Home

NHL Developer Insights: NHL 2K10 Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on NHL Developer Insights: NHL 2K10 Franchise Mode within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL Developer Insights: NHL 2K10 Franchise Mode

2K Sports has just posted another NHL Developer Insight, this one featuring NHL 2K10 Franchise mode.

Quote:
"The first thing to talk about, which I’m sure everyone has heard about at this point, is the new ability to play Franchise Mode games online this year. I know I’ve always found Franchise Modes in hockey games can turn into a grind if you’re stringent about playing every game. 82 games make for a long season, and most of the time you’ll probably have the CPU AI figured out before the end of it, making for a somewhat anti-climactic playoff. This year I’m really excited to see how people are going to take advantage of this feature, whether it be teaming up with a friend to play an entire Franchise cooperatively, or selectively picking new online opponents for every opposing team in Franchise.

Another online item we’re excited about is Franchise Blogging. This was initially meant as a shout out to all the guys that dedicate so much time to writing fantastic Franchise stories on the forums. I remember in the past having to write down my stats from online league games on paper and type them into my computer until NHL 2K5 started automating the process. Well now we’re going to help the guys out that play Franchise Mode, and we’re hoping this is the first step into a larger world for Franchise Mode. We’re also hoping it will be a nice addition for those using the above mentioned online Franchise game ability, helping your friends connect with what is actually going on in your Franchise and giving them a bit of context to games they are playing with or against you."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL Developer Insights: NHL 2K10 Franchise Mode

Thanks.. some good things in there. I really like the overall look of the interface this year.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Damn, 2K is pretty tempting this year.

I like the sounds of the team budget thing they have this year where if your a small market team it is alot more difficult to pay for the high priced free agents and things like that.

2K's Franchise Mode still isn't where I'd like it to be though because I think the draft is still the same, negotiations are the same and we don't know for sure yet if some of the problems from 2K9's Franchise will carry over.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

-Love the "league history" feature...something I was looking forward to seeing in NBA 2K10 and it's good to hear that we have it in NHL as well. I don't know why, I'm a junkie for that type of stuff...probably as a result of playing over 80+ seasons in a fantasy league in OOTP5, but that's neither here nor there...

-I guess Realm may be happy to hear that a frozen franchise glitch has been fixed...

-Cool that you can see team attendance and "team state" in a Team Card screen. Hopefully this comes attached with dynamic attendance...and I wouldn't mind any of the obscure trivia items we see in NBA 2K every year either (but not expecting it). Also informative to see other teams' captaincy without going into an actual game.

-What about smaller market teams that are exceptions to the rule (Minnesota, Buffalo)? Will they still have "guaranteed sellouts" based on the enthusiasm over hockey in the area? I'm asking this because the Sabres haven't made the playoffs in two years and have sold out of season tickets due to the fanbase's enthusiasm (or happiness with mediocrity, take your pick).

All in all, should be an entertaining year in both games' franchise modes...providing, of course, that 2K10 can keep excitement high at the trade deadline and mirror the strategic acquiring of players that EA's Be A GM has already promoted.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Thanks for the link...some really good & promising stuff in there. Sounds like they spent a good amount of time QA'ing for bugs, which is what was desperately needed. I really like the edit lines screen and also the "trade override" feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 17

Wow, very impressed with the franchise mode features. Trade override so that you can keep rosters up to date with the real NHL without controlling all 30 teams, the ability to realign the divisions, revamped budget system, franchise freeze fixes... Looks like a ton of work was done!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Banned

rangersfan30's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Wow, very impressed with the franchise mode features. Trade override so that you can keep rosters up to date with the real NHL without controlling all 30 teams, the ability to realign the divisions, revamped budget system, franchise freeze fixes... Looks like a ton of work was done!

I have been saying since the demo fiasco that i wasnt getting either game but after reading the franchise insight i am having second thoughts.

I'll wait and see how i feel because part of me is saying screw these game companies and their maybe next year attitude (EA full franchise control????) and the other is needing a Hockey game so i can get my fix.

Decisions decisions
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30
I have been saying since the demo fiasco that i wasnt getting either game but after reading the franchise insight i am having second thoughts.

I'll wait and see how i feel because part of me is saying screw these game companies and their maybe next year attitude (EA full franchise control????) and the other is needing a Hockey game so i can get my fix.

Decisions decisions
ohhhh comon you know....you'll end up pre-ordering both games

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »