Home

NBA Live 10 Blog: Dribble Moves

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Blog: Dribble Moves within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
NBA Live 10 Blog: Dribble Moves

Lead Gameplay Designer, Mike Wang, has just posted another NBA Live 10 blog. This one featuring dribble moves.

Quote:
"Today we’re going to talk a bit about the Dribble Moves in NBA Live 10. As you saw in Jeff’s blog, we spent a lot of time working on the ball handler’s movement this year. So as you move around the court and make hard changes of direction, your player will pull off contextual crossovers and planted turns based on which hand he’s dribbling with and where he’s trying to go. But everyone loves to pull off ankle breaking crossovers and spin moves so we had to beef up what was formerly known as “Quickstrike Ballhandling.”

So let’s start by talking about size up moves. Whenever we’re in mocap and we ask the talent to go 1-on-1, the first thing these guys always do is pull off a series of stationary dribble moves before starting their drive. These moves, or size ups as we call them, are the first step in creating space for yourself as a dribbler and getting your defender off balance."
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Mike Wangs Blog!

the videos won't play. can i have a link for the video on another website.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Awesome videos!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

???
Old 08-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
???
what are the ???'s for?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 10

14-August-2009
Today we’re going to talk a bit about the Dribble Moves in NBA Live 10. As you saw in Jeff’s blog, we spent a lot of time working on the ball handler’s movement this year. So as you move around the court and make hard changes of direction, your player will pull off contextual crossovers and planted turns based on which hand he’s dribbling with and where he’s trying to go. But everyone loves to pull off ankle breaking crossovers and spin moves so we had to beef up what was formerly known as “Quickstrike Ballhandling.”
So let’s start by talking about size up moves. Whenever we’re in mocap and we ask the talent to go 1-on-1, the first thing these guys always do is pull off a series of stationary dribble moves before starting their drive. These moves, or size ups as we call them, are the first step in creating space for yourself as a dribbler and getting your defender off balance.

In NBA Live 10, by simply holding down a button, your player will start to pull off these moves. Think of it as a way to “charge up” your player. The longer you do it, the better your chance of beating your guy off the dribble when you begin your drive. However, your chance of getting ripped increases exponentially if you sit there and play with the ball too long. The cool thing about size ups is that you can mix and match them together or chain them into the various other new moves at your disposal to create some sick looking sequences.

Also, certain guys have signature size ups so you can re-create Iverson’s hesitation double cross or Steve Nash’s between the legs, rock back and forth dribble. It’s also important to create space when you’re sizing up your defender. Live 10 allows you to trigger escape dribble pullouts so you can recreate those Derrick Rose moments where he resets and pulls the ball out from the 3PT line to center court to get a head of steam before attacking off the bounce.

Here’s a quick look at what dribbling looked like in Live 09 vs. some of the new animations in Live 10:

The other big thing I wanted to talk about is balancing the perimeter game. Seems like every year in NBA Live the ball handler is at a huge advantage over his defensive counterpart. And every game quickly degenerates into a game of “I score, you score” with overpowering dribble moves being the culprit of the defensive meltdown. We spent a lot of time this year trying to break that cycle with Live 10.

So this year, as a defender, it’s all about having quick feet and quick hands. Live 10 does a much better job at both allowing you to play positional defense, as well as rewarding you for staying between your check and the hoop.

The improved locomotion system also plays a huge role in this as great onball defenders will be able to plant and accelerate much faster than a lumbering stiff. So knowing your personnel and when to crowd vs. gap your check is crucial to being successful on defense. But if you do move your feet well, you can bump the dribbler, ride him toward the sideline, force a collision that causes him to lose the ball, or even draw a charge Derek Fisher-style. Also, if you time a steal attempt at the right moment (ie. quick hands), you can pop the ball out as you come into contact with the dribbler. All of these tools serve to make the 1-on-1 battle a lot more engaging and really provide a lot more depth to the perimeter game.

Well, that’s the main stuff I wanted to touch on today. Stay tuned over the next several weeks as we’ll be talking more and more about some of the great gameplay additions and enhancements that are coming your way this fall.

Later,
Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

14-August-2009

Today we’re going to talk a bit about the Dribble Moves in NBA Live 10. As you saw in Jeff’s blog, we spent a lot of time working on the ball handler’s movement this year. So as you move around the court and make hard changes of direction, your player will pull off contextual crossovers and planted turns based on which hand he’s dribbling with and where he’s trying to go. But everyone loves to pull off ankle breaking crossovers and spin moves so we had to beef up what was formerly known as “Quickstrike Ballhandling.”

So let’s start by talking about size up moves. Whenever we’re in mocap and we ask the talent to go 1-on-1, the first thing these guys always do is pull off a series of stationary dribble moves before starting their drive. These moves, or size ups as we call them, are the first step in creating space for yourself as a dribbler and getting your defender off balance.

In NBA Live 10, by simply holding down a button, your player will start to pull off these moves. Think of it as a way to “charge up” your player. The longer you do it, the better your chance of beating your guy off the dribble when you begin your drive. However, your chance of getting ripped increases exponentially if you sit there and play with the ball too long. The cool thing about size ups is that you can mix and match them together or chain them into the various other new moves at your disposal to create some sick looking sequences.

Also, certain guys have signature size ups so you can re-create Iverson’s hesitation double cross or Steve Nash’s between the legs, rock back and forth dribble. It’s also important to create space when you’re sizing up your defender. Live 10 allows you to trigger escape dribble pullouts so you can recreate those Derrick Rose moments where he resets and pulls the ball out from the 3PT line to center court to get a head of steam before attacking off the bounce.

Here’s a quick look at what dribbling looked like in Live 09 vs. some of the new animations in Live 10:

The other big thing I wanted to talk about is balancing the perimeter game. Seems like every year in NBA Live the ball handler is at a huge advantage over his defensive counterpart. And every game quickly degenerates into a game of “I score, you score” with overpowering dribble moves being the culprit of the defensive meltdown. We spent a lot of time this year trying to break that cycle with Live 10.

So this year, as a defender, it’s all about having quick feet and quick hands. Live 10 does a much better job at both allowing you to play positional defense, as well as rewarding you for staying between your check and the hoop.

The improved locomotion system also plays a huge role in this as great onball defenders will be able to plant and accelerate much faster than a lumbering stiff. So knowing your personnel and when to crowd vs. gap your check is crucial to being successful on defense. But if you do move your feet well, you can bump the dribbler, ride him toward the sideline, force a collision that causes him to lose the ball, or even draw a charge Derek Fisher-style. Also, if you time a steal attempt at the right moment (ie. quick hands), you can pop the ball out as you come into contact with the dribbler. All of these tools serve to make the 1-on-1 battle a lot more engaging and really provide a lot more depth to the perimeter game.

Well, that’s the main stuff I wanted to touch on today. Stay tuned over the next several weeks as we’ll be talking more and more about some of the great gameplay additions and enhancements that are coming your way this fall.

Later,
Mike

I got your back, GSW.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

I hope that was an extremely early build. That looks like Live 09.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »