Home

NBA Live 10: New Modes Revealed (IGN)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10: New Modes Revealed (IGN) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NBA Live 10: New Modes Revealed (IGN)

I LOVE the idea behind dynamic season. I only have a couple of worries:

1. Is this a sim engine crutch? I don't know. Let the real games be your sim engine? Sure. You'll get realistic stats, but I'd feel better knowing the simulator was sound.

2. The biggest worry and it affects everything, including #1 - divergence. What if I play game that, in real life, an key injury occurred? How is that handled? Can I prevent it from happening? Do I even WANT to? What happens if I play a game and get a guy hurt that isn't hurt in real life. Will the mode realistically represent what that player's loss means to the team?

Really, once your changes really start to diverge from real life, of what real use is the mode?

Anyway, these are just questions - rhetorical mostly. The idea is absolutely awesome though.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I LOVE the idea behind dynamic season. I only have a couple of worries:

1. Is this a sim engine crutch? I don't know. Let the real games be your sim engine? Sure. You'll get realistic stats, but I'd feel better knowing the simulator was sound.

2. The biggest worry and it affects everything, including #1 - divergence. What if I play game that, in real life, an key injury occurred? How is that handled? Can I prevent it from happening? Do I even WANT to? What happens if I play a game and get a guy hurt that isn't hurt in real life. Will the mode realistically represent what that player's loss means to the team?

Really, once your changes really start to diverge from real life, of what real use is the mode?

Anyway, these are just questions - rhetorical mostly. The idea is absolutely awesome though.
My answers to your concerns:

I wouldn't look it as a crutch because this is how its supposed to be this game is all about simulating the real NBA. So the simulator engine really has nothing to do with it imo.

2. When a player is injured they are injured in dynamic season and you can play w/ them until they are available irl. Because once again this mode is all about simulating the real NBA. Also players can't get injured during dynamic season b/c that would throw the game off track.

I think the only real thing you have control over is wins/losses and the league's stats.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2
i dont understand why people would get nba live 10, 2k originally started the signature moves and style, and live is copying them and live 10 isn't even close to half of what 2k10 has.

i played the demo of live 10 on ps3 and i saw high improvements from live 09 which was really really terrible. however, they're not quite there yet, their "new" dribble system adds the feature to let you hold down R2 and the player does crossover size ups, which was kinda nice but it's not like kobe has his own and d wade has his own... i seen roy, paul, anthony all do the same moves as i was paying attention carefully, meaning they didnt add much effort to add a specific dribble move for each character. another thing is the they had the same left and right fake and pulling right trigger back does a back step dribble everytime making the right stick dribbling repetetive and boring. i liked the new ways of shooting thought, letting you use the euro step and a hop to the left or right before the shot was nice. but 2k offers so much dribbles even half spins and wrap arounds, to paul's signature dribbles and to crawford's dribbles but you have to know how to perform them

another annoying thing on live is the ball going through the rim...if anyone noticed it, live series had the same ball-to-rim animations, the ball either bounces off the rim and it's off, or it splashes through the rim and it's in.. unlike 2k which has realistic ball bouncing, even if it hit the top of the backboard and it could still go in, or spinning in and out then bounces on the board and goes in, this is specific important details. 2k also added RANDOM animations which was an example that a player could hit a guy mopping the floor and there would be an animation maybe a collision and the player helping him get back up. maybe shaw jumping to the crowd to dive the ball and struggling to get back up and probably the often camera man collision

commentary is a BIG deal too, live 10's commentary is about the same as the past, marv albert and steve kerr, steve kerr....steve kerr...he's not even in that business anymore.. while 2k10 added fresh new commentary which updates as the game goes on.. it shows more of the commentators relationship to each other which doesnt make the game boring and always repeating.

live 08 and 09 sucked, live 10 is way better, even with the addition of mike wang (the architect gameplay designer of nba2kseries who was cut off cus of layoffs) but i dont see how a year effort can overcome nba2k10 which is already way up there
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Blah. This company had this first and this had this... WTF? It's basketball, what both companies try to copy is NBA, so just don't go there.... On the individual animations and representation 2k gets my vote(as in- better but not the only option!), but there is something in Live that gives me the feeling of true basketball.... Player's habits, defense, offensive execution... If 2k implemented this right this year than yes they have overall better product. But this is basketball and this is what EA and VC are trying to do and it is gooooood for us!!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Dynamic Season should be awesome and keep us going for the whole season.

Why some 2K diehards keep coming to the NBA Live boards to claim how much superior 2K is, is beyond me.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 16

I don't get da point of live run...

"I dont want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant." Kobe Bryant
Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
NBA LIVE Producer

iminurbase's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththebuck
i dont understand why people would get nba live 10, 2k originally started the signature moves and style, and live is copying them and live 10 isn't even close to half of what 2k10 has.

i played the demo of live 10 on ps3 and i saw high improvements from live 09 which was really really terrible. however, they're not quite there yet, their "new" dribble system adds the feature to let you hold down R2 and the player does crossover size ups, which was kinda nice but it's not like kobe has his own and d wade has his own... i seen roy, paul, anthony all do the same moves as i was paying attention carefully, meaning they didnt add much effort to add a specific dribble move for each character. another thing is the they had the same left and right fake and pulling right trigger back does a back step dribble everytime making the right stick dribbling repetetive and boring. i liked the new ways of shooting thought, letting you use the euro step and a hop to the left or right before the shot was nice. but 2k offers so much dribbles even half spins and wrap arounds, to paul's signature dribbles and to crawford's dribbles but you have to know how to perform them

another annoying thing on live is the ball going through the rim...if anyone noticed it, live series had the same ball-to-rim animations, the ball either bounces off the rim and it's off, or it splashes through the rim and it's in.. unlike 2k which has realistic ball bouncing, even if it hit the top of the backboard and it could still go in, or spinning in and out then bounces on the board and goes in, this is specific important details. 2k also added RANDOM animations which was an example that a player could hit a guy mopping the floor and there would be an animation maybe a collision and the player helping him get back up. maybe shaw jumping to the crowd to dive the ball and struggling to get back up and probably the often camera man collision

commentary is a BIG deal too, live 10's commentary is about the same as the past, marv albert and steve kerr, steve kerr....steve kerr...he's not even in that business anymore.. while 2k10 added fresh new commentary which updates as the game goes on.. it shows more of the commentators relationship to each other which doesnt make the game boring and always repeating.

live 08 and 09 sucked, live 10 is way better, even with the addition of mike wang (the architect gameplay designer of nba2kseries who was cut off cus of layoffs) but i dont see how a year effort can overcome nba2k10 which is already way up there
Mike Wang was layed-off from 2K. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 11

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »