Home

Madden NFL Arcade Hands-On Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL Arcade Hands-On Preview (IGN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL Arcade Hands-On Preview (IGN)

I'm kinda sick that they are wasting resources on this kind of stuff....
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 49

I just wish this effort could have been towards improving Madden more. Arcade football, just isnt for me personally.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Actually, the Arcade Hockey from EA was a fun to play as HE double ll hockey sticks. The $15.00 price is too much, but I'm not going to knock anything before I try it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 9

Once again..EA going in the wrong direction. Seriously, does anyone (older than 8 years old) actually buy these games? Bigs, Street, Arcade...I really don't get the appeal.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
Once again..EA going in the wrong direction. Seriously, does anyone (older than 8 years old) actually buy these games? Bigs, Street, Arcade...I really don't get the appeal.
Yes people do. Many actually. OSers arent even close to being the majority. Most people dont give a **** about how "sim" a game is.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Yes people do. Many actually. OSers arent even close to being the majority. Most people dont give a **** about how "sim" a game is.
Sim or no sim I still don't get it. The original RBI Baseball was far from a sim but it at least resembled baseball at the time and it was fun. I don't get the appeal of the "wacky" over the top antics of these games. More power to those who like it I guess.

Now if they wanted to get crazy and give you better/more control of the action (e.g. pass placement, tighter control of your runner/defender) than we already have in the "sim" Madden I'd be all for it and would probably like the game even with the "wackyness". But I'm taking into account EA and Maddens history here and I have no reason to believe that's what they're doing with this game.

In what I consider a similar style game, I downloaded the demo for "The Bigs" and played about a half an inning and was left wondering how anyone could actually enjoy that....I would imagine this thing is probably the same...who knows, maybe it will be fun for more than 15 seconds?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
The problem with this game is that it's too much like Madden. All they really did was limit the playbook, add some lame powerups (the one that flips the score is about the illest-conceived powerup I've ever seen in a sports game) and give the player models a sort of "Wii" makeover. The reason games like Blitz, Mutant League, NFL Street, et al. were popular is because they had some personality to them that helped separate the experience from your usual football sim. The reason this game looks boring, even with the barebones, "arcade" trimmings, is because it's fundamentally still a Madden game.

The same thing keeps me from being interested in the NHL 3 on 3 game or 2K's BIGS series.

If these companies want to make an arcade game, go all out and give us a game with some personality and flair instead of rehashing your "sim" product with only a few added "arcade" gimmicks.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The problem with this game is that it's too much like Madden. All they really did was limit the playbook, add some lame powerups (the one that flips the score is about the illest-conceived powerup I've ever seen in a sports game) and give the player models a sort of "Wii" makeover. The reason games like Blitz, Mutant League, NFL Street, et al. were popular is because they had some personality to them that helped separate the experience from your usual football sim. The reason this game looks boring, even with the barebones, "arcade" trimmings, is because it's fundamentally still a Madden game.

The same thing keeps me from being interested in the NHL 3 on 3 game or 2K's BIGS series.

If these companies want to make an arcade game, go all out and give us a game with some personality and flair instead of rehashing your "sim" product with only a few added "arcade" gimmicks.
I watched the video's of this game on ign.com and it does look like Madden with 5 players and a stripped down playbook...you're right on the money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »