Home

NHL 2K10 Gameplay Videos (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10 Gameplay Videos (IGN) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: IGN gameplay videos

Very interesting. Arenas are mindblowing as always. Presentation has improved but I still don't see any replays during stoppages (not that there even were stoppages in those videos). Sound effects and crowd responses are a lot better than 2K9. Commentary sounds better than last year's game but there's still some lines from years past ("you can spread those goals out over a few games!"). Celebrations seem improved but not perfect. Why couldn't Stamkos hug both of his teammates instead of leaving one teammate skating around pumping his fists?

The Intermission Report now features highlights during John's analysis (an idea I presented in the "Developers Are Listening" thread to give the game an NFL 2K5-like approach). HOW John analyzes, though, is another story since the video capturer skipped over the report.

Nice two-man celebration after Thornton's goal but Joe just seems to skate it off and doesn't respond to the teammate draped over his back. It seems similar to the random two-man celebrations that trigger after touchdowns in NCAA 09 and 10 for some reason.

Wings Arena Intro - amazing. If that doesn't get you pumped for a game, I don't know what will. Amazing lighting effects there, one of the true graphical high points of the game.

Player faces are head and shoulders above 2K9's but I'm not quite sure if they'll be as impressive as 2K8's were. The best thing is, though, that they look a lot more like human beings and not like something you'll see on Celebrity Deathmatch.

Finally, is it just me or are the slapshot animations a bit too over the top? It seems like they're swinging the sticks with reckless abandon. May be a nitpick, though.

I'm pretty excited to see more from this game as many of my questions have not been answered. But it's easy to see how much improvement has been made. How substantial those improvements are, though, are going to be measured by how much info comes out in the next few weeks.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 47

I agree with everything you said Carry.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

The game has some positives, but EA has got em whipped, IMO.

Especially when it comes to the atmosphere of an NHL building after the home team has scored a goal.

Listen to the crowds in 2k9 vs the crowd in EA's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NbmXlYgxA

EA's is way better.

Last edited by onlybygrace; 08-10-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
The game has some positives, but EA has got em whipped, IMO.
I don't disagree with you but it's NOT that way on the presentation front. Honestly, I'm tired of EA's bland presentation, it's the same as it was in 08 and it gives me the feeling that every game is exactly the same as the one before it. 2K offers something a lot better in that department and until NHL 11's rumored presentation overhaul happens, it's the best we're going to get.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
Banned

I think 2k have them beat in that area in my opinion. It is louder and more of a celebration. That is the one thing I keep waiting for EA to fix. Their presentation and faceoffs.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
I don't disagree with you but it's NOT that way on the presentation front. Honestly, I'm tired of EA's bland presentation, it's the same as it was in 08 and it gives me the feeling that every game is exactly the same as the one before it. 2K offers something a lot better in that department and until NHL 11's rumored presentation overhaul happens, it's the best we're going to get.
Totally agree. Both games are going to be solid this year.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 20

I personally think those videos look a lot better than 2k9 and the graphics including the player models are vastly improved. They really put 2k9 to shame. Some of those player faces are pretty dead some others aren't. The arenas look flat out gorgeous. The presentation looks pretty good and that intro for the Red Wings was pretty amazing.

Game play wise it looks like movement and the animations are very solid. Obviously the defense was lacking and too many shots were going in, but keep in mind that was on an easy difficulty with no sliders adjusted. The gameplay when played on a harder difficulty with sliders adjustments looks like it has a chance to play a pretty good game of hockey.

Also I was somebody who thought NHL 09 wasn't as good as people made it out to be especially from a sim perspective. To be perfectly honest I thought neither game last year was that close to representing the sport. It does look like NHL 10 made alot improvements towards being more sim but NHL 2K10 looks like it will be improved alot as well. I may have to buy both as they both look like they have the potential to be pretty good.

Also can we at least wait until the games are out and we played them both before we say one is whippin the other.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

I really hope that was on rookie mode. Because I saw alot of one-timers that were a goals and quick rebounds that looked like it was a slapshot from the defense. Presentation looks great... I need to see alot more because the gameplay didn't impress me. No cycling of the pucks, people taking the pucks down ice without really getting challenged, and the faceoffs to me looked wrong. Faceoffs after puck was dropped had a couple second delay before someone touched the puck.... Announcing was fine to me. I love the arena sounds and that Wings Intro was just amazing...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »