Home

Fedor Emelianenko Headlines EA Sports MMA Roster (Press Release)

This is a discussion on Fedor Emelianenko Headlines EA Sports MMA Roster (Press Release) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Fedor Emelianenko Headlines EA Sports MMA Roster (Press Release)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
right, because UFC was perfect with all the robotic striking & movement, lack of fighter styles, boring career mode, and inability to even allow a fighter to fight southpaw.
The striking in the UFC is better than any other game I've played including FN. ...he said it's a good game and you're ripping into him like he said it was perfect.

I think the gameplay is great in undisputed and the best thing is, they can build on it and add things and tweak things and make the feature set more robust.

the only EA games I enjoy are actually outside the sports genre.
FN4's gameplay is such a let down - so I can't say I'm optimistic about them getting mma down. If they do, great, but I doubt it - I remember played undisputed's 2 man demo more than any other EVER. It has to 'wow' right out of the gate to peak my interest.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
The striking in the UFC is better than any other game I've played including FN.
I love Undisputed but I greatly disagree with this statement.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I love Undisputed but I greatly disagree with this statement.
I've got to agree with allbthere. Fight Night can definitely be fun but there's far too many times where I'm trying to throw one punch and I throw something else. I also don't like that someone can throw 100 haymakers in 6 rounds and not be exhausted.

"A man is called selfish, not for pursuing his own good, but for neglecting his neighbor's."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop_Brady
I've got to agree with allbthere. Fight Night can definitely be fun but there's far too many times where I'm trying to throw one punch and I throw something else. I also don't like that someone can throw 100 haymakers in 6 rounds and not be exhausted.
I'll agree that some of the stamina issues in Fight Night can be kind of lame at times, but I'm strictly talking about the striking mechanics. I really don't see how you guys could say it's better in UFC than Fight Night. You can't use any head movement to create angles, you either block or back up out of range. For a first effort they did a good job, and I realize kicks add another element, but the striking seems very primitive in Undisputed. There's also the issue of getting frozen in place when being punched. That happens far too often.

As far as throwing the wrong punch goes, that's more on the user than the game. A patch will be coming soon for those who can't seem to pull off what they want on the sticks.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
The striking in the UFC is better than any other game I've played including FN. ...he said it's a good game and you're ripping into him like he said it was perfect.

I think the gameplay is great in undisputed and the best thing is, they can build on it and add things and tweak things and make the feature set more robust.

the only EA games I enjoy are actually outside the sports genre.
FN4's gameplay is such a let down - so I can't say I'm optimistic about them getting mma down. If they do, great, but I doubt it - I remember played undisputed's 2 man demo more than any other EVER. It has to 'wow' right out of the gate to peak my interest.
if you think the striking in this game is better than FN then you're honestly crazy. FN is leaps and bounds better visually and mechanically. As far as "ripping into him" goes, how is saying "the game's only flaw is online quitters" not saying it's perfect?
Don't get me wrong, I like this game, but it has tons more flaws than just online quitters. I'm looking forward to seeing what EA brings to the table, and what THQ brings to compete.
I just don't understand why people talk all this **** on EA for trying to make an MMA game when it's proven that competition helps create a better product. People should be glad that a challenger has appeared.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I'll agree that some of the stamina issues in Fight Night can be kind of lame at times, but I'm strictly talking about the striking mechanics. I really don't see how you guys could say it's better in UFC than Fight Night. You can't use any head movement to create angles, you either block or back up out of range. For a first effort they did a good job, and I realize kicks add another element, but the striking seems very primitive in Undisputed. There's also the issue of getting frozen in place when being punched. That happens far too often.

As far as throwing the wrong punch goes, that's more on the user than the game. A patch will be coming soon for those who can't seem to pull off what they want on the sticks.
Well, I would hope when you make a game that only consists of striking with your fists that you have deeper striking than a game that has to take into account striking with feet and the ground game. There's no doubt you have more control of your body in FNR4 but to me it's completely flawed if the fighter stamina is completely screwed up. Throw in counter punches that do too much damage and things get a little more flawed. If EA would balance those issues out then I would see FNR4 as the better of the two concerning striking.

Also, I'm proficient enough with the right analog stick where I know what I'm doing in FNR4. I'd be the first to admit if I sucked. The bottom line is I've done the motion for a hook and thrown an uppercut or the motion for an uppercut and thrown a hook. I initially thought I was crappy at the game but I started a 2-player game by myself and tested things out. That's when I realized the game is wonky with detecting right analog stick movements. If your copy lets you throw every single punch you made the motion for 100% of the times then I'd like your copy of the game.

I admit I'm very curious what EA does with this game. Will they take the striking of FNR4 and try to incorporate the ground game? Will they make something from scratch? Is there even a target release date yet?

"A man is called selfish, not for pursuing his own good, but for neglecting his neighbor's."
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
if you think the striking in this game is better than FN then you're honestly crazy. FN is leaps and bounds better visually and mechanically. .
We can break it down if you want - I can't believe actually how good the reviews are for fn4 when the gameplay imo is not very good.

The actual hitting in UFC IS better (I honestly don't see how anyone can honestly disagree w/ this) I'm talking the guy throwing the strike looks like he's doing it with authority and the guy being hit, looks like he's taking a big shot that could put him away.
In FN4 - this doesn't happen - outside of the counter window mini-game which imo is a terrible game mechanic. Most of the punches are pitter patter and sluggish
To me this makes beating on someone more SATISFYING in UFC.

Animation is party the same thing, but I just want to point out that the jab animation in UFC is superior to FN, as is the cross and hooks to an extent. Punches are crisp and hips are rotated properly. IN FN4 many of the punch animations are very awkward

Knockdowns and KO's are implemented much more realistically in UFC. The counters are actual counters. You hit someone as they are trying to hit you BOOM! in FN4 you dodge/block see your 'window' and hit after the fact - that is crap. It actually makes the game resemble nothing of boxing - it would have been better if they just removed it and shipped it completely without it. In UFC counters occur naturally, not in some minigame.

Ring Movement - FN4 has dodging, blocking and bobbing/weaving. Of these, the dodging and blocking are done well. the bobbing/weaving is slightly iffy. What I've suggested for the UFC game is that fighters with high enough strike defense should dodge when pressing the block button for brief stretches automatically. This utilizes a fighters stats more and is in line w/ the rest of the game where strikes are context-dependent and so a kick becomes a knee etc..UFC should extend that to dodging. So FN4 has more in this area, but to be honest it doesn't make up for the other areas.

Camera - even though UFC has no options it's still better than FN4's - the game feels so much more 3 dimentional, and in most of my fights the entire octagon is used.

Undisputed captures the sport much better imo. I'm playing it way more, enjoying it way more. FN4 by all the major media outlets that deal w/ gaming have severely overrated the game. I remember playing the demo and not being enticed to play more than a few bouts vs UFC that was like a crack addiciton.
The gameplay and fun factor in UFC is hands down superior.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

OVR: 15

Be interesting if Fedor signs with UFC. Would that mean EA would have to scratch him from the game, or can he opt out of the whole games thing like Randy Coutore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »