Home

NHL 10: Goalie Guide

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Goalie Guide within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 10: Goalie Guide

It's hard to believe that, in spite of the game's reworked control scheme and enhanced animation system, there actually seems to be less human goalies playing online in NHL 10 than there were in NHL 09.

While it's true that NHL 10's AI goalies may still be better at the position than 95 percent of their human counterparts, it still seems like a poor reason to avoid what has become -- thanks to this year's tweaks -- one of the game's most fun positions.

So for anyone who is brave enough to step in the net and attempt to become a part of that top five percent who can actually outwork the AI in goal, here are some quick tips that should help you lead your team to victory.

Read More - NHL 10: Goalie Guide
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
I have a .912 save percentage and I play goalie regularly. The only tip I have is Shot Recovery is the most important rating to boost up along with glove save high and stick high. Angles as last year also helped you stick to the post quicker and harder then when your angles rating is low.

I also found that too much rebound control can be a bad thing sicne the puck can be left dead right in front for an easy goal. Infact having a lower rebound control and great shot recovery seems to me to be the best bet.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Interesting, I always preferred the high rebound control since loose pucks around your feet can be easily covered this year with the new butterfly button (left trigger).

Shot recovery basically affects how quickly your goalie can reposition himself after making the first save, so I guess it's something you'd need if your rebound control was low but not so much if rebound control was high since there will be very few second shots.

The nice thing about NHL 10 is that it allows for a bit more diversity in player builds than last year's game.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 10: Goalie Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Interesting, I always preferred the high rebound control since loose pucks around your feet can be easily covered this year with the new butterfly button (left trigger).

Shot recovery basically affects how quickly your goalie can reposition himself after making the first save, so I guess it's something you'd need if your rebound control was low but not so much if rebound control was high since there will be very few second shots.

The nice thing about NHL 10 is that it allows for a bit more diversity in player builds than last year's game.
What I don't like about rebound control is the automatic puck pick ups it tries to do. Sometimes you get the "hungry hungry hippo" animation and since the puckis right there at the goal mouth its so easy to just tap it in.

With the rebound control low and my shot recovery at 95 my player instantly recovers from any and all save animations to make multiple saves 3-4 and even 5 in succession when needed.

Plus with the rebound bouncing out a bit more it gives more of a buffer time for me to reposition and make move saves which coincidentally raises my save percentage.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Thanks for the guide! I play goalie in be a pro, but I find it very punishing at times. I could have 2 stellar periods, but a couple lucky goals in the 3rd can wreck my performance scores at the end.
Still, I like it, and it actually plays a bit like being in net "for real", which I did for a number of years in the 80's and 90's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

huge thanks for this guide! i like playing goalie even though i have like a 3.5 GAA

pretty damn intense.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
I like to use the hug post trigger on cross crease or one timer opportunites. It ensures you go far enough and not to far. Set up guy coming in on my right, I see a guy ready for the pass on the left. As he passes it, left analog stick left quickly followed by both triggers pressed, u slide over nicely with the paddle down. Works good for me anyways.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've been looking a guide like this, so good job putting this up.
I've only played few Goalie games and i just can't seems to figure out weather im suposed to rely on auto-saves or am i suposed to use right stick to press left or right to make save attempt. It is frustrating to let in 5 goals a game and everything i do have no impact on score line.

If i come out of the crease to get a slapper....REBOUND.....GOAL!. Cross crease pass.....GOAL!
Slapper as i am being screened....GOAL! or it hits a defender or bounces off of me and creates juicyest REBOUND on planet and guess what....GOAL!

Sometimes i get stucked between the two posts in a butterfly and cant move.....well thats my fault as im too deep on the net. I hope some of you would help out with the auto-save feature as im strugling to figure weather i use right stick to make a save or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »