Home

NHL 10 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Review within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Thanks a lot. The GAA seem a bit high. Uually there will be around 2 or so G with a GAA of lower then 2. Since you were saying it was only through 30 games, those save % numbers will probably decrease. To where they were in last years game. You would think being this has been an on going issue for pretty much the last few years and on every next gen verson that they would have addressed this by now. Also like I said Madden 10 has a crap stat engine. Where a starting HB (ex. Reggie Bush, Ryan Grant, Darren McFadden) will have something like 500 yards on 200 carries and a 2.5 YPC. Not only would those players get cut in the real NFL with numbers like that. But if they put up those kinds of numbers this year they would all be rated somewhere in the 50's on M11. Yet for some reason they increase by up to 5-6 points. I knew that new "Potential rating was a bad idea. When I 1st heard about the potential rating I brought it to Ian and Donny's attention as a possible problem, and they both passed me off.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: NHL 10 Review

Those stats are all from the end of the season, but I just filtered out the goalies who didn't have more than 30 starts.

All of the goalies in the top five lists started 60-ish games overall.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 13

PYA-MUSTANG86 what are you talking about there are usually a few lower than 2.00 GAA? Maybe in the playoffs...no way in the regular season. Last year, out of all goalies with atleast 50 starts, Tim Thomas had the lowest GAA at 2.10. The next closest was Niklas Backstrom at 2.33. Those stats look right on the mark.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5
Jayson, the NHL team documented several changes they were making with an early patch, based on demo feedback. One of those items was CPU passing. From the videos they shared, it's definitely an improvement post-patch.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

I have been struggling with my decision between this game and 2k10. I can only afford one game and want to make the right choice. Despite your high praise for this game you bring up three points that really are huge sore spots for me:

1. CPU robo-passing
2. Dumb teammate AI
3. Lifeless franchise mode

Being mainly an offline franchise guy I think it's easy to see why these 3 areas are a major concern for me.

I'm anxious to see what you guys think of 2k10 as this site and GameShark are pretty much the only two sites whose reviews I consider to have any merit.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHCross
Jayson, the NHL team documented several changes they were making with an early patch, based on demo feedback. One of those items was CPU passing. From the videos they shared, it's definitely an improvement post-patch.
Given how great the NHL team was with their patches last year, I wouldn't be surprised if some of NHL 10's issues get addressed early-on with patches or tuner sets.

Right now, though, it looks like EA has their hands full trying to fix the overloaded online servers.

Guess they didn't learn their lesson from last year's server fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
I have been struggling with my decision between this game and 2k10. I can only afford one game and want to make the right choice. Despite your high praise for this game you bring up three points that really are huge sore spots for me:

1. CPU robo-passing
2. Dumb teammate AI
3. Lifeless franchise mode

Being mainly an offline franchise guy I think it's easy to see why these 3 areas are a major concern for me.

I'm anxious to see what you guys think of 2k10 as this site and GameShark are pretty much the only two sites whose reviews I consider to have any merit.
We were able to get our review of NHL 10 published in time for launch day because EA was gracious enough to send us a reviewable copy two weeks in advance.

Unfortunately, 2K's game arrived in our reviewer's hands only a few days before launch, so we will probably have to wait until late this week or early next week before the 2K10 review is ready to go.

That said, since there's no demo this year, my experience with 2K10 is limited to watching videos of it online, so I don't have much basis to make a comparison between the two games aside from how they look graphically.

For whatever it's worth to you, I'm still having a lot of fun with the NHL 10 offline modes (mainly Be a Pro) even in spite of its flaws.

There are moments of frustration for sure, but overall, modes like Be a Pro are still a great experience.

Last edited by jyoung; 09-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Right now, though, it looks like EA has their hands full trying to fix the overloaded online servers.
Different teams. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to fix a server problem so I'm still free to work on gameplay fixes.

(BTW, there is a fix already up for the servers, we'll see tonight if it remedies the problem fully).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

It looks like the lobbies are finally stable enough to where they actually work now, but unfortunately, there is still some serious lag going on once you get in a match.

One step at a time, I suppose.

Last edited by jyoung; 09-17-2009 at 12:44 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »