Home

Need for Speed Shift Review

This is a discussion on Need for Speed Shift Review within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Need for Speed Shift Review

Need for Speed: Shift is the latest entry in the long-running racing series from Electronic Arts (EA). After a number of recent games in the series that were less than well received, EA decided to transfer development duties to Slightly Mad Studios, which is comprised of some of the developers behind the highly acclaimed GTR racing series on the PC. EA clearly wanted Slightly Mad Studios to revive the Need for Speed franchise and help it regain a top spot amongst racing games.

And it appears that EA’s trust was well placed. Though Need for Speed: Shift strives for realistic track racing more than the arcade-like and free-roam aspects of its predecessors, it is still one of the best games in the series in quite some time -- possibly ever.

From the crisp, clear graphics and highly detailed interiors and exteriors of cars to the best in-car driving camera of any racing game to date to a fun, rewarding and varied career mode, Need for Speed: Shift is worthy of your attention -- even if you had given up on the venerable franchise after its recent installments. Shift has now proven that it deserves to be talked about in the same breath as Forza and Gran Turismo.

Read More - Need for Speed Shift Review

Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Great review. This game could be the surprise of the year for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
This thing has pretty much floored me. I didn't take this one to review because I've got Dirt 2 on my plate, but after reading Jack's take on it, I had to grab it. Haven't been disappointed--it's a very solid, edge-of-your-seat racer.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3
I think your giving this game too much credit. It is what it is-a great looking racing game. But IMO, once GRiD 2, Forza 3 and GT5 are released, NFS Shift will ultimately not be in the same class. Those franchises(GRiD and Forza more recently) have set the bar pretty high on in cockpit views, tracks, car detail, etc. This is EA's first stab at a racing game in the same vein. But they came up short. Just the simple fact that Forza will implement a Instant Replay feature just like the GRiD's 'Flashback' replay feature. What seemed like a novelty feature in GRiD in 2008, is now picked up by a genre leader in Forza 3? Here's an innovation that is not in NFS. Why not? NFS is playing catch up and it will be readily apparent when it's competitors come out.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6
gotta agree w the review. picked the game up yesterday & have been addicted to it! i'm a Gran Turismo fan, & even though I knew this game wouldnt be as good as GT5, its as close as you can get. if anyone likes the whole JDM import scene, this game has pretty much all the cars that Japanese tuners modify & the tuners are all in this. you can get parts from JUN, HKS, Endless, JIC just to name a VERY few, as well as wheels from Work, Volk (TE's, CE's..), 5Zigen etc etc. this games GREAT! i cant stop playing...the graphics & sounds are unbelievable! such a fun game & def worthy of the 9 as well as in the same category of GT5. its a def buy if you're up-in-the-air about it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
I'm very interested in this game, but have to agree with kwanchangkang. The problem is that there is an abundance of great racers on 360, and while I'm sure I would enjoy paying $59 and getting some thrills with this one, I can't say yet that I'd rather own it than Forza 3, or that I wouldn't also enjoy spending more time with DiRT and GrID, which I already own.

The selling point for NFS: Shift is clearly the cockpit view, but if I've never enjoyed playing with a cockpit view, am I going to like this one just because it's done better? Just becuase something is closer to real life doesn't mean it's fun to play as a video game. I really enjoy seeing the car damage in Forza and GRiD, but if I'm in the cockpit all the time, how would I even know what's going on with my car (or see how my car looks?)
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Need for Speed Shift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
The selling point for NFS: Shift is clearly the cockpit view, but if I've never enjoyed playing with a cockpit view, am I going to like this one just because it's done better? Just becuase something is closer to real life doesn't mean it's fun to play as a video game. I really enjoy seeing the car damage in Forza and GRiD, but if I'm in the cockpit all the time, how would I even know what's going on with my car (or see how my car looks?)
I, myself, have never liked racing in the cockpit view. However, with NFS:Shift, I prefer to use the cockpit view. You are just able to see much more of the track and actually able to see the turns before you are all the way up on them. The detail that they went with the cockpits are jawdropping imo. I have a RX8 in my real life lol, and the games cockpit of the RX8 is spot on. I am really having fun with this game right now and if this is a sign of things to come this year from racers, I cant wait to see what Forza has in store.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Need for Speed Shift Review

Nice review Jack.

Can you play two players against each other on the same console earn points for both people to unlock stuff or get new cars? In your review you were saying that you can earn points for customizing your car in quick race, online, or in career, but almost always they overlook letting people build up their cars in head to head races for players on the same console.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »