the little things like skating, look ridiculously real in this game.

Color me impressed. Much appreciated EA.

(EDIT- it's not at the beginning of the 3rd video, it's actually at the end. The guy I'm talking about is the one that takes the shot from the point.)

Last edited by blinkfan77; 07-09-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 8

Looking good. The 2 things I really liked were the goalie animations which looked a lot better and realistic and also the way the defense played forcing the dump. Gotta love that one
Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

def liked a lot of things about that video... defense standing up at the blue line, that board pass, guys cycling in the offensive zone more. One of my favorite things to see was guys actually flipping the pucks around the boards in the defensive end to try and cycle it out when the puck gets knocked into the corner (I hope thats not just a result of the easy level, and on harder levels it'll be just like in past games where they can turn around and just carry it out of the zone, because its something that happens in the NHL all the time) ...

I will point out a couple things that I didnt particularly like though too

in a couple of those vids, the goalie still looks like he's moving/reacting too fast compared to the rest of the guys out there... I love rebound goals, but did we see a single goal that wasnt a rebound? Just look at part 1, the 3rd clip where the guy shoots from his knees... the goalie flies across the crease at an incredibly unrealistic speed

my other big issues w/ the goalie is that sure there may be more animations/imroved animations, but they still don't seem human... the "splits" save animation looks greatly greatly greatly improved compared to last year... the goalie looks like he's actually still alive when he does it and reacts to the puck, rather than frozen in time sliding across the crease... however it seems like that new splits is going to be the norm when the goalie should have more animations available

just look at the game winning goal in clip 3... why the hell is luongo doing the splits on that? If I let the puck trickle between my legs and a guy picks up the puck w/ an open goal in front of him, i'm sure as hell not sliding over to him... i'm going into "desperation" mode and doing everything in my power to stop him... diving, throwing my stick out to try and knock it away, flailing my arms... you look at any NHL goalie, he would have been on his back at the end of that play trying to stop it

I dont want the goalies to be robots who can react to anything and the only way to beat them is with a rebound... I want them to do everything in their power to save a puck though, which may cause them to be off their line on a nice pass and give the offense a chance to find a hole... and I just don't see that yet
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

I am wondering a couple things.

A) will a player fall over when he runs into an opponent laying on the ice or will he be able to jump / step over the body

B) can you bump goalies without tumbling down

bill2451:I agree, they need to have a "panic" mode for goalies. when they think the puck is behind them or trickling, they should begin to flop around etc. in desperation!

Last edited by akula; 07-09-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 12

Before seeing these videos I was questioning whether it was worth forking out the money when I already have NHL09, but the new goalie animations, puck physics and ai are looking great.

I can't wait to play this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Awesome videos.

Goalies, puck physics, and teammate AI were the major issues in '09, and all three seem to have taken huge strides for '10.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #23
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Awesome videos.

Goalies, puck physics, and teammate AI were the major issues in '09, and all three seem to have taken huge strides for '10.

They healed the three issues I had with 09...and phostle whistle scrums against Holmstrom...Oh god........excuse me guysss...

Ok...note to self...new underwear.

Sorry. As you were.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
def liked a lot of things about that video... defense standing up at the blue line, that board pass, guys cycling in the offensive zone more. One of my favorite things to see was guys actually flipping the pucks around the boards in the defensive end to try and cycle it out when the puck gets knocked into the corner (I hope thats not just a result of the easy level, and on harder levels it'll be just like in past games where they can turn around and just carry it out of the zone, because its something that happens in the NHL all the time) ...

I will point out a couple things that I didnt particularly like though too

in a couple of those vids, the goalie still looks like he's moving/reacting too fast compared to the rest of the guys out there... I love rebound goals, but did we see a single goal that wasnt a rebound? Just look at part 1, the 3rd clip where the guy shoots from his knees... the goalie flies across the crease at an incredibly unrealistic speed

my other big issues w/ the goalie is that sure there may be more animations/imroved animations, but they still don't seem human... the "splits" save animation looks greatly greatly greatly improved compared to last year... the goalie looks like he's actually still alive when he does it and reacts to the puck, rather than frozen in time sliding across the crease... however it seems like that new splits is going to be the norm when the goalie should have more animations available

just look at the game winning goal in clip 3... why the hell is luongo doing the splits on that? If I let the puck trickle between my legs and a guy picks up the puck w/ an open goal in front of him, i'm sure as hell not sliding over to him... i'm going into "desperation" mode and doing everything in my power to stop him... diving, throwing my stick out to try and knock it away, flailing my arms... you look at any NHL goalie, he would have been on his back at the end of that play trying to stop it

I dont want the goalies to be robots who can react to anything and the only way to beat them is with a rebound... I want them to do everything in their power to save a puck though, which may cause them to be off their line on a nice pass and give the offense a chance to find a hole... and I just don't see that yet
While I hear what you're saying and agree, as far as improvements from one year to the next I think we should give them a ton of credit. Every area of the game us hardcore guys had issues with looks to either be totally adressed and if not at least improved substantially. I was excited about the game before watching these gameplay vids, now I'm absolutely frantic to get my hands on this years game.

The AI improvements, passing, and puck physics alone have me pumped. Defensive AI especially, that the CPU will now clog the neutral zone and try and force a dump and chase at the blue line in addition to the puck being alot more loose and you having the chance to actually get down in the corners and retrieve it, and if not successful be able to pin someone up against the boards really makes the game that more realistic, gritty and less end to end. That alone to me is huge being more of an offline guy. Are the goalies perfect? no, but the're a far step up from 09, with all the other additions to the game this year I think I can deal with that and not be all that upset.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »