Home

NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not

This is a discussion on NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not

NHL 10, the latest edition of EA's rejuvenated NHL series, is set to hit stores on September 15. Both NHL 08 and NHL 09 received a healthy dose of critical acclaim from gamers and reviewers alike, so, needless to say, expectations will be high for this version. So without further delay, here's a look at what's hot and what's not in NHL 10.

Read More - NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10
Lots of good stuff here. I think worrying about flashy plays is a little unnecessary after the demo though. I've played dozens and dozens and dozens of periods in the demo, and I've only seen three stumble shots, none of which were converted, and only one "bat in" goal, with most of the attempts missing or going wide. It seems the frequency of these flashy goals is pretty solid this year, but I suppose it never hurts to be cautious.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Same here as Luger...I scored on the only stumble shot I've seen...it was awesome and just a couple bat in attempts, both by Crosby--both failed.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
I've seen only 1 goal batted in and zero stumble shots and I've probably played well over 20 demo periods. I also find first person fighting a massive upgrade over last years fighting engine. It feels a little more realistic than the 1-2 punch knockout.

Last edited by Ovie; 08-25-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4
Double post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not

Quote:
The concern is that whenever a new gameplay element like this is introduced to a series there's a tendency in the first year for the element to occur far too frequently or simply be too effective. A player scoring from his knees is a relatively rare occurrence in real life, so hopefully it won't be something that happens every other game in NHL 10.
Scoring with a batted puck and after getting tripped to your knees are rare. They are meant to allow for spectacular plays to happen once in a blue moon, not to be an everyday occurrence. I've scored one goal with an on knees deke and never scored with a bat in (hit a post once) -- that's in hundreds of games played.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 10: What's Hot and What's Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
Scoring with a batted puck and after getting tripped to your knees are rare. They are meant to allow for spectacular plays to happen once in a blue moon, not to be an everyday occurrence. I've scored one goal with an on knees deke and never scored with a bat in (hit a post once) -- that's in hundreds of games played.
The goal I scored on my knees was quite exhilerating...

Funny thing is I forget which player I did it with.

But anyways I had a breakaway and the Detroit defensemen dove in attempt at disrupting me from scoring, tripped my player to his knees about 15 feet in front of Osgood sending me sliding past the left post... a couple dekes and outwaited Osgood, and top shelf as I approached the goal line on the left side of the net.

'Twas Sweetness.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
My only complaint with the demo is that I'm a big-time Detroit Red Wings fan, and every time I lose at the demo (starting with a 2-0 deficit, mind you), I get to see Pittsburgh hoist the Cup AGAIN. Thanks EA. Haha

I liked the demo. I thought most of the change were actually pretty subtle, and the flow from one animation to the next is much smoother, as it was from NHL 08 to NHL 09.

I really think the longevity of this game might depend on the stuff we can't see in the demo...namely the new Be a GM mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »