Home

Madden NFL 10 Review

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 30
Steve - I concur. I have yet to start a franchise (been playing a lot at Gamestops til I get my copy, tomorrow, at a mom/pop spot) and I don't really care for the online stuff. I originally gave the game a B+ which is about an 8.8 or whatever and the issues u brought up about the gameplay, good and bad, are spot on but I will have to agree with backbreaker on the defensive covers knowing your route before u even run it by being a half step ahead of u on a break in your route. That's ridiculous but I can live with it because I have so much success on offense.
Like I have been saying, YES, the game is flawed AND NO GAME IS PERFECT but the overalls of positives far outway those "minor" flaws. If EA can find a way to "stretch" this engine or replace it, all together, fixing the blocking issues (can they pay attention to the punt return blocking, too???), overly repetitive animations (need more variety and randomness), more appropriate animations (those superhuman animated responses to offensive players by the defense, sometimes, are crazy, still) and cutscenes (cutscenes seem limited to me, still, especially for this gen, and some are out of place), EA can really have an A game, easily...or is it so easy to do?

Great job, otherwise. It's headed in the right direction. Just hope that next year they DON'T find some new feature non-sense, that's really not needed, to put in the game. Tired of that ish. They just need to work on what's there to perfect it. Peas...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 17
Good review. Seems like Madden is finally going in the right direction.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 9
I can't wait for the game to come out for PS3.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
My initial impression was a c+, and after several days its still a c+. Its a good game but somethings just need to be ironed out i.e. DB's and LB's in man to man coverage turn their back on the receiver and run the route with him even cutting a fraction before the receiver. Instead of back pedalling and opening his hips. This was in 09 as well, run blocking is still not up to snuff. Pro Tak needs a lot of work, once you in a struggle tackle the end user can get in on the action. RB's, oft times don't get covered out of the backfield. Their is no way to shade in or out with CB's making crossing routes almost defenseless. WR's still are not aware of the side line or make an attempt to come down inbounds unless they jump 3 yards away from the side line. DB's still have that I'm going to intercept/Swat the ball and if I fail on those attempts, I will not fail in making the tackle all done in the air.

I don't like that a lineman can be in a block on the interior trenches a DT or DE and you run a sweep or toss, not strech(sp) and you used the Sprint button and you're 5 yards away from the guy he can hunt you down most times because you're using the sprint button. OLineman on those plays even when you ask them to be aggresive or block in that direction still don't know how to seal(think Vince Lombardi sweep a seal here and a seal there) and of course the matador I'm going to the 2nd and 3rd level to search for some one to block.

The challenge system, or the lack their of, need I say more.

Hurry up offense, is broken. It is idiotic for Tiburon to just negate your hurry up offense simply because you had an incomplete pass.

QB's not willing to take a sack in hopes of throwing the lame duck or throwing into triple coverage for the interception.

The select to get to the nearest player is broken sometimes it will select a player nowhere in the vicinity of the guy you are trying to get to.

This is why the game gets a C+ it is an above average game, but an enjoyable game.

It does some things well, one on one tackling for a direct hit is awesome, lead passing is great and some other stuff.
There's more you didn't mention but I agree. A 9 is too high but this is OS. That's all that needs to be said.

I stopped reading the review at "Pro Tak is amazing". BS. Pro Tak adds some nice things but its shallow as hell and it needs a lot of work. The game is good enough when compared to other Maddens but the game could still be so much better.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 31

Looks good. No mention of playbooks and there ineptitude. But good read. I like that you made apoint that the more you play the more you enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
MVP

ASB37's Arena

OVR: 32

I would say this is a pretty accurate review. There are definite areas of improvment (presentation). Madden has really come a long way in a year. In 09 I didn't even make it through one season of franchise, instead choosing to get my football fix through NFL head coach. However this year, after getting the game on friday and playing it for 3 days I am already done with one season and moving on to the next one.

"You play to win the game."
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 49
Review score a little high, but the final build game is pretty solid. I give it a solid 8, and is by far the best madden to date. I am still on the fence on buying it new or wait till its a good used price.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #24
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26
This game is good, but I would give it an 8.5. Some animations look good, but the running animations need a lot of improvement. Pro-tak is ok, but also needs some tweaking. Overall fun game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »